Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think this spreads the production out enough...

Hall-Henrique-Pap
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zacha-Bennett
Kalinin-Fiddler-DSP
JJ

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know..It would be like Henrique with Zach and Kovy as a rookie. Yeah Henrique was a little older and experienced, but Zacha is the more talented player and clearly physically mature. Or like how Draisaitl was used with Hall last year. That's asking less of him then sticking him with mediocre players and asking him to drive play and create for his linemates.

A little older? He wasn't only 3 years older, he had a full year in the AHL and 4 full years in the OHL. Zacha doesn't have anywhere close to that level of experience.

I'd prefer not use Edmonton as development comparison, but even still, you are comparing Zacha to very successful rookies who both put up over 50 points... that is the exact unfair expectation I am talking about.

Jonathan Drouin has 8 goals in 91 games - Has been sent to the minors AFTER playing with Stamkos. We need to temper the expectations is all I'm saying.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think this spreads the production out enough...

Hall-Henrique-Pap
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zacha-Bennett
Kalinin-Fiddler-DSP
JJ

We finally have enough depth now that I think it's time to separate Zajac - Palmieri for most games. We also have the ability to stack the first line and still have solid depth.

Cammalleri and Palmieri seem like they always clash with one another when on the ice together. Same goes for Zajac - Palmieri although they've been solid as a shutdown line. The lines will obviously fluctuate depending on the team we're playing, but save teams that have three very good lines, I think we should stack the first line, create an offensively dynamic line with Cammalleri - Zacha to take advantage of lesser match-ups, and use Zajac to shutdown top lines.

I'm comfortable with our fourth line going out against any teams third or fourth lines as well sans a few exceptions like Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If Shero can get Fowler (or an equivalent LD) for some combination of Boucher/Blandisi + prospect/Moore/Merrill + 2nd/3rd, we would have a very strong team.

I don't think the pick is necessary
Boucher/Merrill
Boucher/2nd
is probably a similar to whats being shopped around the league

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
A little older? He wasn't only 3 years older, he had a full year in the AHL and 4 full years in the OHL. Zacha doesn't have anywhere close to that level of experience.

I'd prefer not use Edmonton as development comparison, but even still, you are comparing Zacha to very successful rookies who both put up over 50 points... that is the exact unfair expectation I am talking about.

Jonathan Drouin has 8 goals in 91 games - Has been sent to the minors AFTER playing with Stamkos. We need to temper the expectations is all I'm saying.

2 years older, no? Wasn't Adam 21? Regardless, I'm fine with surrounding him with great players to take the load off. If he's on the team, might as well put him with guys that have had success in this league. Our other option is, like you said, stick him with guys who haven't done anything in the NHL and I don't see how that's not setting him up for failure.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
dude that offer sucks lol

I thought that 2 weeks ago, but with 2 days left and Lindholm and Rakell not signed, its not that crazy. Ana wont get what they think they can at this point.
They are at $68M without those two and they have an internal cap. If they pulled off a Kucherov move for Lindholm they still have no money and that's without there internal cap
Its THE cap

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Part of the issue with Zacha is that people think he's going to be a stat sheet monster.

I think he could match Zajac's ES production from last year at the very least. If he's put on a line with one of our best wingers, I don't see 30-40 points as that big of a stretch.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I thought that 2 weeks ago, but with 2 days left and Lindholm and Rakell not signed, its not that crazy. Ana wont get what they think they can at this point.
They are at $68M without those two and they have an internal cap. If they pulled off a Kucherov move for Lindholm they still have no money and that's without there internal cap
Its THE cap

Still doesn't mean that the offer doesn't suck. They may be getting similar crappy offers, but Top 4 defenseman >>>> Middle 6 forward.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Its THE cap

do you know how easily some of these other teams could beat the offer?

Merrill has literally 0 value and Boucher doesn't have much either. probably a mid round pick.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Part of the issue with Zacha is that people think he's going to be a stat sheet monster.

I'm not expecting too much from him on the scoresheet. I think he's capable of ~40 points depending on who he plays with. But it wouldn't take much for him to be an improvement over who was in his place last season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm expecting Zacha to be a better player than Barzal and Konecny.
He was drafted 6th, we should have high expectations.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's almost 5 PM...they still have to drop another player besides Helgeson iirc.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm expecting Zacha to be a better player than Barzal and Konecny.
He was drafted 6th, we should have high expectations.

Meh I don't really think that's how we should look at it. Players drafted later end up better than earlier selections all the time. That goes more so for comparing him to Konecny, there was no way we'd pick him 6th overall. There was at least some temptation to pick Barzal at 6th.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
do you know how easily some of these other teams could beat the offer?

Merrill has literally 0 value and Boucher doesn't have much either. probably a mid round pick.

I could see Boucher + Merrill/Moore + 2nd bring in a good LD at the deadline.

Merrill/Moore are both options with some potential that can temporarily fill the void left behind by a traded LD and Boucher has NHL skill that will be useful in the right system with players who can get him the puck.

The thing is I think the maximum quality LD you're getting out of that package is a guy like Fowler. Anaheim doesn't need Moore/Merrill there though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol they placed Quincey and Kalinin on IR, the latter with an illness. So Shero pulls a Lou and leaves the roster decisions for another day.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Heh...
NJDevilsPR ‏@NJDevilsPR 2m2 minutes ago

#NJDevils place D Kyle Quincey (lower body) on IR retro to 10/5; F Sergey Kalinin (illness) on IR retro to 10/10.

Buys us a little time.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Heh...
NJDevilsPR ‏@NJDevilsPR 2m2 minutes ago

#NJDevils place D Kyle Quincey (lower body) on IR retro to 10/5; F Sergey Kalinin (illness) on IR retro to 10/10.

Buys us a little time.

So Quincey can replace Helgeson to start the season if he's fit. Kalinin has to miss the first two games.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I think predictions from people here were around a 40 point season. I'd be quite happy with that. I think 30s would be acceptable. Anything below that and I think we'd have panic mode here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad