Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Coaching is absolutely critical to having young players grow and mature. As Larry Robinson once famously said if the game was that easy we wouldn't need coaches, we'd just need players.

I get that but I don't think Hynes is telling Butcher to suck ass when he was a key piece to our team last year. He's playing with the same partner, getting sheltered minutes at even strenght and isn't doing much on the PP... where he was fantastic last year.

The same can be said about Myles Wood btw.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Again, this franchise is rebuilding and anyone who thought we were going to compete for a playoff spot when making them by a single point the previous year, with all that was mentioned at the start of this post, was hoping for a semi miracle.

that's insane to say. so you completely didn't expect this team to be competitive for a playoff spot this year? this team has been rebuilding for 4 years and got the first overall draft pick 2 years ago. they should be improving. the islanders roster got worse but they are better this year because they hired a better coach. ditto the rangers. the flyers have a better roster than both of those teams, and us, and see where they are and who the fans blame for that.

that aside, if this team just didn't blow third period leads or could win in overtime we would actually be competing for a playoff spot, and i don't think hoping for the team to lock down a third period lead like they did almost every time last year or at least be competent in overtime would actually be a semi-miracle, it would be basically an average team. they are one of the worst right now

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If the players aren’t doing their jobs. Whose job is it to hold them accountable?

They've been oddly selective about who gets punished for poor play. Mueller has a bad game and sits for two straight. Wood hasn't done anything all season, yet keeps playing. Although they finally did sit Butcher for a game, and Hall got benched, so maybe they're finally starting to hold players more accountable.

At the end of the day Ray and Hynes are running this show, so they're responsible for both the successes and the failures. When so may players are playing poorly, coaching has to be questioned.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
that's insane to say. so you completely didn't expect this team to be competitive for a playoff spot this year? this team has been rebuilding for 4 years and got the first overall draft pick 2 years ago. they should be improving. the islanders roster got worse but they are better this year because they hired a better coach. ditto the rangers. the flyers have a better roster than both of those teams, and us, and see where they are and who the fans blame for that.

that aside, if this team just didn't blow third period leads or could win in overtime we would actually be competing for a playoff spot, and i don't think hoping for the team to lock down a third period lead like they did almost every time last year or at least be competent in overtime would actually be a semi-miracle, it would be basically an average team. they are one of the worst right now

I don't think the coaching staff has a lot to do with blowing third period leads or winning in overtime. I think both are largely random events and the Devils are catching the bad end of both, though they've gotten some good fortune in recent weeks vis a vis tying games up late (also not something the coaching staff controls). The Devils were fine in 3 on 3 OT last season with largely the same personnel. The power play is becoming a coaching issue to me.

What the hell has Palmieri done to be on the first line?

The clueless stay that way

This is one of those things that's so funny to read. Okay, so Palmieri doesn't belong on the first line because he's been bad lately. Who would you put there? Bratt? So put the guy who's performing well on the 1st line and put the guy who's performing poorly on the 2nd line. Make sure that LA can match up against the Devils' 3 best players on the road and then put Palmieri with Zacha, a combination that didn't work last season.

I hated them moving Bratt back to line 1 when they did it as it immediately neutralized the Devils' 2nd line.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Or you know I am talking about the state of the letter and doing such a useless thing in this day in age. They should use their brain more if they acutally want something done and are upset.

Acutally they probably just wanted those extra juicy hits on their social media by posting such a thing.

There are better ways to do this.

817A7DD3-89CD-4886-9175-53DD8244F67A.jpeg

Reactions: Darkauron

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't think the coaching staff has a lot to do with blowing third period leads or winning in overtime. I think both are largely random events and the Devils are catching the bad end of both, though they've gotten some good fortune in recent weeks vis a vis tying games up late (also not something the coaching staff controls). The Devils were fine in 3 on 3 OT last season with largely the same personnel. The power play is becoming a coaching issue to me.

This is one of those things that's so funny to read. Okay, so Palmieri doesn't belong on the first line because he's been bad lately. Who would you put there? Bratt? So put the guy who's performing well on the 1st line and put the guy who's performing poorly on the 2nd line. Make sure that LA can match up against the Devils' 3 best players on the road and then put Palmieri with Zacha, a combination that didn't work last season.

I hated them moving Bratt back to line 1 when they did it as it immediately neutralized the Devils' 2nd line.
Coleman-Hischier-Bratt
Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Both points are spot on... good job!

I mean, people complain but can't come up with solutions. Our right wing depth is comical, yet some are bitching that Palmieri is still on our top line?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
We're a rebuilding team who overachieved last year, plain and simple.

We had several players with career years, we went on a terrific run where we could do no wrong and we had no expectations because everyone saw us at the bottom of the standings since day #1 because the previous year, we landed the 1st overall pick.

This year, we're living the total opposite. Several players are under performing, we can't keep a lead going into the 3rd period, expectations are higher since we came out of left field last year and made the post season.

Again, this franchise is rebuilding and anyone who thought we were going to compete for a playoff spot when making them by a single point the previous year, with all that was mentioned at the start of this post, was hoping for a semi miracle.

I agree with your post for the most part.

The torrid 4-0 start this season is incredibly confusing to me. I understand it's a very small sample size but the level of play was very high. It looked like a team that was turning the corner. Then they had a tough game at home against Colorado where, despite playing poorly, they led 3-2 in the 3rd period only for it all to come crashing down late. Two days later, they are in Philadelphia and look like they were all driven over by a semi truck. No effort, no structure. Nashville comes to town and they actually play a solid game. It was exciting hockey against a Stanley Cup contender. They have 3 different leads but end up losing in OT.

After this is where the wheels seemingly fell off. Multiple no shows, multiple blown leads. Very ugly hockey after what was a great start. It's been amazing and horrifying to watch. I saw the game in Winnipeg in person and the lack of discipline and structure was astounding to me. There was no cohesion on the breakout. Forwards would blow the zone and give the dmen nowhere to go. Players would blow their assignments and result in wide open attempts against.

I think it's obvious the team is playing with zero confidence. Who does that fall on? The coach? The players? Both? Despite things being in the gutter right now, I am excited to see what the rest of the season brings. I do believe they are better than this. Much better? Who knows.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So Hischier is the “reason“ why Palmieri isn't producing? I love Coleman but he's not a top #6 forward and Zacha is a black hole offensively this year, even with his little run he had after being called up from Bingo.
No, having our two best possession drivers on the same line makes for less offense (Hall and Hischier)

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
i’ll ask again...what exactly do you think shero is going to say? the trades he’s working on? a new coach he has his eye on? do you realize how crazy that sounds?

I couldn't care less about what Shero says... because he won't show his hand anyways and will give everyone the traditional answers that don't mean anything.

When was the last time you heard a GM talk about what he's actually thinking lol?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think the coach and players have failed each other. That whole talk of "brotherhood" from last year appears absent in this year's team for whatever reason. Last year everybody was on the same page and played with a chip on their shoulder after the embarassment that was 2016-17. I don't know if making the playoffs took that motivation away from them or if losing to Tampa in the playoffs gave them PTSD or what. There just doesn't seem to be the same, for lack of a better term, energy.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I couldn't care less about what Shero says... because he won't show his hand anyways and will give everyone the traditional answers that don't mean anything.

When was the last time you heard a GM talk about what he's actually thinking lol?

not only that, but if he DID tip his hand to appease people on message boards, he better get fired the next day. that would be gross incompetence

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So Hischier is the “reason“ why Palmieri isn't producing? I love Coleman but he's not a top #6 forward and Zacha is a black hole offensively this year, even with his little run he had after being called up from Bingo.
Yup.

We already tried Zacha and Hall, back when Zacha actually had a bit of relevance offensively and it didn't go over very well. I'd hate to see what it does right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The coach has been **** since the day he was hired

He deserves no credit for last year
I agree with you and I agree he deserves no credit for last year, but if you give him no credit for last year, you can't really shred him for this year.

And that's where I'm at right now.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Zacha is on pace for 21 points this year, over 82 games.

He's one of the BIGGEST reasons we're a one line team.
I dont agree with putting Hall on Hischiers line

I think its a detriment to his growth to be taking his STRONGEST part of his game and nullifying it by having Hall do all the puck carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad