Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i dont think you'll find too many people that agree that santini has 'stunk all season'. considering he's only 22, he's been a bright spot on this team (to me, anyway).

He has had his ups and downs like any other young player. I don’t see the reason to try and bury him. He has gotten scratched this year too.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He has had his ups and downs like any other young player. I don’t see the reason to try and bury him. He has gotten scratched this year too.
He's shown some promise, I'm not trying to bury him. But it's just a bad personnel decision to keep feeding him to the wolves and reduce the role and then even bench a superior player. You can choose to think I'm wrong and Hynes is right because he's the coach and stats are meaningless. That's fine, I'm not changing my view though. I'm going to trust my eyes and the stat sheet.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The main problem is Greene is the worst defenseman we have but he obviously won’t get scratched.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I'll say the same thing I said in an earlier thread about this, people are always very quick to point out cases where they were right, but are nowhere to be seen when it's time to own up for times when they were wrong. The difference between amateurs on the internet and professionals is the professional has to own both.

Honestly, this doesn't mean much to me. The difference between amateurs and professionals is they're paid to make the tough decisions when prospects are close, and they base those tough choices over way more info and footage than we have. We (amateurs) typically just get up in arms when they make an obviously bad choice. For myself, in ~12-13 years on being interested in prospects and being on this board, I've only ever taken a real issue with the Tedenby and Zacha picks. I know some like to nitpick over 2nd/3rd round (maybe later) picks, but I don't see enough (really any) or read enough info on those players to make any judgement. And I don't give a hard time over players just not turning out well, but otherwise still being a logical choice in the 1st round at the time (Josefson for example).

And I will gladly own up to being wrong on Zacha if he turns it around and becomes a consistent 50+ point player. Why? Because I'm a fan of the team and I care more about winning another Cup than I do being right about his low offensive potential. And I think, with the addition of Nico, Bratt, Butcher, etc...if Zacha turns in to a 50+ guy...we have an offense with real Cup potential.

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He was our worst defenseman. I'm not having this conversation again, but that's a patently absurd way to evaluate a player. Severson is better at hockey than Santini and pretty much every defenseman on the team, period.

That's BS pure and simple.

He's viewed as a offensive dman who isn't outscoring Santini and he's not better defensively then Santini... so yeah, I don't know where you're getting this idea that he's better then Santini or anyone else on our blueline.

Reactions: Darkauron

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's BS pure and simple.

He's viewed as a offensive dman who isn't outscoring Santini and he's not better defensively then Santini... so yeah, I don't know where you're getting this idea that he's better then Santini or anyone else on our blueline.
Corsi%.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
again, if you view Severson as an offensive defenseman, your view is wrong. He is never going to be a major points guy.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
The main problem is Greene is the worst defenseman we have but he obviously won’t get scratched.

Greene should be stripped of the C, the dude is absolutely cooked. All he can do is block shots at this point. He provides zero offensive upside and consistently clears the pucks into the opposing team on the PK. Let's get rid of the past and give the C to Hall, he is the future and face of this franchise.

I'm tired of players like Greene and Zajac getting mad props on reddit/HFboards for being the best players on the worst Devils teams since the 1980's. They have both always been extremely over rated by our fanbase. Now that we actually have young talent on the roster, they both look out of place.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Scotty Stevens said change the offsides rule, once the puck touches the blue line it is onsides.

They showed last nights call.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Greene should be stripped of the C, the dude is absolutely cooked. All he can do is block shots at this point. He provides zero offensive upside and consistently clears the pucks into the opposing team on the PK. Let's get rid of the past and give the C to Hall, he is the future and face of this franchise.

I'm tired of players like Greene and Zajac getting mad props on reddit/HFboards for being the best players on the worst Devils teams since the 1980's. They have both always been extremely over rated by our fanbase. Now that we actually have young talent on the roster, they both look out of place.
You don't strip a captain of his C in the middle of the season because he's playing like crap, that's how a coach loses a locker room. If he's a cancer in the locker room or being difficult with the coach, that's a horse of a different color. I mean you ripping posters here but you sound worse than any of them because when you say something like that, you obviously don't have a clue.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
again, if you view Severson as an offensive defenseman, your view is wrong. He is never going to be a major points guy.

He was viewed as a point producer when he racked up solid #’s his first couple of years and it just looks like he stagnated and I’d even go as far as to say he downgraded when talking about generating offense from the blue line.

Damon isn’t good enough offensively to compensate for his screwups defensively. That’s the main reason why he’s riding the pine I’m back to back games.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He was viewed as a point producer when he racked up solid #’s his first couple of years and it just looks like he stagnated and I’d even go as far as to say he downgraded when talking about generating offense from the blue line.

Damon isn’t good enough offensively to compensate for his screwups defensively. That’s the main reason why he’s riding the pine I’m back to back games.
Damon Severson generates a lot of offense and is having a good year overall, you just don’t know what you’re talking about. Points aren’t everything for defensemen. I’d wager he finishes near 30 points again and your narrative collapses though.

His overall impact on the game is largely positive, Sanitini’s hasn’t been. Hockey isn’t cleanly divided into offense and defense like you’re suggesting. If you have the puck, the other team doesn’t have it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
When was Severson viewed as a point producer, the first 15 games of his career when he was scoring at a clearly unsustainable rate? He was on pace for ~30 his rookie year, then had 21 (he had a S% of 1.1% this season!), then had 31, and now he's on pace for 18.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Damon Severson generates a lot of offense and is having a good year overall, you just don’t know what you’re talking about. Points aren’t everything for defensemen. I’d wager he finishes near 30 points again and your narrative collapses though.

His overall impact on the game is largely positive, Sanitini’s hasn’t been. Hockey isn’t cleanly divided into offense and defense like you’re suggesting. If you have the puck, the other team doesn’t have it.

Severson doesn’t generate offense, I’m sorry. If he did, he wouldn’t be behind Santini in points and would’ve been utilized in a bigger role on our PP but got passed by Butler. Heck, he wasn’t even the primary choice when Butler wasn’t there last year or the year before.

You’re absolutely right that points aren’t everything for dmens but he has even bigger cracks in his defensive game, so that’s why I don’t understand your stance when saying he’s our best asset on our blue line when he’s not the best offensive or defensive threat we have back there.

He does have the tools to make it work but he’s not there now and he might get there in a year or two but let’s not act as if he’s a legit 1st pairing dman, please.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You don't strip a captain of his C in the middle of the season because he's playing like crap, that's how a coach loses a locker room. If he's a cancer in the locker room or being difficult with the coach, that's a horse of a different color. I mean you ripping posters here but you sound worse than any of them because when you say something like that, you obviously don't have a clue.

As distant as we fans are from the players it’s easy to lose the perspective about the personal interactions in the locker room.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The last two seasons when we were one of the worst offensive teams in the league, Severson tallied up 48 assists, now that we are one of top scoring teams in the league, he five, FIVE assists.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad