Post-Game Talk: Devils 2 @ Canucks 1 | Sunday. Hometown Hockey. CBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So the Canucks are 6-2-2 in their last 10. 1 point out of a playoff spot. Like it or not, the Canucks are in the thick of everything. Are closer to the top of the Division than the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Hoping for another big night from the Granlund-Sutter-Megna line, and for Eriksson to do something, anything.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Time to get a win. This seems like a great time hockey wise to get Boucher in. A couple days of practice and settled in for a home game after hopefully getting settled a bit.

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
I'll be doing an in person AMA next to the SN truck at 4pm. See you all there!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
3-1 Devils in ANOTHER boring snoozer. Baertchi with our goal

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yes but at least it's not vs. Minny

NJ was absolutely painful to watch against Calgary when they had the lead. Had all 5 players back in their half of the ice when Calgary was in their own zone.

At least Minny is 6th in the NHL in scoring.

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
NJ was absolutely painful to watch against Calgary when they had the lead. Had all 5 players back in their half of the ice when Calgary was in their own zone.

That's a great point! Dumba!

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Nucks are probably the most boring of the 3. Too biased to tell, personally.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Much as I was want to see Boucher (and Rodin) get in this game, I can't see Willie changing it up. Megna just had a multi point game (credit where it's due, he was good in Philly), and I don't know that he will sit one of Chaput or Gaunce.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So the Canucks are 6-2-2 in their last 10. 1 point out of a playoff spot. Like it or not, the Canucks are in the thick of everything. Are closer to the top of the Division than the bottom.

If I have to choose between "like it or not," I choose 'like it.'

With the emergence of Bo Horvat, I am of the opinion that the Canucks (and their fans) shouldn't be praying and hoping for a tank of some kind.

That's not to say that they should start burning picks to make a stronger playoff push, but the days of "wishful tanking" should be over in my opinion.

With Horvat here, the Canucks don't need to "fall, tank, and pray" that they land the next Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews.

Canucks should compete as hard as they can, fall somewhere in the middle of the draft, and with good scouting, get the next Ryan Kesler, Claude Giroux, or Anze Kopitar to complement Bo Horvat.

Competing hard and drafting another Horvat > Tanking and *possibly* landing the next McDavid.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If I have to choose between "like it or not," I choose 'like it.'

With the emergence of Bo Horvat, I am of the opinion that the Canucks (and their fans) shouldn't be praying and hoping for a tank of some kind.

That's not to say that they should start burning picks to make a stronger playoff push, but the days of "wishful tanking" should be over in my opinion.

With Horvat here, the Canucks don't need to "fall, tank, and pray" that they land the next Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews.

Canucks should compete as hard as they can, fall somewhere in the middle of the draft, and with good scouting, get the next Ryan Kesler, Claude Giroux, or Anze Kopitar to complement Bo Horvat.

Competing hard and drafting another Horvat > Tanking and *possibly* landing the next McDavid.

Cause if theres one thing Benning has done, is hit on all his first round picks :shakehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Game promises to the a snooze-fest....Devils playing their third game in four nights....they'll be dumping it out and dumping it in....and Canucks just don't have the offensive skill these days to beat the trap.

A 2-1 score for somebody sounds about right.....another game watching the Sedins drive the first-unit pp into the ground; and the fourth line of Skille, Gaunce and Chaput hacking and whacking out there.

Oh the pulsating excitement of it all.:handclap:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Cause if theres one thing Benning has done, is hit on all his first round picks :shakehead

Benning seems to have more success with later picks anyways (i.e. Demko, Boeser, etc., seem to be trending upwards).

Will Juolevi be as good or better than Tkachuk? The jury is still out on that one.

Even with Virtanen, it's still too early to tell whether he'll be a bust or not. PWF's typically take longer to develop.

I think my point still stands though. Given the emergence of Horvat, the Canucks shouldn't be trying to tank and pray. Compete as hard as you can, instill work ethic and drive in the players, and draft another Kesler/Horvat type guy in the draft with a mid 1st.......or dare I say, a Giroux/Kopitar kind of guy if you get lucky.

None of this hocus pocus tanking. We don't need it, given the emergence of Horvat. If this team gets another Bo Horvat calibre guy at center, we're set.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Not Hall....inadvertently did the Canucks a big favour by blasting Larsen in the last game....forced Willie to put Stecher on the first pairing with Edler and also on the first unit pp.

It's about the only way he ever makes a lineup change--when he's basically forced into to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad