Devils 2019-20 Team Discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol especially in that showing tonight against Vegas
They didn’t have Karlsson or Kane in the lineup, so they’ll probably be a bit better than this on most nights. But I was getting a real 14-15 Devils vibe tonight.

Like when the team came back in 2014 and became a really bad possession team, despite being corsi warriors under Pete the two prior years and missing the playoffs. The Sharks did lose Pavelski though and had two pretty good players missing tonight. They did get rid of a black hole in Justin Braun, but tonight it looked like there were at least 4 Braun’s back there for the Sharks.

And for as much as I trash Andy Greene’s current abilities, Vlasic is definitely worse than Greene.

They’re gonna wish there was a 2020 lockout in about a year or two, so they could have gotten an amnesty buyout on that brutal contract. 7 more years to go, including this one.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Carrick had an amazing camp, everyone ****s on him.

Smith had a terrible camp, everyone is up in arms over him not making the team.

I'd get it if Carrick had a terrible camp and made the team, but Smith earned nothing. There are five guys in Bingo that earned more than Smith this camp. Let it go. He'll be 20 and ready next year, then we can stick him in Bingo as well and find something else to complain about.

Camille the Eel

I like Carrick. Calm, pretty strong on the puck, makes a good outlet pass, makes the right play. I liked him last year.

With respect to Smith, a question especially for those people who watched camp and not just the pre season games - how and why did Smith have a poor camp, as people are saying? Did he come in overweight, for example; out of shape, unprepared? Was there, is there perhaps an undisclosed injury?

It's hard for me to see how a guy with great tools and skills at 18 suddenly doesn't have them at 19 unless it's conditioning or injury. But people who watched the practices and camp sessions will have much more precise impressions of what exactly the issue was.

Or maybe it was just preseason game performance . . . in which case, did he switch sides, did he choke, was he not psychologically ready, were the mistakes mental and not physical?

I am just wondering.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Was just going to share this. :laugh:

I'm so f***ing fired up for tomorrow. Getting out of work at 2 to begin the festivities.

giphy.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I like Carrick. Calm, pretty strong on the puck, makes a good outlet pass, makes the right play. I liked him last year.

With respect to Smith, a question especially for those people who watched camp and not just the pre season games - how and why did Smith have a poor camp, as people are saying? Did he come in overweight, for example; out of shape, unprepared? Was there, is there perhaps an undisclosed injury?

It's hard for me to see how a guy with great tools and skills at 18 suddenly doesn't have them at 19 unless it's conditioning or injury. But people who watched the practices and camp sessions will have much more precise impressions of what exactly the issue was.

Or maybe it was just preseason game performance . . . in which case, did he switch sides, did he choke, was he not psychologically ready, were the mistakes mental and not physical?

I am just wondering.
I only watched the games, but I tend to think it was mental, whether it was pressure or overconfidence, or he just got in a rut at the wrong time, I don't know, but he was botching simple plays.

I also think, as a small guy without a ton of speed, he needs to be sharp mentally, or at least sharp with the puck, and he was certainly not the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is more Jesper.

I wonder if the vision is to have that bottom line being real physical and heavy to hopefully have the effectiveness of the line far outweigh the sum of the parts.

It’s a bummer for Boqvist if that’s the case but it’s worthwhile seeing if there can be some effectiveness from a 4th line like that. They’ll find ways to get Boqvist his games, even if he isn’t in the preferred lineup currently.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sometime in 2013 I said that a Pete DeBoer coached team will never win the Stanley Cup. I had a scare in 2016, but I still stand by that.

Bold prediction. I can't believe you went out on a limb like that. Given that 1 coach out of 35 or so wins a Stanley Cup every year, I can't imagine betting against any of them, but hey, you're right so far.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder if the vision is to have that bottom line being real physical and heavy to hopefully have the effectiveness of the line far outweigh the sum of the parts.

It’s a bummer for Boqvist if that’s the case but it’s worthwhile seeing if there can be some effectiveness from a 4th line like that. They’ll find ways to get Boqvist his games, even if he isn’t in the preferred lineup currently.
well they have 2 back to backs to start the season so I'd be surprised if he didn't play in one or two of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad