Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I would try and resign Shlemko, Stempniack I would move. I'd also consider moving Greene or Severson but not for picks but a good young forward. Matteau, Gellinas I would move for picks. Josefson should be our future 4th, center with Kalinin on his wing. Work on a new 3rd, line.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would try and resign Shlemko, Stempniack I would move. I'd also consider moving Greene or Severson but not for picks but a good young forward. Matteau, Gellinas I would move for picks. Josefson should be our future 4th, center with Kalinin on his wing. Work on a new 3rd, line.

I don't see any reason to not trade Schlemko and Stepniak if we keep the same position or fall even more. Need to recoup some assets and then we can try to sign them in the offseason. Also gives guys like Merrill and Severson more ice time and a chance to be evaluated further. Not willing to trade Severson unless we are making a trade for RNH or someone similar. Matteau and Gelinas probably bring back a 5th...at best. And I agree that Josefson and Kalinin should be on the 4th line next season and we need a new 3rd line. No more Gionta and Tootoo.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Schlemko has played very well for us, but as well as he's played, I still view him as "filler". I'm assuming Shero signed both Moore and Schlemko so Merrill and Severson weren't forced to play overly difficult 2 pairing minutes while they were still developing....makes sense but we are getting close to time for that transfer to take place...maybe not this season but next season for sure.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Schlemko has played very well for us, but as well as he's played, I still view him as "filler". I'm assuming Shero signed both Moore and Schlemko so Merrill and Severson weren't forced to play overly difficult 2 pairing minutes while they were still developing....makes sense but we are getting close to time for that transfer to take place...maybe not this season but next season for sure.

I'm OK with keeping Schlemko. I'd like for these to be our pairings moving forward with Helgeson as the 7th guy.

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Schlemko - Santini

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm OK with keeping Schlemko. I'd like for these to be our pairings moving forward with Helgeson as the 7th guy.

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Schlemko - Santini

I like the looks of that. But it's impossible to pencil in Santini. He is going to need to go through the process just like Larsson has and Merrill and Severson are right now.

Even if Santini turns pro this summer and things go extremely well, we're probably looking at two years for him to settle in and be a regular contributor.

A perfect scenario for Santini would be 20 or so games next year splitting time with Albany and New Jersey and him earning a regular spot in the second year....and that would be excellent, it can and might take a lot longer

So we're still going to need the "filler" but we have Moore with 2 more years on his contract, Helgeson signed for one more year and Schlemko a UFA. All 3 Left handed Dmen I might add.

That scenario really doesn't bode well for Schlemko.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One thing is certain though, this defense is in good shape for the foreseeable future.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I like the looks of that. But it's impossible to pencil in Santini. He is going to need to go through the process just like Larsson has and Merrill and Severson are right now.

Even if Santini turns pro this summer and things go extremely well, we're probably looking at two years for him to settle in and be a regular contributor.

A perfect scenario for Santini would be 20 or so games next year splitting time with Albany and New Jersey and him earning a regular spot in the second year....and that would be excellent, it can and might take a lot longer

So we're still going to need the "filler" but we have Moore with 2 more years on his contract, Helgeson signed for one more year and Schlemko a UFA. All 3 Left handed Dmen I might add.

That scenario really doesn't bode well for Schlemko.

Schlemko is the best pmd we have currently abd leads the D in G abd maybe helpers too
It's a nice problem to have

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don't see any reason to not trade Schlemko and Stepniak if we keep the same position or fall even more. Need to recoup some assets and then we can try to sign them in the offseason. Also gives guys like Merrill and Severson more ice time and a chance to be evaluated further. Not willing to trade Severson unless we are making a trade for RNH or someone similar. Matteau and Gelinas probably bring back a 5th...at best. And I agree that Josefson and Kalinin should be on the 4th line next season and we need a new 3rd line. No more Gionta and Tootoo.

Shero has said he won't be dealing but a couple of additional losses before the deadline might change his mind. This would be an easier decision if we hadn't taken 5 points from WAS, PHL, and LAK. I was pretty confident we'd lose to the Caps and Kings and the Flyers just beat us like a rented mule in the second game. Now we're still within striking distance and with some separation with lower teams. I'd go for picks at this point, either to continue stocking the prospect pool or for trade currency, but I can see how the FO wouldn't want to move anyone.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Shero has said he won't be dealing but a couple of additional losses before the deadline might change his mind. This would be an easier decision if we hadn't taken 5 points from WAS, PHL, and LAK. I was pretty confident we'd lose to the Caps and Kings and the Flyers just beat us like a rented mule in the second game. Now we're still within striking distance and with some separation with lower teams. I'd go for picks at this point, either to continue stocking the prospect pool or for trade currency, but I can see how the FO wouldn't want to move anyone.
We have 4 games before the break and some tough games. If we go something like 1-3, I don't see how we could get back into the playoff race. I don't think Shero is going to be like Lou and not sell off. He seems to be thinking long term and I kind of get the sense that he knows this team has 0 chance to win the cup even if we make the playoffs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Schlemko is the best pmd we have currently abd leads the D in G abd maybe helpers too
It's a nice problem to have

I don't disagree but looking at the landscape, it appears one of Schlemko, Helgeson or Moore have to be the odd man out in the future?

Judging solely by usage this season it looks like the coaching staff values Moore over Schlemko. Moore has been used in a wider array of situations and given the bulk of the 2nd pairing minutes this season.

The question as I see it, is how they value Helgeson. Do they see him as an a potential every day player or just a fill in role player type when they need some thump? I'm not sure because he seems to be getting an expanded look right now. This appears to be more than just a "fill in" at this point? And if they truly like the element that he is bringing, it would seem almost inevitable that one of Moore or Schlemko is the odd man out?

If that is the case, I don't like Schlemko's chances.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't disagree but looking at the landscape, it appears one of Schlemko, Helgeson or Moore have to be the odd man out in the future?

Judging solely by usage this season it looks like the coaching staff values Moore over Schlemko. Moore has been used in a wider array of situations and given the bulk of the 2nd pairing minutes this season.

The question as I see it, is how they value Helgeson. Do they see him as an a potential every day player or just a fill in role player type when they need some thump? I'm not sure because he seems to be getting an expanded look right now. This appears to be more than just a "fill in" at this point? And if they truly like the element that he is bringing, it would seem almost inevitable that one of Moore or Schlemko is the odd man out?

Moore is safe with him being signed for 2 more years and getting played a decent amount IMO. Merrill is the one who is more at risk I would think but I don't see either of these 2 going anywhere. Gelinas should be cut, Schlemko I would bring back if not traded. If he is traded I would be all for signing him in the offseason. Helgeson could be a #7 or 8 guy next season possibly. I'm not high on him personally, this league is becoming more and more about speed and he is slow as they come.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I like Hulk but I think he's redundant with Santini on the way
His game has grown and I would like to move him for O help
Think he has a place on a team in the league but can play more and have more opps elsewhere

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Moore is safe with him being signed for 2 more years and getting played a decent amount IMO. Merrill is the one who is more at risk I would think but I don't see either of these 2 going anywhere. Gelinas should be cut, Schlemko I would bring back if not traded. If he is traded I would be all for signing him in the offseason. Helgeson could be a #7 or 8 guy next season possibly. I'm not high on him personally, this league is becoming more and more about speed and he is slow as they come.
I actually forgot to even factor Gelinas. LoL.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I would trade severson for drouin if the Devils could somehow acquire vatanen from the ducks if they can't afford to pay him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would trade severson for drouin if the Devils could somehow acquire vatanen from the ducks if they can't afford to pay him.

RH
Larsson
Severson

LH
Greene
Merrill
Moore
Schlemko (although he's played RD a lot this season )
Helgeson
Gelinas

See a problem there?

Severson is going nowhere. Although Vatenen is RHD, it doesn't make sense to move Severson who only 21 and still has a year remaining on his ELC with more cost controlled years to come.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
We have 4 games before the break and some tough games. If we go something like 1-3, I don't see how we could get back into the playoff race. I don't think Shero is going to be like Lou and not sell off. He seems to be thinking long term and I kind of get the sense that he knows this team has 0 chance to win the cup even if we make the playoffs.

I agree and hope you're correct. The long term vision is what's important, not a Pyrrhic victory of challenging for a spot and coming up short.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Vatanen is still pretty young and like I said I would only give up severson if we got someone like vatanen. they have to improve the forward core a lot. Can't rely on cammalleri as a go to guy because of his yearly injury bug and he'll be 34 when next season starts. And they also can't depend on getting a guy from a tryout and then coming in and leading the team in scoring.

If the Devils could acquire drouin without giving up severson say like santini and quenneville I'd be more for that but this team only has so much attractive assets. The Devils need guys who can potentially develop into something better than they currently are not guys who are in the decline of their careers.

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
RH
Larsson
Severson

LH
Greene
Merrill
Moore
Schlemko (although he's played RD a lot this season )
Helgeson
Gelinas

See a problem there?

Severson is going nowhere. Although Vatenen is RHD, it doesn't make sense to move Severson who only 21 and still has a year remaining on his ELC with more cost controlled years to come.

Yeah when you see such little RHD like above
I don't see it for Drouin
I think it's more likely, we miss the POs, get a pick around 20, trade merill or similar (they want a rhd) for Drouin

But I just check our D prospect pool and they are ALL righties!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't even see how Drouin fits on this team. He appears to be heading to be a permanent LW, I don't think his defense is or will be good enough to be a center.

And if there is one thing we don't need its a LW.

I rather just hold the spot for Zacha, who's profile is a much better fit for our team.

But beyond that, Cammalleri, Boucher, Blandisi, probably Quenneville, if we had a better center Henrique would probably be a LW today, Matteau and Wood in the future... I really don't see the need for another LW at all. Especially not at the price of one of our young defenders.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
TG says in Shero's talks with Stemps agent he believes he would be willing to resign in the summer here even if we trade him at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad