Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Good speed and an aptitude for defensive play. Maybe we can actually get the puck back from the opposition.

Perfect fit? Maybe not but at this point why not try it?

I don't think he's that great with the puck in open ice or at finding teammates in said open ice, and these are critical OT skills. As is when not to shoot - even though the Devils are being wildly outshot in OT, taking a shot that has almost no chance of going in and is likely to change who has possession is a terrible choice.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Agree with your entire post, as for the bolded, the answer is one word: Russian.

I never understood why certain Gm's or scouts won't go with players that are burning their respective leagues? Just as an exemple, someone like Brayden Point was just steamrolling the competition, yet was drafted in the 3rd round by Tampa. I understand that the size issue was probably a factor but in the 3rd round, we should target those types of players over grinders like Connor Chatman, who had mediocre stats prior to the draft.

If Point doesn't pan out, at least you can say that we took the player with the best skill set but taking a kid who's a grinder at the minor league level won't magically turn into a top line forward against stiffer competition.

Anyways, with our new staff, I think they're going with that approach which is a breath of fresh air compared to the crap we were used to by Conte and Lamoriello.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Even the two goalie deployment can't stop the pucks piling up in the net.

uPZFWUv.png

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Tim Sestito says "hi" 102GP 0 goals.

Yep and Farnham somehow had 8 goals in 67 games so it can happen, but where is he now? Both were undrafted fringe players and the fact one had goals and one didn't won't make a bit of difference. One guy is retired and the other may as well be insofar as the NHL is concerned.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think he's that great with the puck in open ice or at finding teammates in said open ice, and these are critical OT skills. As is when not to shoot - even though the Devils are being wildly outshot in OT, taking a shot that has almost no chance of going in and is likely to change who has possession is a terrible choice.
But Coleman will at least push the play up ice, lately we can't even gain the zone, even at 3 on 3 I feel we can't handle the pressure of the opposing forecheck, we retreat back, hardly ever pushing fwd with conviction. Coleman will at least push fwd.

Conversely Coleman will apply pressure to the opposition. Which I think is also a big problem, when the opposition has it, we have a hard time getting it back.

And again, why not? What we are doing now with guys who supposedly fit the bill better is not working. Shake things up a little.

Reactions: NorwegianDevil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i still think zacha looks better now than he did before being sent down. the guy is less tentative on the puck
I didn't watch much of the sharks game, but he had no shots, the Ducks game I thought he was making some bad decisions with the puck.

Prior to that I thought he was playing OK.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
thoughts on jan rutta? just placed on waivers. seems to have underperformed which can be related to concussion issues. might be worth a look.[i

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
thoughts on jan rutta? just placed on waivers. seems to have underperformed which can be related to concussion issues. might be worth a look.[i
Seems pretty crappy. May as well just use Santini.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But Coleman will at least push the play up ice, lately we can't even gain the zone, even at 3 on 3 I feel we can't handle the pressure of the opposing forecheck, we retreat back, hardly ever pushing fwd with conviction. Coleman will at least push fwd.

Conversely Coleman will apply pressure to the opposition. Which I think is also a big problem, when the opposition has it, we have a hard time getting it back.

And again, why not? What we are doing now with guys who supposedly fit the bill better is not working. Shake things up a little.

I don't think he's that great with the puck in open ice or at finding teammates in said open ice, and these are critical OT skills. As is when not to shoot - even though the Devils are being wildly outshot in OT, taking a shot that has almost no chance of going in and is likely to change who has possession is a terrible choice. So as a result, I don't think he's a great fit for OT. I might throw him out there for one shift, but as a primary guy? I don't think so. Pushing forward just to take a low-percentage shot isn't a good strategy, and that's how I feel Coleman will play in OT. Likewise with pressuring the opposition - pressuring the opposition in their end is not, in my view, a great strategy in overtime - it hasn't worked out great for NJ so far this season, certainly.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would really like to see what a new coach could do for Zacha. Preferably here then elsewhere.

Zacha needs to realize that his career is on the line here. I was never in favor of him jumping right away to the NHL when he never dominated anything at the junior level but what's done is done.

Now, it's up to the player to earn his stripes and the fact that he's still getting 2nd line minutes is laughable IMO. To me, he should be demoted and even healthy scratched. I'd bump Travis to the 2nd line and let Coleman center the 3rd line.

I'm curious to know if Ray kicked the can on Dylan Strome before he got moved to the Hawks.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But do you see it as a skill set issue? I think he has the tools, just doesn't know how to use them.

Yes.

Even completely ignoring his lack of scoring through his first 163 NHL games, I see nothing that suggests he has offensive ability remotely close to that of a typical #6 NHL draft pick, or, also ignoring his draft position, a 2nd line NHL starting center.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
vats has some pretty awesome shots and moves on his own goalies/

just pretend hes in a tampa jersey on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad