Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Either way, if they are on a line together, it could really be great for Zacha's game. Zacha likes to pass, Hughes likes to pass, it could make for some real pretty hockey. The concern of "who shoots?" is there but I think the plays could be such that the time to shoot will be obvious.

Well one thing about Hughes and Zacha is that Zacha will have probably 10 chances per game to get a goal. Surely he'll convert on one of them :) Also, imo, Zacha is a shooter. He's just deferring to the pass because he has 0 confidence.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe bring in a guy like Ferland to add some physicality. He’s a pretty good player.
Maybe, but where do you slot him? #2 LW? Or Wood at #2 and Ferland with Zajac and Coleman? But where is Zacha then?

The #'s crunch is such that I think that without a trade that sends an NHL player(or 2) the other way I don't see how we add a guy like Ferland.

We are in position for such a trade if Shero feels that need. We have #'s, but in the NHL and lined up in Bing for next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well one thing about Hughes and Zacha is that Zacha will have probably 10 chances per game to get a goal. Surely he'll convert on one of them :) Also, imo, Zacha is a shooter. He's just deferring to the pass because he has 0 confidence.
Zacha definitely has a very good shot, maybe not super accurate, but he can launch it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Zacha doesn't defer to the pass. He just doesn't have the puck in scoring areas very often.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Zacha doesn't defer to the pass. He just doesn't have the puck in scoring areas very often.
Curious as to your thoughts on this. Is it because Zacha doesn't usually play with guys who are good at distributing the puck (I'm thinking Wood, Palms, Stafford here; I know he as also spent some time with Bratt and Johanson earlier in the year but he and MarJo seemed to cancel each other out) or is it he just doesn't have a good sense as to where to be in the offensive zone. I know when I watch him play and he doesn't have the puck he seems to go to areas in the o-zone where it doesn't seem like he could possible get a good scoring chance or get a shot off.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I was thinking similarly, if Hughes is our pick, then to me it means Zacha gets shifted to the wing maybe only until Zajac is done or maybe becomes our 4th line center (which is nuts to think about lol).

Hall-Nico-Palms
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Whomever.

I'm not saying this is perfect, but I feel like I can get behind this if Zacha becomes the player we think he can.

If we add a winger to our lineup via trade or FA

Hall-Nico-Palms
FA-Hughes-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Coleman
Whomever-Zajac-Whomever.

I don't know, but it's fun to speculate about all of it. :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Curious as to your thoughts on this. Is it because Zacha doesn't usually play with guys who are good at distributing the puck (I'm thinking Wood, Palms, Stafford here; I know he as also spent some time with Bratt and Johanson earlier in the year but he and MarJo seemed to cancel each other out) or is it he just doesn't have a good sense as to where to be in the offensive zone. I know when I watch him play and he doesn't have the puck he seems to go to areas in the o-zone where it doesn't seem like he could possible get a good scoring chance or get a shot off.

Or perhaps he defers to the pass instead of taking the puck and just attacking the net. Getting into those scoring area's.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Maybe, but where do you slot him? #2 LW? Or Wood at #2 and Ferland with Zajac and Coleman? But where is Zacha then?

The #'s crunch is such that I think that without a trade that sends an NHL player(or 2) the other way I don't see how we add a guy like Ferland.

We are in position for such a trade if Shero feels that need. We have #'s, but in the NHL and lined up in Bing for next year.
Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Ferland-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Rooney/Seney/McLeod-Bastian/Anderson

There’s a lot of forward options tho. I think Eberle makes too much sense not to happen.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Wonder if Hynes tries to make a massive pitch to get Hughes on the WC team lol. He's too skilled to not be given a chance on the 3rd/4th line at least.
That would be great for him to get familiar with his future coach and hopefully Schneider if he goes as well.

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I was thinking similarly, if Hughes is our pick, then to me it means Zacha gets shifted to the wing maybe only until Zajac is done or maybe becomes our 4th line center (which is nuts to think about lol).

Hall-Nico-Palms
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Whomever.

I'm not saying this is perfect, but I feel like I can get behind this if Zacha becomes the player we think he can.

If we add a winger to our lineup via trade or FA

Hall-Nico-Palms
FA-Hughes-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Coleman
Whomever-Zajac-Whomever.

I don't know, but it's fun to speculate about all of it. :laugh:
I really want Skinner now. His speed and goal scoring ability would go great with Jack and Jesper. Plus a triple J line would be neat.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Ferland-Zajac-Coleman

There’s a lot of forward options tho. I think Eberle makes too much sense not to happen.
Where would Eberle fit though?

And more importantly, if we are concerned that we are young and small and not physical, Eberle does not sound like the answer to that question.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I feel like it's all of it - his linemates this season weren't always the best, but yeah, I don't think Zacha's very effective at getting open in the offensive zone for a pass, and I don't think he's very effective at beating defenders 1 on 1, nor fast enough to get behind them consistently either. It seems like he was less deferential in the second half of the season - the drive on Ekblad in game 82 is a highlight - but his shot rate wasn't great even so.

Reactions: Azathoth

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Ferland-Zajac-Coleman

I know this wouldn’t happen and we probably couldn’t afford it, but what about Ebere AND Skinner.

Hall- Hischier- Eberle
Skinner-Hughes-Palms
Boqvist-Zacha-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Wood

With an offense like that, who needs defensemen lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I feel like it's all of it - his linemates this season weren't always the best, but yeah, I don't think Zacha's very effective at getting open in the offensive zone for a pass, and I don't think he's very effective at beating defenders 1 on 1, nor fast enough to get behind them consistently either. It seems like he was less deferential in the second half of the season - the drive on Ekblad in game 82 is a highlight - but his shot rate wasn't great even so.
I see it more as a mindset. A confidence issue. A willingness to be more aggressive.

Wood get's a ton of shots on net. So does Coleman. Sure these guys have more speed, but are they better in any other area? Their willingness to just attack the net looks to me like the most discernible difference.

And they are wings so that is significant. Would Zacha at wing go about things differently? Would he really be a wing if he is on Hughes line? I don't know.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Where would Eberle fit though?

And more importantly, if we are concerned that we are young and small and not physical, Eberle does not sound like the answer to that question.
We don’t exactly have a glut of natural RWs. There could be a place for him here. He’s had a more consistent offensive career than Johansson. You could probably stick him on a line with Zajac and get 20+ goals 40+ points. He’s not a sexy option, but he’s always been a good player and he’s boys with our most important player.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If we need someone to bolster our bottom six, and if the Devils need someone for physicality how about Wayne Simmons? I can't imagine him costing a lot. He could bring a dynamic not seen here since prime David Clarkson. A grinder that can play.

2x2.5 to get him on the bottom six...

Hall- Hischier- Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palms
Boqvist-Zacha-Simmons
Coleman-Zajac-Wood

That's a pretty well rounded forward corps.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Here are my updated realistic offseason dream scenarios.

Dream 1.
Land Erik Karlsson

Dream 2.
Land Artemi Panarin

Dream 3.
Complete a trade to acquire Cam Fowler/Hampus Lindholm/Jonas Brodin/Darnell Nurse/Oscar Klefbom
(only reason I kept the list at these defensemen is because I think they are the most realistic to acquire)

Dream 4.
Acquire one of these players via offersheet. Trouba/Kapanen/Johnsson/Laine/Connor/Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad