Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Like we can run on Mac Black and Johnson or Lack or whoever as backup.

They get a capable* NHL starter who isn't 100 years old and running off of that one playoff year in 2012.

It's not a bad starting point TBH
I mean... it's a heck of a risk relying on Blackwood. He looked good but it's a small sample size, and he's only one year removed from being demoted to the ECHL, but I think I'd take the risk.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would anyone of you consider including Schneider in a potential Calgary deal?

I'm tempted to say I'd do it for Hanifin.

But our goaltending would be horrific and the UFA pool aside from Bobrovsky is just as risky as keeping Schneider (Elliot, Varlamov, Mike Smith, and Talbot). Mrazek and Lehner would be interesting as well, but who knows what you really have with those two.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

But our goaltending would be horrific and the UFA pool aside from Bobrovsky is just as risky as keeping Schneider (Elliot, Varlamov, Mike Smith, and Talbot). Mrazek and Lehner would be interesting as well, but who knows what you really have with those two.
I was actually a huge Lehner fan last year. If we didn't have both Cory and KK, I would have been really hot to sign him.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I doubt there is a GM in the league that would trade anything of value for Corey.

I hope he continues to bounce back next year but why would a different team be willing to take on his contract and make the gamble rather than try a much cheaper gamble with a different player?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
At what point of the year do you think Shero has his best understanding of if Hall is staying or not?

If I was Shero Id want that type of information pre-draft so he can make some moves

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would anyone of you consider including Schneider in a potential Calgary deal?
Absolutely. He's a .906% goalie (or threabouts, maybe .907% if you include the playoffs last year) over the last 3 years and 130+ games. Not only isn't it a sure thing that he's good again, the odds are very against it happening. Whether it's due to his hip having recurring problems or the fact that he'll be 34 years old at the end of next year. He's been poor for nearly the last third of his total NHL career now. I don't see him as being a valuable player anymore, so I would see it as no loss if he's gone. He's serviceable and will have hot streaks, but I'd bet on him being a .90-x% goalie again next year, unless he has a one-off comeback year or thrives in a reduced role. I still maintain that he won't finish his current contract here. At least not as an active player. He'll be LTIR'd or bought out (amnesty with the new CBA or otherwise) before his deal is done. Or (probably less likely though) traded for another bad contract or with lots of salary retained.
Like we can run on Mac Black and Johnson or Lack or whoever as backup.

They get a capable* NHL starter who isn't 100 years old and running off of that one playoff year in 2012.

It's not a bad starting point TBH
Johnson and Lack aren't NHL caliber backups /goalies anymore. I'd be MUCH more comfortable with Schneider over either of them. That's how bad both of these guys are at the NHL level these days.

Smith isn't signed for next year in Calgary. They'll go with Rittich and maybe sign some other guy to be backup. I wouldn't completely rule out them re-signing Smith to be Rittich's backup or timeshare though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Lehner is a MUCH better goalie than Schneider over the last 3 years. His worst year over the last 3 years is equal to Cory's best year in that period.

I agree with you on Mrazek though. Too much of a gamble.

Varlamov is probably better than current Cory, but might get a stupid contract and probably has many, if not more injury problems than the current Cory. His next contract could wind up being worse than Cory's current contract within a year or two. Especially since Cory's contract will be winding down and Varlamov might get a 4-5 year deal starting this year.

Speaking of Calgary, maybe they sign Varlamov. Or Columbus if Bobrovsky walks. Bobrovsky's new deal probably won't be like Price's contract, but it will be pretty poor, unless he takes a very friendly deal.

Elliott is a backup at best, Talbot is a backup at best, Mike Smith might not even be an NHL goalie anymore. And he's 37 and might not even play in the league after this year.

I doubt there is a GM in the league that would trade anything of value for Corey.

I hope he continues to bounce back next year but why would a different team be willing to take on his contract and make the gamble rather than try a much cheaper gamble with a different player?
His value is a negative right now. You'd have to wheel and deal to move him. He's probably got one of the worst goalie contracts in the league right now. Price (too much term and cap hit), Quick (contract ends one year after Cory's and he misses significant time with injury every other year, is the same age and Schneider and just had a worse year than Schneider ever had and by quite a bit), Jones (painfully average, too much term left, just had a worse year than Schneider ever had) and probably Cory are the top 4.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Lehner is a MUCH better goalie than Schneider over the last 3 years. His worst year over the last 3 years is equal to Cory's best year in that period.

I agree with you on Mrazek though. Too much of a gamble.

Varlamov is probably better than current Cory, but might get a stupid contract and probably has many, if not more injury problems than the current Cory. His next contract could wind up being worse than Cory's current contract within a year or two. Especially since Cory's contract will be winding down and Varlamov might get a 4-5 year deal starting this year.

Speaking of Calgary, maybe they sign Varlamov. Or Columbus if Bobrovsky walks. Bobrovsky's new deal probably won't be like Price's contract, but it will be pretty poor, unless he takes a very friendly deal.

Elliott is a backup at best, Talbot is a backup at best, Mike Smith might not even be an NHL goalie anymore. And he's 37 and might not even play in the league after this year.

His value is a negative right now. You'd have to wheel and deal to move him. He's probably got one of the worst goalie contracts in the league right now. Price (too much term and cap hit), Quick (contract ends one year after Cory's and he misses significant time with injury every other year, is the same age and Schneider and just had a worse year than Schneider ever had and by quite a bit), Jones (painfully average, too much term left, just had a worse year than Schneider ever had) and probably Cory are the top 4.

I know you dislike Martin Jones and a lot of his is deserved but he was really quite good in their last series against Colorado as well as the Vegas series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know you dislike Martin Jones and a lot of his is deserved but he was really quite good in their last series against Colorado as well as the Vegas series.
Colorado series, yes. Vegas series, no.

He was horrific in games 2-4 against Vegas and let in two weak goals in game 7 against Vegas.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Flames board wants Nico as the starting point for a Noah deal.

Reminds me of the Canucks Reddit post I saw that proposed we trade our 2019 1st for their 2019 1st, 3rd round and Brenden Gaunce.

*Cue circus music*

Reactions: MichaelJ

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Reminds me of the Canucks Reddit post I saw that proposed we trade our 2019 1st for their 2019 1st, 3rd round and Brenden Gaunce.

*Cue circus music*

wait-what-meme-16.jpg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

*Cue circus music*

Can you blame them?

The players they traded to land the package that included Hanifin are in the Conference Finals, while the Flames have already gotten in their golf trip and are now sitting on their couches.

I’d want a king’s ransom, too.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also, no one is going to give up anything of value for Schneider without seeing more from him. Not even Calgary.

Would they take a flyer on him? Sure. But I doubt they’d see Cory as having any positive value as a package piece for Hanifin. That’s crazy talk.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Greene is perfectly capable of playing 20-22 minutes a night with significant penalty kill time. And his defensive game should be better if he's playing next to a more well rounded partner.

You don't need to have Nashville's defense to have success.

Capable? I guess, but the results won’t be very good.

What “more well-rounded partner” are you talking about? Severson isn’t that. Vatanen, perhaps, but I’d prefer him paired with Smith.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Capable? I guess, but the results won’t be very good.

What “more well-rounded partner” are you talking about? Severson isn’t that. Vatanen, perhaps, but I’d prefer him paired with Smith.

I'm talking about Trouba as potentially being Greene's partner who plays a more well rounded game and is better than either Severson or Vatanen.

My point overall though is that since people here are certain: (1) think that the laws of hockey dictate that you must have three lefties and three righties on defense; and (2) Andy Greene is barely an NHL defenseman anymore, who is the left handed defenseman that can realistically be acquired to replace Greene that won't cost and arm and a leg.

The only answer I've seen here is Darnell Nurse, who i not that good and will require a massive overpayment since he is still very valuable to Edmonton.

The obsession with handedness is even more stupid if it leads you to pass up a rare opportunity to get a legitimate top pairing defenseman at a relative discount.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'm talking about Trouba as potentially being Greene's partner who plays a more well rounded game and is better than either Severson or Vatanen.

My point overall though is that since people here are certain: (1) think that the laws of hockey dictate that you must have three lefties and three righties on defense; and (2) Andy Greene is barely an NHL defenseman anymore, who is the left handed defenseman that can realistically be acquired to replace Greene that won't cost and arm and a leg.

The only answer I've seen here is Darnell Nurse, who i not that good and will require a massive overpayment since he is still very valuable to Edmonton.

The obsession with handedness is even more stupid if it leads you to pass up a rare opportunity to get a legitimate top pairing defenseman at a relative discount.

I'd still look into Josh Manson.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Whatever discount is available for Trouba (due to his alleged unwillingness to sign in WPG) will likely be negated by an ensuing bidding war. Winnipeg's lack of leverage will likely cause the price to start low, but I doubt it stays low. They'll still get a haul.

Secondly, who's obsessed with handedness? I've said many times (as have others, some agreeing with me) that our ideal-yet-realistic 2019-20 defense is XXX - Severson / Smith - Vatanen / Greene - Butcher. If I/we were so obsessed with handedness, wouldn't that bottom pair violate that?

Acquiring a LD1 balances our defense a lot more than acquiring another RHD. That's just a fact. That's why you're seeing a lot of posters clamoring for an LHD, as opposed to an RHD.

You're calling this "an obsession with handedness." The rest of us call it "balancing the defense."

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Whatever discount is available for Trouba (due to his alleged unwillingness to sign in WPG) will likely be negated by an ensuing bidding war. Winnipeg's lack of leverage will likely cause the price to start low, but I doubt it stays low. They'll still get a haul.

Secondly, who's obsessed with handedness? I've said many times (as have others, some agreeing with me) that our ideal-yet-realistic 2019-20 defense is XXX - Severson / Smith - Vatanen / Greene - Butcher. If I/we were so obsessed with handedness, wouldn't that bottom pair violate that?

Acquiring a LD1 balances our defense a lot more than acquiring another RHD. That's just a fact. That's why you're seeing a lot of posters clamoring for an LHD, as opposed to an RHD.

You're calling this "an obsession with handedness." The rest of us call it "balancing the defense."

No one is trading for Trouba unless he signs a long term extension as part of the deal. That limits further the number of teams that are potential trading partners. If he says he doesn't want to play here long term, so be it. If he does though, you'd be fool to pass it up because you're concentrated on getting a left handed defenseman who isn't out there to be had. And by "you" I mean the people here who are saying forget about getting a real impact defenseman at a discount because Andy Greene makes you sad.

Again, teams that do that stuff trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson to "balance" their defense.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Its not the ‘obsession’ over handidness - its a lack of understanding from the opposite side on how important handidness is

No offense but people who are suggesting guys play their off-sides when 90% of defenseman dont are lacking an understanding of how important it is in the defensive end.

Most of the time the only defenseman moving sides are offensive defenseman and even then its very rare.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

*Cue circus music*
You think thats bad?

A Vancouver fan said he wouldnt trade a single roster player 1-for-1 with NJ if it includes Hischier

A blatant troll but even then... its amazing people would even think of such things haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad