Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Tomorrow is definitely going to be a difficult test, especially coming off the travel from the trip. If they can stick with them the whole way, that will say a lot about this team in my eyes.

The Oilers and Panthers games are the ones that I really expect us to take.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
November is ridiculous schedule-wise. League needs to update their algorithm or something.

Hopefully all three of those guys aren't out long. MoJo's collision didn't SEEM that violent, but you never know with concussions. Does he have a history?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I just don't know how we'll continue to fare with these injuries, it's just absurd. The first line can only carry the team so far and they have to make up for our terrible defense.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I just don't know how we'll continue to fare with these injuries, it's just absurd. The first line can only carry the team so far and they have to make up for our terrible defense.

We are missing 3 top forwards.
That's a lot and dont think other teams are suffering so many injuries to top players like us.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That's a lot and dont think other teams are suffering so many injuries to top players like us.
Three top forwards plus a minute eating penalty killing dman on an already weak d unit if Santini is out for an extended period. I'll be happy with .500 hockey without these guys.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

maybe not now but the Ducks had a ton of injuries to their top guys, more than us.

But we are very banged up with key injuries

njdevs1337

Oct 10, 2017
They are developing zacha the wrong way. Eveyone is putting him down because players like barzal and rantanen are doing so well. Barzal is centering Ladd and eberle and rantanen is playing with MacKinnon. Zacha is playing with garbage players. Hayes and boyle. How is he suppose to do anything with that. I don' think he'll be a center long term. He plays better as a wing. Hopefully when zajac comes back they put him on the wing and give him good players to play with. They have to put him in a spot to succeed. Hynes had him on the top line for 3 games and then moved him. Give him a bigger shot than that to build chemistry. That takes some time. Put him on nicos wing. Nico makes players on his line better. We want nico and zacha to be the future if our team. Develop them together. They are wasting zacha away putting him on the 3rd line. Boost his confidence.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They are developing zacha the wrong way. Eveyone is putting him down because players like barzal and rantanen are doing so well. Barzal is centering Ladd and eberle and rantanen is playing with MacKinnon. Zacha is playing with garbage players. Hayes and boyle. How is he suppose to do anything with that. I don' think he'll be a center long term. He plays better as a wing. Hopefully when zajac comes back they put him on the wing and give him good players to play with. They have to put him in a spot to succeed. Hynes had him on the top line for 3 games and then moved him. Give him a bigger shot than that to build chemistry. That takes some time. Put him on nicos wing. Nico makes players on his line better. We want nico and zacha to be the future if our team. Develop them together. They are wasting zacha away putting him on the 3rd line. Boost his confidence.

He was given an opportunity with Hall and Palmieri to start the year.

The reason he's where he is is he hasn't performed that well, but the Devils are still using him in a lot of important situations. He's been out there on the PK, PP, 3-on-3, 4-on-4, etc. So it's not like they're wasting him away on the third line.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

The reason he's where he is is he hasn't performed that well, but the Devils are still using him in a lot of important situations. He's been out there on the PK, PP, 3-on-3, 4-on-4, etc. So it's not like they're wasting him away on the third line.

Yea, Zacha was given a chance earlier. He wasn’t terrible but he didn’t seize the opportunity either. I really like the idea of him on Nico’s wing but I don’t think that could happen until Zajac returns.

Reactions: njdevs1337

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

While I agree that he's not being developed correctly (should have been back in junior last year)...he started the season as the top line center and he's been held pointless in 11 of 13 games this year. And it's not like he's regularly creating chances that his lower quality linemates haven't been able to finish. In a typical game he'll show some good board work in the offensive zone, take a hard high shot here and there, and otherwise be largely invisible. I agree that he should get moved to the wing because he hasn't shown what it takes to stick as a center.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We don't have the personnel at the moment to move Zacha to wing. I'm sure he'll get shifted over when Zajac returns, if not sooner (when Johansson comes back).

"Invisible" is a bit harsh, I think, as a label for Zacha. It's pretty clear he can play a skill game, and a responsible game. At this point in his career, though, I just don't think he has the confidence as a player to play both simultaneously. Maybe it'll come.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Been out of the loop the last few days, what happened to Santini that he was a scratch last night? I know he was injured.

It seems like when he's out our defense is at it's worst. In fact I do know we're 0-2 in games he doesn't play.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Been out of the loop the last few days, what happened to Santini that he was a scratch last night? I know he was injured.

It seems like when he's out our defense is at it's worst. In fact I do know we're 0-2 in games he doesn't play.
It sounds like he’s battling an injury that’s been lingering. They haven’t really said much though.

njdevs1337

Oct 10, 2017

I said in my post he was given 3 games. That's not a true chance

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad