Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) Offseason version ‎II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Protecting people like Zajac and Cammalleri over Blandisi would be a mistake. Not that Blandisi will be better than either of their peaks - that's doubtful - but if he makes strides next year the Devils would be better served playing chicken with one of their better players who are on not-so-great contracts. If they don't have to protect Clowe this shouldn't even be an issue.

Obviously if Blandisi has a down year this is moot, but still, I'd probably put him 4th on the forward protection list behind Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri right now.

I disagree and I don't think Zajac or Cammalleri's contracts are that bad.

Zajac's is definitely arguable, but until we have someone who can do what Zajac does in terms of shutting down the top lines while driving play, I don't move him or expose him. He's just too important to the team for a variety of reasons and is great player to have around a young team.

Furthermore, I don't think we really have any significant raises coming to our young prospects or at least none that will handicap us by keeping Zajac around. Unless our prospects go full Tampa Bay and impress, which is a great problem to have, I don't see Zajac's contract being a problem until his final year. To me, at that point, you have more options to get rid of him. I forgot what GM it is, but he made a point that you don't not sign someone because of years 6 or 7, you sign them for the first four or five years. I think the same holds true with keeping Zajac around.

Also, we will likely be forced to exposed DSP due to the 40/70 games played rule. Blandisi might be another candidate for that slot as well given they have to be signed through 2017-18. I'm going to assume being contracted to the team by being an RFA would work as well. Then again, if that's the case, Kalinin or JJ would be exposed first.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
Certainly no need to protect Camm. Las Vegas will want to select an aging player who is often injured ?albeit he can still play and is on a decent contract,but I don't see it happening.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Certainly no need to protect Camm. Las Vegas will want to select an aging player who is often injured ?albeit he can still play and is on a decent contract,but I don't see it happening.

He would likely be their best forward and a potential trade asset.

What other player would you rather have on the Devils that they would leave unprotected?

When you look at some teams, there is likely to be some very valuable defenders left unprotected. Not so much with the forwards though.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
There's no way I'm protecting Blandisi over Zajac or Camm unless Blandisi proves to be a breakout player. He's simply not good enough to be protected right now. That can change this year but as it stands, DSP and Boucher are likely over him.

Right now it's:
Hall
Rico
Palms
Zajac
Camm
Boucher
DSP/Bennett/Blandisi

Those guys will have to fight it out for the final forward protection spot. My money is on DSP.

Zajac isn't a bad contract we don't need to rid ourselves of him. He's a huge part of this team even if he isn't a sexy player. He makes everyone around him better and is a great team leader. It would be a huge mistake not to protect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad