Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i'd still look to trade something like quenneville for Jacob Larsson. LHD prospect for Anaheim who it'd be hard for to get in the top 4 anytime soon because of Lindholm and Fowler. quenneville's probably more established but Devils have depth in the wings and it'd be hard to get a young defenseman once they break into in the NHL. although prospect for prospect trades don't happen that often in the NHL but I really like Larsson as a prospect and it fills a need.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Now that they've dealt Shea Theodore, I don't know if the Ducks will look to shop Jacob Larsson. If anything, they're probably looking forward to him being a cheap blue line option for the next three years.

Plus Lindholm/Vatanen are expected to miss the start of the season while recovering from injury: http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-injuries-20170525-story.html

The reverberations from the Ducks’ playoff elimination were felt deeply Thursday, enough to have an impact on their off-season strategy and next season.

Defensemen Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen are expected to have shoulder surgery to repair torn labrums, general manager Bob Murray said. Lindholm will need four to five months of recovery and Vatanen “is worse,” Murray said.

Not that Anaheim couldn't use somebody like Quenneville, but their top 9 seems set to start the season. And they have Sam Steel and Max Jones who might be competing for roster spots in a year. But for the opening month of the year, Jacob Larsson could be eating up some significant minutes.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Vermette-Perry
Kase-Rasmussen-Wagner

Fowler-Manson
Larsson-Bieksa
Holzer-Montour

Gibson-Miller

Maybe next offseason, Larsson for Quenneville could be something more feasible if Anaheim decides to move from Cogliano and Ritchie doesn't show top 6 upside. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just shuffled in Jones-Steel in for Cogliano-Vermette.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
they have josh mahura too as a top LHD prospect so it's not like they will be completely barren there without Larsson. it's more of a long-term decision than a short term one so if a trade like that so I don't think a guy like Lindholm being out would be too great a factor because they can pick up a cheap vet to fill that short term void.

anyway i don't think anything like that going to happen because teams don't really do those kinds of trades too often. he's just a d prospect I'd like the Devils to target.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Personally I would not trade JQ. I doubt he has that much value league wide, and I do think he is NHL ready. He is also on an entry level deal for the next few seasons.

Henrique on the other hand is 5 years older I believe and is a UFA in 2 years. He also very likely has more trade value. Not saying we should trade Rico, but if there were a move needed to be made to add a Dman, I'd favour options involving Henrique rather than JQ depending on the return.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Someone wants to trade John Queneville?

lol...why? He had a great year last year and is literally at the lowest value he'll ever have in his career.

This guy is gonna be a good NHLer throughout his career.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
The Wings are currently in cap hell. Maybe we can pry Mike Green from them.

Yes, he's a righty but I'm sure we could make it fit. He'd also make the defense light years better, for sure

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Everyone can agree that young defense is hard to come by and expensive to acquire. It took Johansen to get Jones and hall to get Larson. So why would the ducks want an unproven John q? Why would anyone?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Someone wants to trade John Queneville?

lol...why? He had a great year last year and is literally at the lowest value he'll ever have in his career.

This guy is gonna be a good NHLer throughout his career.

Not me.
Team has struggled to score, we need to keep anyone with scoring ability.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
don't want to trade the guy but you have to give to get, it's not like you can get good prospects for scraps. anyway like I said prospect for prospect trades like that don't often much but if that was ever an option I would do it. tThe Devils wing depth is way better than the depth on the left side on defense and that's why I would do it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not me.
Team has struggled to score, we need to keep anyone with scoring ability.

It seems like many here have let the poor defense make them forget just how awful we were at scoring last year. We shouldn't be trading decent forward prospects (even if unproven) for decent defensive prospects, who are also unproven.

I'm okay with trading Henrique for defensive help, but that's only because he's a UFA in 2 years and will likely command more than we wanna keep him for.

I'd be okay with trading JQ for defensive help, but you gotta do better than that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It seems like many here have let the poor defense make them forget just how awful we were at scoring last year. We shouldn't be trading decent forward prospects (even if unproven) for decent defensive prospects, who are also unproven.

I'm okay with trading Henrique for defensive help, but that's only because he's a UFA in 2 years and will likely command more than we wanna keep him for.

I'd be okay with trading JQ for defensive help, but you gotta do better than that.

The problem is that we have nothing in the defensive pipeline, while we have so many in the LW/C pipeline that we have to play them out of position at RW for them to get a shot.

I'm not saying they'll all pan out, but there's a shot, whereas there doesn't seem like there's any chance on D at all, so I'd slighly overpay for a shot at SOMETHING.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A good offense driving play forward would do wonders for the defense and Cory.

You can't drive offense forward if you can't make a pass out of your own zone though. A lot of our problem has been that Severson and Hall have to do a lot of heavy lifting in the transition game. Hopefully with the additions of Hischier and Johansson, and if McLeod makes the team they should all help in that area, but it's still likely going to be an issue.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You can't drive offense forward if you can't make a pass out of your own zone though. A lot of our problem has been that Severson and Hall have to do a lot of heavy lifting in the transition game. Hopefully with the additions of Hischier and Johansson, and if McLeod makes the team they should all help in that area, but it's still likely going to be an issue.

Sure you can. Look at 2012.

Greene Volchenkov Salvador Fayne were not exactly wizards on the back end. It was jut Zids and a rookie Larsson who had a good transition game.

EDIT: Read your post too quickly. Thought you just meant the defense. I agree.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The problem is that we have nothing in the defensive pipeline, while we have so many in the LW/C pipeline that we have to play them out of position at RW for them to get a shot.

I'm not saying they'll all pan out, but there's a shot, whereas there doesn't seem like there's any chance on D at all, so I'd slighly overpay for a shot at SOMETHING.

Yeah, at present and going into the future, defense is a much bigger question mark for me than forwards are. At forward, we have currently and coming up, guys like Taylor Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Rico (unless he is moved), Nico, Zacha, and if all goes well McLeod at a not too distant time. In contrast, on defense, we have Damon and Andy (who is aging), and not much else that's too great or even adequate behind that. Defense is really what needs to be resolved, and then I think we can be competitive again.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah, at present and going into the future, defense is a much bigger question mark for me than forwards are. At forward, we have currently and coming up, guys like Taylor Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Rico (unless he is moved), Nico, Zacha, and if all goes well McLeod at a not too distant time. In contrast, on defense, we have Damon and Andy (who is aging), and not much else that's too great or even adequate behind that. Defense is really what needs to be resolved, and then I think we can be competitive again.
Santini should only be getting better and I think we have promising D prospects in Rykov and Walsh. But we definitely need to start stockpiling D.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Santini should only be getting better and I think we have promising D prospects in Rykov and Walsh. But we definitely need to start stockpiling D.

I've liked what I've seen from Santini, and Rykov and Walsh do seem to be promising, so hopefully that can help improve our defensive future. But we are in agreement about needing to stockpile D going forward.

Ech0

Oct 3, 2006
Norwood, New Jersey
So weird. Before our philosophy was to build from the net out. Now it's from top to bottom. Hopefully a trade happens in the coming weeks, I miss hockey so much. :help:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I've liked what I've seen from Santini, and Rykov and Walsh do seem to be promising, so hopefully that can help improve our defensive future. But we are in agreement about needing to stockpile D going forward.

Idk, the past haunts me. Remember when we thought Merrill was gonna turn into Greene and Gelinas was gonna score a ton of goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad