Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's interesting to see that Hynes is experimenting with Cammalleri on the "third" line like some posters have suggested this offseason. I wonder if this is just an experiment or something that he's seriously considering? I don't think it's a bad idea. He'd be a nice veteran linemate to pair with Zacha. Depending on chemistry, this could allow us to roll 4 lines with some scoring punch.

Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Boucher-Zajac-Palmeri
Cammalleri-Zacha-Blandisi
Josefson-Fiddler-DSP

I lile these lines although I think Kalinin should always be on that 4th line. Hes a big fast player who can take it to the net.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Cory wearing new mask I see. Not bad from what I could see in that new video they put up.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I lile these lines although I think Kalinin should always be on that 4th line. Hes a big fast player who can take it to the net.

I want to see DSP with Zacha as well and let Blandisi get more time in the A.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - DSP
Kalinin - Fiddler - Lappin
Gazdic - Josefson

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I want to see DSP with Zacha as well and let Blandisi get more time in the A.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - DSP
Kalinin - Fiddler - Lappin
Gazdic - Josefson

I'd rather have Lappin the in A over Blandisi

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Lappin's game is much more mature. I think Blandisi really would benefit from more seasoning.

Agreed. I want Blandisi to play top-six minutes. Also, Lappin helps being a righty. Nearly 75% of the forwards will be left handed.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
How about these for lines. Make that third line a heavy checking line.

Hall Henrique Bennett
Cammalleri Zacha Palmieri
Boucher Zajac Lappin

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Hall Henrique Bennett
Boucher Zajac Lappin

I despise the idea of splitting up Zajac and Palmieri. They were too good too separate

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I despise the idea of splitting up Zajac and Palmieri. They were too good too separate

Lappin has a style that would compliment Zajacs game perfectly. You can roll that as a shutdown line and let Zacha Cammy Palms Hall Henrique and Bennett wreak havoc!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lappin has a style that would compliment Zajacs game perfectly. You can roll that as a shutdown line and let Zacha Cammy Palms Hall Henrique and Bennett wreak havoc!

I'm not sure this staff believes in the concept of a shutdown line, even though they used Larsson-Greene as a shutdown d-pairing last year that's a little different and they didn't have as much talent overall.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Hall Henrique Bennett
Boucher Zajac Lappin

Where are Kalinin and Josefson on line 3? Hoping Boucher-Zajac-Lappin is the 4th line!:sarcasm:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure this staff believes in the concept of a shutdown line, even though they used Larsson-Greene as a shutdown d-pairing last year that's a little different and they didn't have as much talent overall.

Having 4 lines that can score is so important today

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Having 4 lines that can score is so important today

Needz moar grinders, sandpaper, grit, toughness, hard body checks, etc.

But seriously though, I feel like a younger fan of a different generation, but there's a few things that are becoming obsolete, which I'm VERY happy about and excited to see change and evolve. Not saying there's anything wrong with being a younger fan, that wasn't my point.

One dimensional goons being weeded out of the NHL, as well as the lack of a need for grenade handling defensive defensemen and plumbers on the 4th line going the way of the dodo.

The sad part is that I believe with expansion in the last 20-25 years, the league is watered down with too much talent that only have jobs due to their being as many teams as there are in the league. At the same time though, I also believe that there are even better players that might be out of NHL jobs or unable to get one or playing in the AHL, because of these inferior players clogging up roster spots. As much as that might contradict the previous statement I made.

I think there's quite a few talented players that are left off NHL rosters, because too many GM's still feel the need to ice Tootoo's and Gionta's and even goons on their 4th line. And these are players are thus labeled ''Not true 4th line players'' and there's no room for them on one of the top 3 lines, so they get buried in favor of the plumbers, sandpaper, grit, facepuncher's, heart and soul, character, whatever the hell they are.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Schlemko did OK on the PP last year because his skating and puck rushing from behind Cory's net to the PP zone was very good. While in the zone, he wasn't that good though, he kind of took a back seat and when you think about it, NJ were probably smart not to get him involved. His passing and shot is average.

I think John Moore can take over the skating / puck rushing role. But ideally we need a Shattenkirk or Yandle type player that can lug the puck up the ice and also has a good pass and shot from the point.

I really hope we make a hard pitch for shattenkirk next year

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
It's interesting to see that Hynes is experimenting with Cammalleri on the "third" line like some posters have suggested this offseason. I wonder if this is just an experiment or something that he's seriously considering? I don't think it's a bad idea. He'd be a nice veteran linemate to pair with Zacha. Depending on chemistry, this could allow us to roll 4 lines with some scoring punch.

Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Boucher-Zajac-Palmeri
Cammalleri-Zacha-Blandisi
Josefson-Fiddler-DSP

It's amazing how much better this lineup looks than when shero inherited the team. :nod:

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hall Henrique Bennett
Blandisi Zajac Lappin
Kalinin Fiddler DSP

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Don't see Boucher having much of a future here other than this season. Wood or JQ should eventually replace him. We have a good amount of depth, guys like Boucher and Blandisi are likely to be expendable in the near future IMO.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Don't see Boucher having much of a future here other than this season. Wood or JQ should eventually replace him. We have a good amount of depth, guys like Boucher and Blandisi are likely to be expendable in the near future IMO.

I'd like to keep Blandisi because he has a unique skillset that not a whole lot of our prospects possess in being a shifty and creative playmaker. Boucher on the other hand has a great shot, and that's about it. Zacha also has a great shot, and will help the team in other areas. Boucher likely becomes a poor man's Michael Ryder.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Blandisi is the better player. I think we still have something in him.

John Moore has quietly put up a very solid preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad