Devils 2019-20 Team Discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

That's such a dumb way of looking at this. Smith didn't play well, Smith wasn't prepared, Smith had a poor camp. Smith is the issue, not Shero, not Hynes, not Hayden, not Rooney, not a CHL rule, not Spokane.... SMITH DIDNT EARN HIS SPOT.
Oh I suspect that he’s been badly handled. Maybe a gifted coach could have developed him here now; or a bolder GM would have moved Greene somewhere, maybe promoted him to coach, opened a spot for the kid. Time will tell whether we’ve spoiled a prospect or not. I am not going to completely blame the kid. I think it’s been a dysfunctional situation with our defense group and that the Devils have been unwilling to figure out who their real futures are. Different sport but a Bill Belichek lets a Revis walk after a super bowl win no less, or trades away a Jamie Collins, when he thinks one guy has no future or the other has problems being coached. I don’t know where Smith fits in all this but I think it takes 2 to tango and that the failure to develop him in the NHL this year may be a mistake. Maybe . . . Maybe. But I don’t have a hell of a lot of faith in Hynes.

Clearly you have the better of the argument but I don’t want to hang it all on Smith. I think without Greene or Mueller in the way he may have developed well here by mid season.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
holy overreaction. it would be much more likely to ruin smiths development by bumping him up before he’s ready than by sending him down to work on things for another season. he’s 19

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Oh I suspect that he’s been badly handled. Maybe a gifted coach could have developed him here now; or a bolder GM would have moved Greene somewhere, maybe promoted him to coach, opened a spot for the kid. Time will tell whether we’ve spoiled a prospect or not. I am not going to completely blame the kid. I think it’s been a dysfunctional situation with our defense group and that the Devils have been unwilling to figure out who their real futures are. Different sport but a Bill Belichek lets a Revis walk after a super bowl win no less, or trades away a Jamie Collins, when he thinks one guy has no future or the other has problems being coached. I don’t know where Smith fits in all this but I think it takes 2 to tango and that the failure to develop him in the NHL this year may be a mistake. Maybe . . . Maybe. But I don’t have a hell of a lot of faith in Hynes.

Clearly you have the better of the argument but I don’t want to hang it all on Smith. I think without Greene or Mueller in the way he may have developed well here by mid season.

The Devils opened a spot for him. Do you honestly think that Mirco Mueller, a player they re-signed for 50% more than NHL minimum, is in the way of Ty Smith getting an NHL job? That spot was there for him to win and all of the preseason talk was that he would be on the roster. He didn't play well in preseason and he's not on the roster. The Devils are looking for a defenseman in trade because Ty Smith was supposed to win a spot and didn't. It's not some huge failure - he's 19, and if he hadn't had such a strong camp last year, I don't think a whole lot would be made of this.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I think it's fair to say that most coaches want some level of grit in the lineup.

Preferably they get it from players with skill, but if not we have certainly seen coaches give minutes to less skill guys, to both get grit into the lineup, but also to send a message.
Hynes did say that we need more “snarl” in our lineup in the offseason, but it’s a leap to say that he favors grit over skill, especially since he wants a speed-based system.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hynes did say that we need more “snarl” in our lineup in the offseason, but it’s a leap to say that he favors grit over skill, especially since he wants a speed-based system.

And Taylor basically mandated that they add more skill to the lineup if they want to be able to resign him.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
So NHL.com has our defense ranked as the 15th best in the league.

My guess is this has more to do with adding a big name like Subban in the offseason rather than the actual quality of our defense.

holy overreaction. it would be much more likely to ruin smiths development by bumping him up before he’s ready than by sending him down to work on things for another season. he’s 19

Ya, I think way too much is being made of this. He didn't play well enough to make the team. It would be ideal to put him in Binghamton, but that's not possible. And another year in juniors won't kill him. He'll have a better shot making it next year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Umm... Do you actually ever forget ANYTHING??? :DD
goldfish forget

elephants have very good memories

and then there's bleed
I don't remember much about that season, other than we sucked, we fired DeBoer (Sharks fans are angrily screaming for his firing right now), we had the three coaches and we played Tootoo on the first unite power play and on the top line with Cammalleri and Zajac. And a couple nice goals by Peter Harrold, who was a gigantic scrubini, if we've ever seen one.

And one other thing I remember is the fake ''Rare Lou Lamoriello interview'' video, made by our very own @SeidoN.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I don't remember much about that season, other than we sucked, we fired DeBoer (Sharks fans are angrily screaming for his firing right now), we had the three coaches and we played Tootoo on the first unite power play and on the top line with Cammalleri and Zajac. And a couple nice goals by Peter Harrold, who was a gigantic scrubini, if we've ever seen one.

And one other thing I remember is the fake ''Rare Lou Lamoriello interview'' video, made by our very own @SeidoN.

This still gets me to laugh.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

This still gets me to laugh.

The part that really gets me to just laugh uncontrollably is the part where he goes ''Even Conte is still here! The guy can't draft a forward to save his life! I can't wait to see his pick this year!'' in between him just laughing so hard he's gasping for breath. :laugh:

Kind of grim if you're not very high on Zacha.

Reactions: Tretyak 20 and nugg

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
The part that really gets me to just laugh uncontrollably is the part where he goes ''Even Conte is still here! I can't wait to see his pick this year!''. :laugh:

Kind of grim if you're not very high on Zacha.
That part is gold.
The I don’t understand how I’m still here was great too.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Lol especially in that showing tonight against Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia