Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
not sold on bennett yet, i know some say he looked good this game, and he did, but he was on the top line. i wasn't impressed with him in previous games. i'm hoping he brings this performance a few more times, in which case i'll feel like we have a solid lock on a 1st line.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd like to keep Blandisi because he has a unique skillset that not a whole lot of our prospects possess in being a shifty and creative playmaker. Boucher on the other hand has a great shot, and that's about it. Zacha also has a great shot, and will help the team in other areas. Boucher likely becomes a poor man's Michael Ryder.

I agree with this. But I am higher on JQ and Wood than either of these two.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Until he can keep from being baited by the opposition AND stay on his skates when bumped all the skills he has are neutralized. His act is getting old already IMO.

Did you even watch him in the preseason?? He looks faster stronger and more defensivey responsible and has been hard to knock off the puck...

Speaking of JQ he looked awful in the few games he was in. Hope he has a good season in the A.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Did you even watch him in the preseason?? He looks faster stronger and more defensivey responsible and has been hard to knock off the puck...

Speaking of JQ he looked awful in the few games he was in. Hope he has a good season in the A.

I agree with this unfortunately. He's got a good shot and can make plays at times, but he needs to be more of a factor in the game on a consistent basis.

Of the four I think Wood and Blandisi have the most potential.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Too say all Boucher has is his shot is pretty misleading. He generate possession very well and has soft hands in terms of puck control. I wish he was quicker, but he is what he is.

Blandisi suffers from the same confirmation bias that Severson does - it's hard to forget about the time he came in and kicked ass for 20 games, but outside of that there really isn't much to see.

Whereas Boucher has shown steady improvement over the years that we can easily track and quantify. Blandisi it's more anecdotal - he "looks good" or "I think he could be something" or he has "a unique skill set". Robbie Schremp had a unique skill set too.

Blandisi has done nothing to prove he automatically warrants an NHL spot. And unlike years past, we actually have some superior options. Why is spending some time in Albany the end of the world to some people?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Look up the possession numbers when Boucher was playing his best with Zajac and Palmieri. That line got consistently crushed. I think hes a fine player but he is sluggish and I don't think fits on the way this team wants to play. Would not be surprised at all to see him traded from this team this season.

We'll see, obviously I hope he proves me wrong. I just think we have better options in Blandisi and Wood. Say what you want about Blandisi, he shows a great ability of hanging onto the puck in the offensive zone, we need more of that. He still needs some seasoning but if hes given another opportunity to play with guys like Zajac and Palmieri I think he will do well. Just look at the one shift those three had together tonight, it was Zajacs and Palmieris best even strength shift. It was due to the ability of Blandisi hanging onto the puck and cycling well. I just do not see a spot for Boucher on this team based on the way Shero and Hynes wants the team to play, especially if Blandisi becomes the player I think he is.

This is a great problem to have. When was the last time our offensive depth + prospects looked this strong six players deep?

LW:
Hall
Cammalleri
Boucher
Blandisi
Kalinin
Wood

RW:
Palmieri
Bennett
DSP
Lappin
Speers
Bastian

C:
Henrique
Zajac
Zacha
McLeod
JQ
Gignac

Last edited:

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Too say all Boucher has is his shot is pretty misleading. He generate possession very well and has soft hands in terms of puck control. I wish he was quicker, but he is what he is.

Blandisi suffers from the same confirmation bias that Severson does - it's hard to forget about the time he came in and kicked ass for 20 games, but outside of that there really isn't much to see.

Whereas Boucher has shown steady improvement over the years that we can easily track and quantify. Blandisi it's more anecdotal - he "looks good" or "I think he could be something" or he has "a unique skill set". Robbie Schremp had a unique skill set too.

Blandisi has done nothing to prove he automatically warrants an NHL spot. And unlike years past, we actually have some superior options. Why is spending some time in Albany the end of the world to some people?

Boucher deserves his shot, no doubt. His waiver eligibility should play a role in him getting that chance. Blandisi I would without a doubt send down. He could use that time to refine areas of his game with a need for improvement. Boosh just looks like the odd man out down the road. Blandisi vs Boucher, I'm picking Blandisi. I just feel he has more potential, considering the adversity he's faced. It'll be interesting to see each of them develop. It's hard to judge, since neither has played a full NHL season.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Boucher is also coming off an injury and it was his first preseason game. Let's see what happens in the final week before the real season begins.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I wonder if the pro-Boucher crowd is the same as the pro-Josefson.

I'd start the season with Blandisi, and have Boucher rotate in.

Josefson also had the 1st round pick being held over his head so that played a factor. Boucher absolutely will be on the opening roster as his waiver eligibility makes him a prime target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad