Rumor: Devils “would like” to trade Keith Kinkaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He's not a bad goalie, I was impressed with him at the WC last summer. Other goalies that shined there that tournament were McBackup, Nilsson who aren't great but have played well this season. Andersen and Shesty were also solid.

I think Kinkaid is better than his numbers, NJ is just a sinkhole this season.

Reactions: My3Sons and PJ817

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
He's not a bad goalie, I was impressed with him at the WC last summer. Other goalies that shined there that tournament were McBackup, Nilsson who aren't great but have played well this season. Andersen and Shesty were also solid.

He's not a starter and performs admirable albeit in a backup role....hes a backup that plays here and there and that's it.

Oh and he's great with social media

Reactions: Bleedred

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Maybe St.Louis could trade Jake Allen and either Jordan Scmaltz or a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2020 to New Jersey for Kinkaid as a backup in St. Louis.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With how up and down our goalies have been, I wouldn't mind adding Kinkaid as a #3. He could provide some rest days for Smith & Rittich, he's probably also better insurance than Gillies if someone goes down.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Dude is a total enigma, when he's 'on' he's unreal and the rest of the time he's a complete liability.

He was amazing for us down the stretch last year though, he came up huge when the team was actually playing good hockey and trying to make the playoffs. This year he was solid to start the season (when we admittedly weren't playing too badly) but has since sunk with the rest of the team. Maybe on a better team with more confidence and more to play for he might rise to the occasion again, can't imagine he'll cost a lot so perhaps not a bad punt for a playoff team that's looking to add a little goalie insurance.

There's a few teams that maybe aren't 100% confident in their backups/goaltending in general, I could see one of those kicking us a 4th/5th round pick for Kinkaid, that's about the best we can hope for I think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Trust me, he's every bit as bad as his numbers this season. The only goalies that have looked worse to me on the eye test (only counting guys that have played a significant amount of games, like 20 or more) are probably Cam Talbot and Mike Smith. Jake Allen is pretty close. Mikko Koskinen is pretty close, although his suckage on the eye test has slowed down recently, while his numbers have regressed to the mean. I'm not gonna count guys like Hutchinson or Scott Darling, who played limited games, looked terrible and have promptly been thrown into the AHL. Believe it or not, Cory Schneider has actually looked worse than him this season, but he's still played a very small numbers of games in comparison. I have watched every single goal scored in the NHL this season. All 5000+.

But to be fair, I don't think he'd have these numbers if he weren't the starter this year. I think they'd be at least respectable in his proper role, which is that of a backup and a backup only.

Last season was a one year hot streak. We've seen guys who are nothing but backups play similar for one season, then bomb the next year or never repeat it again. Scott Clemmensen did it in New Jersey when Brodeur was injured in 08-09. Chad Johnson did it in 16-17 for Calgary while Elliott struggled, then the next year he reminded us that he's really not a solid 1b goalie, but nothing more than a career backup in the NHL. Even Mike Condon had a hot streak season where he played a lot of games in Ottawa. Remember when Peter Budaj had that hot streak two years ago for LA?

I put Kinkaid on par with guys like Al Montoya, Chad Johnson. I'm not saying Kinkaid isn't better than those guys are right now, but that's just what his career will likely wind up being on par with, and he probably won't be in the league too many years into his 30's.

I think he can be a .915% goalie as a sparsely used backup next season. Keith Kinkaid isn't bad because ''The Devils DEE suckz!''. Keith Kinkaid is bad this year because before Blackwood was called up, he was the best goalie the Devils had on the roster and that included Cory Schneider and his miserably unplayable start to the season. When Keith Kinkaid is the best goalie on your roster, don't expect to get too far. A team like Tampa or this year's Sharks probably wouldn't suffer much with him as their starter, but there's no way Tampa would be winning the President's Trophy with him or even winning their division. He probably is on par with Louis Domingue though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing I will say. I would not trade Kinkaid for Garret Sparks, because that means we'd have Sparks on the team next year. Garret Sparks has completely failed my eye test this year. I don't understand how he has a .908% save percentage and not one that's also in the .890's%. My guess is it's because he's only played 13 games and if he played more, they would even out a bit, because he's looked really bad. And he gives up some of worst goals I've seen this year that weren't scored on Mike Smith. Very leaky, too many long shots with clear views. I remember a game against Anaheim where he allowed only one goal on like 36 shots, but it was this slapshot from the point with no traffic or deflection. It reminded me of a goal from the 80's, it was so bad.

On the other hand, Frederik Andersen has played every bit as well as .923% save percentage. At least every bit as well, if not even better. Andersen has been one of the best goalies I've seen this year. He'd get my Vezina vote right now. Sparks and Hutchinson both looked more than significantly worse.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Penguins could use him; 5th round pick?
I'd take it.

I don't think he's an upgrade on either DeSmith or Murray though.

One of his greatest assets this year was his play against the Pens, up until his last game. :laugh:

I remember one person earlier in the year even saying the Pens would trade for him just so they wouldn't have to face him again this year.:laugh:

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
He has been very bad this year, but part of it is due to overwork. I think he's good as a chill backup that is a good dressing room presence and spells the starter with no complaints for 15-20 games. Anything more than that and the pressure gets to him. He had a great run last year but was wisely replaced by Schneider in the playoffs.

Guys like that still have value. The sadist in me wants to keep him for the rest of the year because those games will be likely losses (as opposed to Schneider who has looked like a completely different goalie lately). In terms of what's best for his career though, it's probably best for him to try his luck somewhere else. And I do think Keith can be a decent player somewhere with slightly less expectations.

Next year is probably going to be Schneider/Blackwood for the Devils so no room for KK.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He has been very bad this year, but part of it is due to overwork. I think he's good as a chill backup that is a good dressing room presence and spells the starter with no complaints for 15-20 games. Anything more than that and the pressure gets to him. He had a great run last year but was wisely replaced by Schneider in the playoffs.

Guys like that still have value. The sadist in me wants to keep him for the rest of the year because those games will be likely losses (as opposed to Schneider who has looked like a completely different goalie lately). In terms of what's best for his career though, it's probably best for him to try his luck somewhere else. And I do think Keith can be a decent player somewhere with slightly less expectations.

Next year is probably going to be Schneider/Blackwood for the Devils so no room for KK.
I agree with you completely on Kinkaid. He looks to have cracked recently. He was actually playing fine until about early December. His last 3 games have just been disastrous, as have most of his starts since the break, aside from the first game back against Pittsburgh and Carolina. He was looking bad before that, but he looks to be worse and worse every game now. He's completed a soft goal hat trick 3 games in a row now.

I'm actually thinking Schneider/Blackwood might not be the tandem next year. I think that will depend on how well Blackwood does in the AHL for the rest of the year. If not, then it will be Schneider and somebody else. Could be Jack Campbell. Another guy that's usually been a backup, but has a bit more upside than a guy like Kinkaid. If Blackwood finishes the season not looking great in the AHL, I think Ray goes in a different direction for next year in goal in the NHL and lets Blackwood have another year in the minors. And that's fine, as there aren't a whole lot of goalies younger than Blackwood in the NHL right now. The only 23 year old (and Blackwood doesn't turn 23 until December) goalies in the league full time are usually the really good ones. When you look around the league, some of the other younger goalies that have been called up recently like Binnington, he's 3.5 years older than Blackwood and just started his first NHL game two months ago. Not including Carter Hart, who is 1.5 years younger than Blackwood. I think only Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck have been in the NHL permanently at a younger age in recent seasons.

I also don't think Schneider's spot for next year is safe, but the heat is certainly off of him the last two weeks. It's certainly been lowered. I think if he plays decently the rest of the season and can get his save percentage up above .900%, he'll definitely be back next year, but one more poor year and I'd say he's definitely a buyout in 2020. And with then two years remaining on his deal, it wouldn't be a catastrophic or even tough buyout, as we bought out Cammalleri (who made less, but only slightly less) when he had 2 years remaining on his deal two years ago. Adjusted for cap inflation, it will probably be about the same as that.

I'd have to think Shero has a plan for next year in goal, especially with his comments mocking the goaltending and public calling the goalies out about two months ago, ''I can't tell you the goaltending has been outstanding or you'd say what the hell is this guy talking about?''. Even Schneider was particularly buried by him. He was softer on Kinkaid because he really isn't supposed to be the starter here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wondering what NJ would want from the Islanders since he's a local kid.
Probably not much, but is he really an upgrade for Greiss? He's certainly no upgrade on Lehner.

I could see the Islanders signing him to backup Lehner next year. I don't see them retaining Greiss and I don't even think there's a need to, unless he wants to play for cheap. Re-sign Lehner for sure and maybe Lou gives Keith a call to be the backup for the Islanders? He'd probably be solid as a backup there, if he can put this miserable season behind him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would this be to get Blackwood in the NHL? I really want the Sens to try and get Blackwood for the rebuild.

No. It’s because he is a UFA and done in New Jersey.

That said no way NJ trades their only good goalie prospect in Blackwood. Not with Cory’s health still a gigantic question mark.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Penguins could use him; 5th round pick?

This would be fine. The real goal here is to get Blackwood back in the NHL. He has looked fantastic in his limited starts. We’re not resigning Kinkaid and every GM knows that, so getting a 5th is probably all we can hope for, if that.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Isn't Toronto the only buyer that needs a backup?

Ennis + Spparks for Kinkaid

absolutely not.

Sparks: 7-4-1, 2.86gaa/.908sv%
Hutchinson: 2-3-0. 2.64gaa/.914sv%

Kinkaid: 15-18-6, 3.36gaa/.891sv%

leafs dont need kinkaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad