Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I would really like to see what a new coach could do for Zacha. Preferably here then elsewhere.

Are you blaming Hynes for Zacha's play? He came back and played very well for Hynes after his trip to Binghamton but quickly fell back to his former play that sent him there. I think player.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
So the Devils just sent out an email survey to “tell us about your Devils experience” this year.

This should be fun.

Yeah am my responses were rejected because I wouldn't answer a question with 5 replys other than "unpredictable". IMO the survey is rigged.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Those few qualities questions were kind of odd, are they looking for new buzzwords? I mailed it in and suspect I still gave it more thought than most fans did. I...took a pass on answering the management question and said neutral but if I could I'd say slightly optomistic with Shero and slightly pessimistic with Hynes/coaches so that's how I wound up at neutral on the management question :P

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Those few qualities questions were kind of odd, are they looking for new buzzwords? I mailed it in and suspect I still gave it more thought than most fans did. I...took a pass on answering the management question and said neutral but if I could I'd say slightly optomistic with Shero and slightly pessimistic with Hynes/coaches so that's how I wound up at neutral on the management question :P

Legendary is a Hugh Weber buzzword

Only two questions were of importance to me.

My feelings on the team
My feelings on the coaching/mgmt

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Zacha needs to realize that his career is on the line here. I was never in favor of him jumping right away to the NHL when he never dominated anything at the junior level but what's done is done.

Now, it's up to the player to earn his stripes and the fact that he's still getting 2nd line minutes is laughable IMO. To me, he should be demoted and even healthy scratched. I'd bump Travis to the 2nd line and let Coleman center the 3rd line.

I'm curious to know if Ray kicked the can on Dylan Strome before he got moved to the Hawks.
I’m in minority on this and will probably take a beating for this, but why not try the opposite. Instead of demoting him, put him between Hall and Palms for a few games. Give him some first unit PP time and see how that works. I think demoting him to the fourth line or healthy scratching him would destroy the little confidence he has left. f*** it, what do we have to lose? Nico definitely won’t look out of place with MarJo and Brat.

Reactions: MichaelJ

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m in minority on this and will probably take a beating for this, but why not try the opposite. Instead of demoting him, put him between Hall and Palms for a few games. Give him some first unit PP time and see how that works. I think demoting him to the fourth line or healthy scratching him would destroy the little confidence he has left. **** it, what do we have to lose? Nico definitely won’t look out of place with MarJo and Brat.

Eh no, if he can't do it with a resurgent MarJo and Bratt it's just not happening for him, we clearly know who the problem is with the second line now that Bratt got MarJo going. The most you'll get from Zacha on the top line is a Nick Palmieri type (circa the Kovy-Zajac-Nick top line at the end of 2011) performance where he just rides shotgun with two better players and is 'there'.

Reactions: Maine Fan

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I can't say I "like" your post. This is not good no matter how minor the injury maybe.

try looking at it this way- if hall is out, maybe mcleod comes in and gets more than 5 minutes playing with actual nhl talent

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
try looking at it this way- if hall is out, maybe mcleod comes in and gets more than 5 minutes playing with actual nhl talent

Hynie is unamused..."Rooney gets the call, next question"

cut.jpg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have never been to the main board, no interest. But I am curious why it bothers you that someone is expressing their opinion elsewhere?

I can't speak for Afro, but when it's the people who only post negative things about the team and are nowhere to be found when they win that are doing it, it comes off as them taking a victory lap because they were right about something that will hurt the team they supposedly cheer for.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
zacha has that facial expression that he does not give a ****

I don’t think it’s not giving a shit as much as it’s just not wanting it bad enough. I mean you look at a guy like Seney and you can clearly see it. He wants to be an NHL player. He plays with purpose and with energy. All the time. Totally different players, but you get the point. Zacha really reminds me of a sports car with ignition issues. The platform and potential is there but nothing is running optimally or consistently. Nothing but misfiring.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I can't speak for Afro, but when it's the people who only post negative things about the team and are nowhere to be found when they win that are doing it, it comes off as them taking a victory lap because they were right about something that will hurt the team they supposedly cheer for.

i think it happens as a part of human nature, in retaliation to the ‘other side’ who looks at everything through rose colored glasses. then you have the majority of people that are in the middle, with the ability to 1) see the team as it really is, flaws included, and 2) be hopeful about the future. unfortunately, it’s the extremist POVs that are the loudest, since it usually gets a reaction

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
I think the Zacha hate is overblown and it’s getting old. Is he a top line center, no. Is he very good defensively, yes. Are there good and bad points to most every player? Yes there are.

I don’t agree he should be put on the top line to get him going as he hasn’t earned that at all. However, I do think this obsession with points is too much. He does not play on the PP. How many 2nd line, top 10 picks don’t play on the PP? But we put Boyle, Zajac and Noesen there. If he had some PP points to fluff his stats just like all the other top guys on this team the talk would be less. Our PP has sucked but what better time to rack up points than up a man.

He also had at least 2 if not 3 assists taken away with re-scoring after the game a few weeks ago. O assists is horrendous but is it on him if the guy he sets up doesn’t score? Our lack of finishers up and down this lineup holds us back every game. And yes there have been legit chances he has set up for other players that have not been converted.

To me plus/minus is something I do really look at. He has 4 points which we all know and complain about but he is only minus 2. Marjo has 12 points and is a minus 9. Bratt has 11 points and is a minus 5. Marjo and Bratt get PP time and PP points. So they have more points but also more goals are given up when they are out there. Not sure if you guys noticed but our goals against is atrocious. Our defensive play and goaltending are the biggest issues.

Do we all want more offensive from Zacha? Yes! Does he flat out suck? No! It’s obvious the coaching staff does not like him. For anyone that missed it, after the 4th goal the Ducks scored Hynes was screaming at Zacha on the bench. Play started with him skating it into the zone and dropping it back to Bratt along the boards. Bratt misses the pass which hopped over his stick and the Ducks ragged it the other way and flipped a backhand from the blue line about 30 seconds later that Lovejoy tried to catch in front of the net that went in. Nothing said to Lovejoy, nothing said to Cory who was terribly slow to react. Just ripping Zacha for not getting it deep. What about the horrendous play Vats had at the Sharks blueline that set up their first goal? Did Hynes rip Vats. I didn’t see it.

My point is when it’s clear to fans the coach doesn’t really like you, benched, sent down, yelled at. It explains the play. He never plays aggressive and never plays open. Hall and Palms are turnover machines with some of the worst plus/minus on the team. Zacha plays like he scared to make a mistake and I don’t think the Devils did him any favors with his development.

He is an NHL player with talent. He is not succeeding currently. Just because success hasn’t come doesn’t mean it never will or he doesn’t care. This is a rebuild year. Finish out the year and see where he is at and either it’s a better spot or move on. Not sure how it would hurt to play your #6 pick who is supposed to be a scoring center on the PP over 4th scrubs like Boyle and Noesen who won’t be back for sure and get home some points and feeling good about his game.

I also don’t see how exiling Quenneville to Bingo where he is consistently on the scoresheet as making sense either. Another first round pick prior to this regime they clearly don’t like. Maybe we can trade Zacha and Quenneville for another 5’9 156 pound player will unlimited effort like Seney who they can’t stop raving about.

Flame away!

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’m in minority on this and will probably take a beating for this, but why not try the opposite. Instead of demoting him, put him between Hall and Palms for a few games. Give him some first unit PP time and see how that works. I think demoting him to the fourth line or healthy scratching him would destroy the little confidence he has left. **** it, what do we have to lose? Nico definitely won’t look out of place with MarJo and Brat.

I don’t hate the idea of Zacha with Hall and Palmieri as much as I hate the idea of Nico with Johansson and Bratt.

Nico is far too timid of a player (at this point in his career) to play with other pass-first guys like Johansson and Bratt. I don’t think that line would be effective at all.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I really would like to see Seney with Johan and Bratt for a few shifts at some point, they are all different types of players I think would work really well together. I know they played a bit together, but I would like an extended look.

Reactions: Quest for Stanley

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Zacha hate is overblown and it’s getting old. Is he a top line center, no. Is he very good defensively, yes. Are there good and bad points to most every player? Yes there are.

I don’t agree he should be put on the top line to get him going as he hasn’t earned that at all. However, I do think this obsession with points is too much. He does not play on the PP. How many 2nd line, top 10 picks don’t play on the PP? But we put Boyle, Zajac and Noesen there. If he had some PP points to fluff his stats just like all the other top guys on this team the talk would be less. Our PP has sucked but what better time to rack up points than up a man.

He also had at least 2 if not 3 assists taken away with re-scoring after the game a few weeks ago. O assists is horrendous but is it on him if the guy he sets up doesn’t score? Our lack of finishers up and down this lineup holds us back every game. And yes there have been legit chances he has set up for other players that have not been converted.

To me plus/minus is something I do really look at. He has 4 points which we all know and complain about but he is only minus 2. Marjo has 12 points and is a minus 9. Bratt has 11 points and is a minus 5. Marjo and Bratt get PP time and PP points. So they have more points but also more goals are given up when they are out there. Not sure if you guys noticed but our goals against is atrocious. Our defensive play and goaltending are the biggest issues.

Do we all want more offensive from Zacha? Yes! Does he flat out suck? No! It’s obvious the coaching staff does not like him. For anyone that missed it, after the 4th goal the Ducks scored Hynes was screaming at Zacha on the bench. Play started with him skating it into the zone and dropping it back to Bratt along the boards. Bratt misses the pass which hopped over his stick and the Ducks ragged it the other way and flipped a backhand from the blue line about 30 seconds later that Lovejoy tried to catch in front of the net that went in. Nothing said to Lovejoy, nothing said to Cory who was terribly slow to react. Just ripping Zacha for not getting it deep. What about the horrendous play Vats had at the Sharks blueline that set up their first goal? Did Hynes rip Vats. I didn’t see it.

My point is when it’s clear to fans the coach doesn’t really like you, benched, sent down, yelled at. It explains the play. He never plays aggressive and never plays open. Hall and Palms are turnover machines with some of the worst plus/minus on the team. Zacha plays like he scared to make a mistake and I don’t think the Devils did him any favors with his development.

He is an NHL player with talent. He is not succeeding currently. Just because success hasn’t come doesn’t mean it never will or he doesn’t care. This is a rebuild year. Finish out the year and see where he is at and either it’s a better spot or move on. Not sure how it would hurt to play your #6 pick who is supposed to be a scoring center on the PP over 4th scrubs like Boyle and Noesen who won’t be back for sure and get home some points and feeling good about his game.

I also don’t see how exiling Quenneville to Bingo where he is consistently on the scoresheet as making sense either. Another first round pick prior to this regime they clearly don’t like. Maybe we can trade Zacha and Quenneville for another 5’9 156 pound player will unlimited effort like Seney who they can’t stop raving about.

Flame away!
With all due respect, a lot of what you're saying about Zacha is some of the silver lining stuff I read around here about Jacob Josefson (who Zacha has been MUCH better than, to be fair, with the exception of this year, so I don't wanna make the comparison) for years. He wasn't scoring, but he was a responsible player and I'm pretty sure there was something pointed out here about how if there was a such thing as a tertiary assist or they awarded one, Josefson would have many of them, which made me laugh because so would many other players, who also scored more actual awarded assists and points than Josefson did.

At some point, Zacha needs to produce more. We didn't draft him 6th overall to just be a ''Responsible'' or ''Defensive'' forward that didn't put up any points. Again, not trying to redo the 2015 draft, but simply pointing out that you expect a forward taken 6th overall to score some offense and certainly quite a bit more than he has this year. I had no problem with his offense the last two years, it wasn't that bad for how little he played, but he's currently pacing for half of that this year with over a minute more of icetime. It will probably even out a bit and he'll go on a mini tear again, maybe even a couple of them or an extended one to tilt the numbers a bit, but it would be disappointing if he can't get 30 points this year if he played 72-74 games.

As far as yelling at Zacha and not Cory goes, Hynes has probably yelled at Cory more than any other player on the team this year, only without actually yelling at him. Hynes opting not to play Cory on the second half of a back to back after Keith got shelled repeatedly, shows you what Hynes thinks of Cory right now, much more than if he had screamed at him on the bench.

Reactions: Maine Fan and JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad