Prospect Info: Devil-Centric Mock 3.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
maybe his interviews will suck

i mean, barzal and veleno fell far

I had Veleno in my top 10 last year, as the #1 center in the draft. I was shocked he fell so far. The same with Barzal, whom I ranked top 5 and had mocked to the Devils at #6 on toddaysslapshot.com. Someone always falls.

An interesting question is: who will it be this year? It's tough to tell. In the mock draft which this thread is based on, I have Vasili Podkolzin going at #11 overall, when many draft experts have him going at #3/#4. So, that would have to be considered a "drop" of sorts. There are also a few Ryan Merkley-esque polarizing players in the class of 2019. Cole Caufield's goal-scoring is the best in the draft class, but there are still many teams who will shy away from a 5'7-155 player in the first round. Arthur Kaliyev is likely the second-best pure goal-scorer available, but questions about his 200-foot game have him ranked everywhere from the top 10 to out of the first round entirely. On defense, Matthew Robertson's physicality and defensive acuity could see him drafted in the early teens, while questions about his offensive upside could drop him into the second round. Conversely, Philip Broberg's pure athleticism and rare size/speed combination have some pundits ranking him top 10, while questions of poor hands and a very low hockey IQ could drop him to the late first round.

Ultimately, the biggest wild card in the draft is at none of these positions -- it's goaltender Spencer Knight. Considered to be the best goalie prospect since Carey Price (whom he is most often compared to), a team could fall in love and draft him early in the first. Or, skepticism about drafting goalies to early could drop him well out of the first round entirely.

It will be interesting to watch, that is for certain.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I had Veleno in my top 10 last year, as the #1 center in the draft. I was shocked he fell so far. The same with Barzal, whom I ranked top 5 and had mocked to the Devils at #6 on toddaysslapshot.com. Someone always falls.

An interesting question is: who will it be this year? It's tough to tell. In the mock draft which this thread is based on, I have Vasili Podkolzin going at #11 overall, when many draft experts have him going at #3/#4. So, that would have to be considered a "drop" of sorts. There are also a few Ryan Merkley-esque polarizing players in the class of 2019. Cole Caufield's goal-scoring is the best in the draft class, but there are still many teams who will shy away from a 5'7-155 player in the first round. Arthur Kaliyev is likely the second-best pure goal-scorer available, but questions about his 200-foot game have him ranked everywhere from the top 10 to out of the first round entirely. On defense, Matthew Robertson's physicality and defensive acuity could see him drafted in the early teens, while questions about his offensive upside could drop him into the second round. Conversely, Philip Broberg's pure athleticism and rare size/speed combination have some pundits ranking him top 10, while questions of poor hands and a very low hockey IQ could drop him to the late first round.

Ultimately, the biggest wild card in the draft is at none of these positions -- it's goaltender Spencer Knight. Considered to be the best goalie prospect since Carey Price (whom he is most often compared to), a team could fall in love and draft him early in the first. Or, skepticism about drafting goalies to early could drop him well out of the first round entirely.

Too many teams with at least 2 first rounders for Knight to drop past the first round.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Too many teams with at least 2 first rounders for Knight to drop past the first round.
He'd be AWFULLY hard to pass up if he dropped to our 2nd pick, even if there's promising forwards still on the board.

Unfortunately, I couldn't possibly see Carolina passing on him if he drops to the last 4 picks of the round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

LD Layton Ahac, Prince George, BCHL
It is no secret that, after drafting Jack Hughes first overall, the Devils are going to need to use the remainder of the 2019 draft addressing the organizational blueline depth. The Devils have a whopping 6 picks between #34 and #96, and those will be crucial to the future of the organization. But it is important to note that there are some pretty intriguing defense options who will be available in the late (5th/6th/7th) rounds, as well. One of those is Layton Ahac.

Ahac immediately impresses due to his combination of very good skating skill and ideal NHL size (6'2-195). I think he's gone a bit under the radar because he plies his trade in the BCHL, and plays what could be described as a "quiet" game. Though not afraid of physicality, he is not a player to look for a big hit. Though his offense is smart and effective, he does not feature a cannon-shot or attempt end-to-end rushes. Ahac's finest attributes are his steady play in the defensive zone and his efficiency with outlet passing. He's just a calm, heady, good hockey player -- a future bottom 4 guy, a player who clears the zone and plays mistake-free hockey, but also one who will occasionally impress with a tape-to-tape stretch pass.

Not every draft pick is going to be a sexy, upside swing for the fences. The Devils need defense, and they need size and strength on the back-end. Heading to Ohio State in the fall, Layton Ahac will have a few years to develop into his very good potential as a big, mobile and smart bottom-4 defensive defenseman. He is certainly worth consideration in the 5th/6th/7th rounds.

Reactions: My3Sons

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Weighing in on Bobby Brink and playing devil’s advocate (no pun intended)...

I’ve read from a reputable scouting source that there is some concern that Brink is an average skater and doesn’t seem to have a “second gear.” Would this be a valid critique or is it being overstated by the writer as a concern at pro level?

I certainly like the kid’s scoring acumen and RW is an organization need. I will be pleased if he is the early second round pick but my personal preference is a defenseman (Korczak/Thomson/McCarty). We need some sandpaper back there as it’s been way too easy to play against the Devils in dirty areas over the past few years. It’s likely a pipe dream that Seider falls into round 2 or he’d be on my wish list.

Brett Leason is another player I like (if we go forward) but it also appears unlikely he will fall into round 2. However, as an overage player...it’ll be interesting to see how teams view him so perhaps there’s a chance...a better chance he’s available than Seider...

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Weighing in on Bobby Brink and playing devil’s advocate (no pun intended)...

I’ve read from a reputable scouting source that there is some concern that Brink is an average skater and doesn’t seem to have a “second gear.” Would this be a valid critique or is it being overstated by the writer as a concern at pro level?

I certainly like the kid’s scoring acumen and RW is an organization need. I will be pleased if he is the early second round pick but my personal preference is a defenseman (Korczak/Thomson/McCarty). We need some sandpaper back there as it’s been way too easy to play against the Devils in dirty areas over the past few years. It’s likely a pipe dream that Seider falls into round 2 or he’d be on my wish list.

Brett Leason is another player I like (if we go forward) but it also appears unlikely he will fall into round 2. However, as an overage player...it’ll be interesting to see how teams view him so perhaps there’s a chance...a better chance he’s available than Seider...

My opinion for the draft order of the three players you mentioned is:
1 Seider
2 Leason
3 Brink

Seider is going to be a commodity, in that the 2019 draft is thin in top-pair potential RD. Seider is a behemoth at 6'4 and combines excellent skating with very good hockey skill. Leason will also be in high demand in my opinion -- even though his offensive ceiling is not remarkable, we could be looking at a comparable to prime-era Wayne Simmonds with a superior 200-foot game. Brink is a wild card in that you can't teach his type of offensive skill -- he's certainly a first-line caliber shooter and puck-handler. However, his size is unremarkable at 5'10 and he's a decent skater, but not an appreciably impressive one.

Will this affect Brink's NHL production? Well, that's what the scouts are attempting to discern; as well as why his draft projection ranges from the 15-range all the way down into the early second round. Personally, I don't think I would take Brink in the mid-teens if Rafael Lavoie were still on the board, or even Arthur Kaliyev. But that's not a knock on Brink -- I've been high on him all along and it is certainly within the realm of possibility that he winds up the best of the three RWs I'm comparing here.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Its actually not that much teams. NYR has a late first but they just drafted a goalie last year in the 2nd round. Its fair to count them out. Will Colorado draft Knight at 16? That is their only other first rounder.

LAK are the only other team with two first rounders. Then of course Ottawa at #32 and LAK again at #33.

Knight would be my #1 longshot pick at 34.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If all the forwards get taken ahead of Minnesota at #12, it wouldn't shock me (or at least be any more out of left field than their 1st pick last year) for them to go with Knight. Their GM Paul Fenton was with Nashville for the longest time and they spent some high picks on goalies. Dubnyk's signed for a couple more years and they don't really have a top tier goalie prospect in their system.

Dale Tallon doesn't have a history of taking goalies with top picks, but even if he were to splurge on Bobrovsky (or somebody else) in the offseason, it might not be too absurd a thought to have Knight in the system for Florida. Vegas could be a wild card at #17 as Fleury is turning 35 this season. Colorado at #16 could make some sense, but we'll see if it that's they can win two games to bump their pick further down.

Carolina's owner said he wouldn't let them take a D in the first round, but perhaps a goalie if Knight were to slip to them?

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Vegas could be a wild card at #17 as Fleury is turning 35 this season. Colorado at #16 could make some sense, but we'll see if it that's they can win two games to bump their pick further down.

Due to Fleury’s age and the Knights make-up, they should draft Knight. They have a very solid offense and we haven’t even seen Cody Glass or Nikita Gusev in the mix yet.

From a marketing perspective alone, they should draft Knight.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Anyone so far who has a supposed attitude problem? That’s usually what causes someone to fall.

Those falls usually end up being justified. I can’t think of many “attitude” problem guys that fall hard but end up being home runs.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The Leason situation is so interesting to me. Has an overager ever been drafted in the first round? Kudos to him.

I hope Beecher falls to us but he probably played himself into the first round. Same with Bjornfot.

Maybe we take a sot on Misyul. His upside should negate the Russian factor.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Anyone so far who has a supposed attitude problem? That’s usually what causes someone to fall.

Not a projected first-round pick, and not necessarily an attitude problem, but one of the big critiques some scouts have of Albin Grewe is that he plays far too selfish of a game (most notably in not using his linemates well). We'll see how he interviews at the combine, but I'm expecting him to get grilled on that stuff and might even see his stock drop a little bit. I could see him being picked as high as the 2nd round but it wouldn't surprise me to see him drop on draft day. If he was to, I would assume it's because of that perception of his play and any struggles in the interview process.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Due to Fleury’s age and the Knights make-up, they should draft Knight. They have a very solid offense and we haven’t even seen Cody Glass or Nikita Gusev in the mix yet.

From a marketing perspective alone, they should draft Knight.

I didn't even think of the marketing potential, that's almost too good. I could see Vegas going for a defenseman to replace Brannstrom as well.

The Leason situation is so interesting to me. Has an overager ever been drafted in the first round? Kudos to him.

Off the top of my head, Tanner Pearson was the most recent one who hadn't been drafted before. Devils drafted Scott Parker in 1996, but we weren't able to sign him, so he re-entered the draft and went in the 1st round in 1998. Nick Boynton was a top 10 pick in 1997, didn't sign, and then was taken in the 1st round again in 1999. Ruslan Salei (RIP) was a top ten pick in 1996 and he was 21 at the time, but that was partially due to how bad the 1996 draft class was. Mikko Koskinen was the 31st pick in 2009 in his fourth time through the draft.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

I'm really, really high on Kaliyev and if he dropped into the 2nd and we picked him it would literally be like winning the lottery. I'd honestly start getting very serious about trading up into the 20s if he isn't picked by then. I'd also be happy with Knight or Leason with our 2nd rounder. Originally I was hoping that we'd land Byram at around 4/5OA and that Leason would drop to us somehow, but now that we've won Hughes why not just hope we get even luckier and somehow land Kaliyev as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm really, really high on Kaliyev and if he dropped into the 2nd and we picked him it would literally be like winning the lottery. I'd honestly start getting very serious about trading up into the 20s if he isn't picked by then. I'd also be happy with Knight or Leason with our 2nd rounder. Originally I was hoping that we'd land Byram at around 4/5OA and that Leason would drop to us somehow, but now that we've won Hughes why not just hope we get even luckier and somehow land Kaliyev as well.

I have a difficult time Kaliyev dropping out of the teens, much less the first round. His offensive upside is just too high. It is my belief that Leason falling to #34 is a far more likely scenario.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I have a difficult time Kaliyev dropping out of the teens, much less the first round. His offensive upside is just too high. It is my belief that Leason falling to #34 is a far more likely scenario.

I certainly agree with this, but if he does fall he's the one player I'd really want to move up for (and be willing to give a lot up doing it). But like you said he probably goes in the teens and we don't really have what it takes to move up that high. If he's available at 24 or so when Nashville is set to pick I certainly hope we do whatever it takes to move up though.
The harder and more realistic potential scenario for me is who to pick if both Leason and Brink are available at 34. You can throw Knight in there as well. It's pretty certain that we'll have some great options at 34 which is why I wouldn't trade up unless it's for Kaliyev (as I honestly think he has more upside than Caufiled and he fits a major organizational need).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I certainly agree with this, but if he does fall he's the one player I'd really want to move up for (and be willing to give a lot up doing it). But like you said he probably goes in the teens and we don't really have what it takes to move up that high. If he's available at 24 or so when Nashville is set to pick I certainly hope we do whatever it takes to move up though.
The harder and more realistic potential scenario for me is who to pick if both Leason and Brink are available at 34. You can throw Knight in there as well. It's pretty certain that we'll have some great options at 34 which is why I wouldn't trade up unless it's for Kaliyev (as I honestly think he has more upside than Caufiled and he fits a major organizational need).

Every year, a high-quality player falls in the draft and leaves us wondering how it happened. Last year, consensus first-round picks Jared McIsaac, Bode Wilde and Akil Thomas fell to #35, #41 and #51. Hopefully a player the Devils really covet will fall to #34 this year.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Every year, a high-quality player falls in the draft and leaves us wondering how it happened. Last year, consensus first-round picks Jared McIsaac, Bode Wilde and Akil Thomas fell to #35, #41 and #51. Hopefully a player the Devils really covet will fall to #34 this year.
No doubt in my mind that one will fall to us at 34. What I'm hoping is that another falls to us at 55, or even the Bruins pick at 60ish. It's such a deep draft that it may just happen.

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

RW/C Marcel Barinka, Halifax, QMJHL
Buried on the depth chart of a stacked Mooseheads squad is a very intriguing late-round sleeper from the Czech Republic. Barinka is tall and lanky with room to fill out (6'0-165). His finest attributes are his skating, puck skills and hockey sense -- which are all very good. He needs to hit the weight room and get stronger, which will also serve to improve the power of his shot, which is lacking. His all-around game has improved quite a lot over the course of the season with the excellent coaching of the Halifax program.

Though Barinka did not produce much offensively this year, largely due to a bottom-6 role, he has impressed in tournament play. I feel that he could put up some big numbers next year if he sticks with Halifax. This is not a player I would consider in the second or third round, but he is a kid who could be available in the 6th/7th rounds and then really pay off down the line. The Devils need RWs to be certain, and Barinka's skating certainly fits into the Devils blueprint of speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

RW/C Marcel Barinka, Halifax, QMJHL
Buried on the depth chart of a stacked Mooseheads squad is a very intriguing late-round sleeper from the Czech Republic. Barinka is tall and lanky with room to fill out (6'0-165). His finest attributes are his skating, puck skills and hockey sense -- which are all very good. He needs to hit the weight room and get stronger, which will also serve to improve the power of his shot, which is lacking. His all-around game has improved quite a lot over the course of the season with the excellent coaching of the Halifax program.

Though Barinka did not produce much offensively this year, largely due to a bottom-6 role, he has impressed in tournament play. I feel that he could put up some big numbers next year if he sticks with Halifax. This is not a player I would consider in the second or third round, but he is a kid who could be available in the 6th/7th rounds and then really pay off down the line. The Devils need RWs to be certain, and Brink's skating certainly fits into the Devils blueprint of speed.

there’s no way brink is available in the 6th/7th round, you’re crazy :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad