Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
the question is what do the hurricanes need? based on a quick look at their roster this past year, looks like they NEED a RW and another RD. not sure if we're good trading partners...

didn't someone propose zacha for hanifin straight up?

Yea, they're looking for an impact forward.

Guys open to trading one or two of our forward prospects for D?

Talking Blender or even JQ?

I'd be up for one of them and Henrique and a 2nd round pick, or the first for next years draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Pretty much, though the team was really poorly constructed. I think Justin Faulk not being there was a bigger snub.

Speaking of Carolina defensemen. Would you guys be open to trading with them to get Hannifan and what would you guys be willing to give them?

It would take Zacha and I'm not keen on trading Zacha to a rival.

It would be an intriguing deal though.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I might be missing that this was mentioned somewhere, but is there any word on if the Devils are in on Vadim Shipachyov? He's supposedly fielding big offers and already turned down the Canadiens. 30 years old and was right under Kovy for most points on the team.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
well only so many teams can give him big offers so maybe the Devils are one. friedman said 5.5mil would be around the salary he wants so not many teams could add that and/or have top 6 spots open

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Ah, I remember when ppl wanted to trade our 2017 1st last offseason

A 1st rd pick being involved in a trade for a 5th overall pick that is 6'3 200+ lbs that is smooth skating and a top 4 dman? I'd do it. For a young dman he put up some good numbers trade deadline on.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Ah, I remember when ppl wanted to trade our 2017 1st last offseason

I don't see how winning the lottery invalidates trade suggestions from last year. If we traded the pick last year, we should have been a better team. If we were better, we might not have won the lottery. So the trade could have been for the 8th pick or worse in this year's draft. Depending on the return, we might be pretty happy with that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah there's so many things in motion it's hard to figure it out. Is Kovy a part of the team? Do we trade somebody like Cammalleri or Henrique? If we sign Shattenkirk, we'd have 4 RHD under contract, so what happens there? Plus there's kids like Quenneville, Wood, McLeod, maybe a guy like Speers has a great camp and earns a spot. Hopefully winning the lottery is a sign of positive things to come this summer.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
A 1st rd pick being involved in a trade for a 5th overall pick that is 6'3 200+ lbs that is smooth skating and a top 4 dman? I'd do it. For a young dman he put up some good numbers trade deadline on.

I like him too but I'd be very hesitant to trade our 1st on a rebuilding team with the talent we already see projected for th3 early 1st round next year. You're definitely targeting the right type of player though.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't see how winning the lottery invalidates trade suggestions from last year. If we traded the pick last year, we should have been a better team. If we were better, we might not have won the lottery. So the trade could have been for the 8th pick or worse in this year's draft. Depending on the return, we might be pretty happy with that.

Butterfly effect, I get it. Good movie, terrible casting.

Point being is you don't trade your 1sts on rebuilding teams. 1 extra player would've taken us out of a rebuild.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Butterfly effect, I get it. Good movie, terrible casting.

Point being is you don't trade your 1sts on rebuilding teams. 1 extra player would've taken us out of a rebuild.

I like him too but I'd be very hesitant to trade our 1st on a rebuilding team with the talent we already see projected for th3 early 1st round next year. You're definitely targeting the right type of player though.

If you are going to trade a first round pick on a rebuilding team, go for a young player like Hanifin who is projected to be a top 4 dmen and has showing flashes of already being one. Don't always have to trade next years. Could trade the year after.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Corsi, +/-, and other possession stats are team stats and not necessarily reflective of individual performance.

And point total isn't neccesarily a reflection of good defense either. In fact if you couple a great point total with a bad plus minus coupled with being on good teams, that tells me his defense is actually poor.

Could they use a guy with Shatty's offensive skills sure...is his $7 million or whatever contract an overpayment sure. But the one thing is there really isn't a lot to overpay in FA and seems to be less every year. Of course even a lot of cap space can dissapear quick with one or two questionable moves, that's why people are so hesitant even if we're the team that can most afford to do that kind of move.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah there's so many things in motion it's hard to figure it out. Is Kovy a part of the team? Do we trade somebody like Cammalleri or Henrique? If we sign Shattenkirk, we'd have 4 RHD under contract, so what happens there? Plus there's kids like Quenneville, Wood, McLeod, maybe a guy like Speers has a great camp and earns a spot. Hopefully winning the lottery is a sign of positive things to come this summer.

I think Cammy is definitely gone

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Vegas doesn't pick him how do you get rid of him? I guess you could retain salary on a trade but there's still the matter of the NTC. It'd really be getting rid of him at ten cents of the dollar but he was so awful and passionless they might do that anyway.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think the NTC will be that hard to deal with if they really want him gone. It's getting any kind of value for him that's probably going to be harder.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Before we won the lottery I didn't think carrying him around next year would be so terrible, but with the additions we're going to make we need the space. If no one wants him, buy him out.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If Vegas doesn't pick him how do you get rid of him? I guess you could retain salary on a trade but there's still the matter of the NTC. It'd really be getting rid of him at ten cents of the dollar but he was so awful and passionless they might do that anyway.

Buy him out? Nobody will trade for him.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

LTIR? Bury him in the minors until he gets rid of his NTC?

And point total isn't neccesarily a reflection of good defense either. In fact if you couple a great point total with a bad plus minus coupled with being on good teams, that tells me his defense is actually poor.

Could they use a guy with Shatty's offensive skills sure...is his $7 million or whatever contract an overpayment sure. But the one thing is there really isn't a lot to overpay in FA and seems to be less every year. Of course even a lot of cap space can dissapear quick with one or two questionable moves, that's why people are so hesitant even if we're the team that can most afford to do that kind of move.

That's exactly my point. I know he can put up points, but given how he has had bad +/- on good teams the past few seasons isn't a good sign and is kind of telling about how he isn't good defensively. IDK if anyone is watching the Caps right now, but he again looks bad. He is poor defensively. We don't need the perfect dman, but we sure as hell don't need a one trick pony at the price of 7 million. Because as many goals as he might help the team create, he will also be responsible for many against. Especially when he will be asked to do more on this team than what he is used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad