Prospect Info: Devil-Centric Mock 3.0 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the day:

LW Nikolas Pasic, Linkoping, SWE JR.
Certainly a kid for Devils fans to keep an eye on, as he's an extremely quick-skating player with good skill who could be available in the 5th/6th/7th rounds. Ray Shero and Paul Castron have made a habit of drafting this type of player, and it has worked out for them in the past.

Pasic is average sized (5'10-180), but he does not shy away from physicality. He's a solid defensive player and always trying to support his teammates. Though his strongest asset is his skating, he is also very good at puck handling and features and excellent wrist shot and nice, accurate one-timer. If there's a weakness in Pasic's game it's that his vision is somewhat lacking -- he can have tunnel vision with the puck. Though he can lace a pass to an open teammate, he is not accomplished at finding line-mates through the seams or anticipating offensive plays. This leads me to believe that Pasic's upside is as a second/third line tweener with great speed and some scoring ability.

That being said, he is not a player I would target in the second or third rounds, but rather the bottom rounds. He's the type of player who can give a team energy, bursts of offense, and a jolt in the team speed department. Nikolas Pasic would be a very solid pick in the late rounds for these reasons.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Actually, the more I see of Seider, the more I believe he would be a great addition for the Devs. Unfortunately, we in all likelyhood would need to move up 10 or so spots. He looks really good at the worlds so far.

Yep, I've been quite high on him for quite some time. If I recollect correctly, so has @thethinglonger, who is the best on the Devils threads (myself included) at evaluating European prospects.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Yep, I've been quite high on him for quite some time. If I recollect correctly, so has @thethinglonger, who is the best on the Devils threads (myself included) at evaluating European prospects.

Thank you Steve for your incredibly kind words. I really really like Seider. He's my favorite player to watch in the draft outside of Hughes. His game revolves around his strength. It's really exciting to see Germany produce some high-end players/prospects like Leon Draisaitl and Dominik Bokk to Seider this year and Tim Stutzle for the 2020 draft.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Unfortunately, I can see Seider going higher than projected merely by the fact that he's a RHD. I think someone's going to reach for him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately, I can see Seider going higher than projected merely by the fact that he's a RHD. I think someone's going to reach for him.

I don't think Seider is a reach as early as #13 or so. People are talking about Soderstrom just outside the top 10, and I'm not convinced Soderstrom is a better RD prospect than Seider.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you Steve for your incredibly kind words. I really really like Seider. He's my favorite player to watch in the draft outside of Hughes. His game revolves around his strength. It's really exciting to see Germany produce some high-end players/prospects like Leon Draisaitl and Dominik Bokk to Seider this year and Tim Stutzle for the 2020 draft.

Oh, man -- 2020! I'm not even halfway done researching prospects for 2019!

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I would absolutely love Seider, as well. Unfortunately, most projections I’ve seen have him in the high teens. Due to the premium placed on RHD (supply and demand of this particular draft as well), I see him more likely to rise than fall. If he does slide, perhaps it’s due to the kid being German and not getting as much exposure to scouts as traditional hockey hotbeds? That may be the only way it happens and I still feel that’s highly unlikely. In the event he does inexplicably fall, I will say it once again....if Seider is available around pick 25, I really would like to see Shero explore a trade-up from 34....perhaps utilizing one of the two extra second rounds picks and a B level prospect to do it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would absolutely love Seider, as well. Unfortunately, most projections I’ve seen have him in the high teens. Due to the premium placed on RHD (supply and demand of this particular draft as well), I see him more likely to rise than fall. If he does slide, perhaps it’s due to the kid being German and not getting as much exposure to scouts as traditional hockey hotbeds? That may be the only way it happens and I still feel that’s highly unlikely. In the event he does inexplicably fall, I will say it once again....if Seider is available around pick 25, I really would like to see Shero explore a trade-up from 34....perhaps utilizing one of the two extra second rounds picks and a B level prospect to do it.

I love the idea, I just can't see it. Seider is more likely to go before pick #15 than after pick #25, in my estimation. Stranger things have certainly happened, but 6'4 defensemen who skate extremely well and play very well in both the offensive and defensive zones are pretty rare. Add in that Seider is willing to engage physically and a right-shot and you have a very enticing draft opportunity.

When ranking RDs in the 2019 draft, Seider is neck and neck with Victor Soderstrom for the top slot, and one of only three RD with a chance to be selected in the first round (Lassi Thomson). If he continues to impress the way he has so far in the WHC, Seider will be a threat to go as early as #11 overall (Philadelphia) or #13 (Florida).

As high as I am on Seider, certainly at least a few NHL scouts are in accordance with me. I unfortunately do not see a way for the Devils to get him, unless they make a draft-day deal, perhaps to get a late first-round pick (Boston? Tampa?) by weaponizing their cap room to acquire an unwanted big salary (Backes/Callahan). They would then still likely have to package that first rounder with one of their second-round picks to move up high enough to get Seider.

Reactions: longislanddevil

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey I've been high on him too :( lol

Sorry -- don't forget @dk3790 -- another amazing asset for the Devils prospect boards!

I'd actually like to take this opportunity to give accolades to all of you guys on the Devils prospect boards -- the dialogue on these threads are always a lot of fun, even when we disagree with each other. Some of the main boards are populated by several mean-spirited and ignorant people. But the Devils boards are always a fun place for hockey dialogue and for expressing my ideas on drafts and prospects without worrying that someone will insult my mother because I ranked Alex Turcotte over Vasili Podkolzin.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sleeper Prospect of the Day:

LD Michael Koster, Chaska HS, USHS-MN
Looking for the potential "Jeremy Davies" of the 2019 draft. Look no further. And, by Jeremy Davies of the draft, I'm referring to a kid who will be available in the bottom (5th/6th/7th) rounds, will get to develop at a major NCAA program, and possesses big-time upside as a top-4 NHL defenseman capable of legit offensive production.

Koster is undersized at 5'10-180, and is not physical -- these are the downsides to selecting him. But these are the only downsides. Koster is an excellent skater with tremendous puck skills. He is capable of dynamic rushes against his competition which, it needs to be stated, is not nearly on his level. The bigger test for him will come in the NCAA, when he will not find it so easy to beat opposing players one-on-one (much less one-on-three), and he will be forced to rely more on his passing vision. Koster's vision has shown inconsistent flashes of being high-caliber, but again he relies a lot at his current level on an ability to beat players with his skating and puck skills. For his size, he is a very good shooter, but what I like about him is that he is what I like to call an "arrogant shooter", which is to say that he has so much confidence on his ability to get pucks through from the point that he unleashes this weapon whenever possible. For a small defender, Koster is very smart and solid defensively -- positionally sound with good gap control. Needless to say, at his current level he is a breakout machine -- give him a millimeter and he's out of his own zone and on the attack. It will be interesting to see how this translates on the NCAA level, playing against men. Again, his lack of physicality is a concern for this very reason -- but if he can bulk up a bit in the weight room and get in the habit of engaging more, we are certainly looking at the potential of a late-round steal.

Michael Koster is certainly a name for Devils fans to know on draft day. Ray Shero and Paul Castron clearly like this type of player. And, while "offensive-minded, undersized LD" is far from the top of the Devils organizational needs, it would be difficult for them to pass on the type of player they clearly covet in the 6th and 7th rounds, especially when -- like Michael Koster -- their upside is so significant.

Reactions: My3Sons

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I would just like to say that Kakko is doing right now what Peter forsberg did for sweden 2-3 years after HES draft(and in that era) who knows how high kakkos celing are, he developed so much during the season, scored I think 21 goals in hes last 29 games in liiga(playoff counted) , during the play off it was basicly Kakko vs HPK(the team that later won the whole thing) Then Kakko joined mens national team for 7 friendly games where he looked kind of like barkov did in hes draft year, great but a bit invisable at times. And look at him now? He keeps developing! hes team mates has told so aswell. Hes better then when he joined the team couple of weeks ago. Hes team mates back in tps says hes lanky/skiny, still got alot of room to grow. Work on explosivenes etc, IF njd wont pick him. Wich most of njd fans are are 100% sure they wont.. I gotta say rangers won the lottery this year. Shero might even lean more towards hughes for The reason he is american, family friend and also the fact Taylor hall and Hughes know eachother. Other then that I dont really see the reason why kakko would not be in the discussion. I see people write here that Kakko is at hes celing right now.. And haha I gotta say its supernatural to even claim that. Barkov for example was helluva manchild and he has developed to the date, So just stop that talk. No one could really know! One Day Kakko could be the best player in the World for all we know. I also see people asking who would center the 2nd line if njd dont draft hughes, well Kaapo kakko has played center aswell and it can all be thought got damn it. He actually played I think 5 games in Liiga and got like 4+1 had solid performance overall and he Played more center in juniors. Kakko has been more outstanding in these first three wc games against nhl packed teams then any 18 year old has ever been. And he is not doing it while getting help from nhl Stars like Laine did. Kakko is the star.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I would just like to say that Kakko is doing right now what Peter forsberg did for sweden 2-3 years after HES draft(and in that era) who knows how high kakkos celing are, he developed so much during the season, scored I think 21 goals in hes last 29 games in liiga(playoff counted) , during the play off it was basicly Kakko vs HPK(the team that later won the whole thing) Then Kakko joined mens national team for 7 friendly games where he looked kind of like barkov did in hes draft year, great but a bit invisable at times. And look at him now? He keeps developing! hes team mates has told so aswell. Hes better then when he joined the team couple of weeks ago. Hes team mates back in tps says hes lanky/skiny, still got alot of room to grow. Work on explosivenes etc, IF njd wont pick him. Wich most of njd fans are are 100% sure they wont.. I gotta say rangers won the lottery this year. Shero might even lean more towards hughes for The reason he is american, family friend and also the fact Taylor hall and Hughes know eachother. Other then that I dont really see the reason why kakko would not be in the discussion. I see people write here that Kakko is at hes celing right now.. And haha I gotta say its supernatural to even claim that. Barkov for example was helluva manchild and he has developed to the date, So just stop that talk. No one could really know! One Day Kakko could be the best player in the World for all we know. I also see people asking who would center the 2nd line if njd dont draft hughes, well Kaapo kakko has played center aswell and it can all be thought got damn it. He actually played I think 5 games in Liiga and got like 4+1 had solid performance overall and he Played more center in juniors. Kakko has been more outstanding in these first three wc games against nhl packed teams then any 18 year old has ever been. And he is not doing it while getting help from nhl Stars like Laine. Kakko is the star.
no one's saying kakko is bad

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I would just like to say that Kakko is doing right now what Peter forsberg did for sweden 2-3 years after HES draft(and in that era) who knows how high kakkos celing are, he developed so much during the season, scored I think 21 goals in hes last 29 games in liiga(playoff counted) , during the play off it was basicly Kakko vs HPK(the team that later won the whole thing) Then Kakko joined mens national team for 7 friendly games where he looked kind of like barkov did in hes draft year, great but a bit invisable at times. And look at him now? He keeps developing! hes team mates has told so aswell. Hes better then when he joined the team couple of weeks ago. Hes team mates back in tps says hes lanky/skiny, still got alot of room to grow. Work on explosivenes etc, IF njd wont pick him. Wich most of njd fans are are 100% sure they wont.. I gotta say rangers won the lottery this year. Shero might even lean more towards hughes for The reason he is american, family friend and also the fact Taylor hall and Hughes know eachother. Other then that I dont really see the reason why kakko would not be in the discussion. I see people write here that Kakko is at hes celing right now.. And haha I gotta say its supernatural to even claim that. Barkov for example was helluva manchild and he has developed to the date, So just stop that talk. No one could really know! One Day Kakko could be the best player in the World for all we know. I also see people asking who would center the 2nd line if njd dont draft hughes, well Kaapo kakko has played center aswell and it can all be thought got damn it. He actually played I think 5 games in Liiga and got like 4+1 had solid performance overall and he Played more center in juniors. Kakko has been more outstanding in these first three wc games against nhl packed teams then any 18 year old has ever been. And he is not doing it while getting help from nhl Stars like Laine did. Kakko is the star.

You bring up Forsberg, who people usually compare to Lindros since the two were traded for one another, and Lindros was drafted first overall.
Lindros was easily the superior player and was probably the best player in hockey for a couple of years. His career was cut short by injuries, something you can’t predict. But besides Jagr in his prime, Lindros is the player that struck fear into you as an opposing fan every time he touched the puck, at least since I started watching the sport.

You also bring up Barkov. His production for his first two years was nothing special for someone drafted 2 overall in a top heavy draft. Nico’s numbers for his first two years are actually much better than Barkov’s.

The bottom line is that if you all the sudden are saying Kakko is the better player than Hughes, you can’t say that it isn’t recency bias no matter how much you deny it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
You bring up Forsberg, who people usually compare to Lindros since the two were traded for one another, and Lindros was drafted first overall.
Lindros was easily the superior player and was probably the best player in hockey for a couple of years. His career was cut short by injuries, something you can’t predict. But besides Jagr in his prime, Lindros is the player that struck fear into you as an opposing fan every time he touched the puck, at least since I started watching the sport.

You also bring up Barkov. His production for his first two years was nothing special for someone drafted 2 overall in a top heavy draft. Nico’s numbers for his first two years are actually much better than Barkov’s.

The bottom line is that if you all the sudden are saying Kakko is the better player than Hughes, you can’t say that it isn’t recency bias no matter how much you deny it.

Only reason i brought up barkov is that some people here say Kakko is as good as he will become, and I just pointed out barkov was a manchild and still he has developed up till today. 6 years in the nhl and still he has developed. Kakko is much more dominant then barkov was hes draft season.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Only reason i brought up barkov is that some people here say Kakko is as good as he will become, and I just pointed out barkov was a manchild and still he has developed up till today. 6 years in the nhl and still he has developed. Kakko is much more dominant then barkov was hes draft season.

They're both great prospects, but Kakko doing insane things doesn't discredit Hughes' insane season and body of work.
The main reason Hughes is ranked higher is that he has more upside. For example, if you tell me Kakko becomes another Barkov or Laine or Aho I'd still take Hughes over him due to his upside. Just looking at younger players in the league I think Hughes is quite similar to Barzal, but with a much better toolbox. Considering how successful Barzal has been it's easy to see why a kid, who is in my opinion far more dynamic than Barzal, would be a slam dunk 1OA pick.

For the record, I'd take Barkov or Aho over Barzal. I just think Barzal is a good comp to Hughes and personally, I think Jack's floor is basically Barzal. I cannot see how his game won't translate at least as well as Barzal's which is why all this "he doesn't play against men" criticism is utter nonsense.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
They're both great prospects, but Kakko doing insane things doesn't discredit Hughes' insane season and body of work.
The main reason Hughes is ranked higher is that he has more upside. For example, if you tell me Kakko becomes another Barkov or Laine or Aho I'd still take Hughes over him due to his upside. Just looking at younger players in the league I think Hughes is quite similar to Barzal, but with a much better toolbox. Considering how successful Barzal has been it's easy to see why a kid, who is in my opinion far more dynamic than Barzal, would be a slam dunk 1OA pick.

For the record, I'd take Barkov or Aho over Barzal. I just think Barzal is a good comp to Hughes and personally, I think Jack's floor is basically Barzal. I cannot see how his game won't translate at least as well as Barzal's which is why all this "he doesn't play against men" criticism is utter nonsense.

I see your point and yes I think Hughes will be one hell of a player, but like kakko plays right now in wc? Lets say thats hes floor? Wich I dont even in my worst thought of mind would still be a pretty good floor? I mean look at him?! I havent seen a player at 18 doing what he does at WC level like ever. And who is to say Hughes ciling is highes just because he havent developed physicly? Hughes will never be a physical player, like aho he will have to play with hes smarts and quickness only. Kakko can still develope quickness and strenth easily. And he has still exceeded at every level he has ever played in, keep getting better and better weeks after weeks, No one can predict the celing of these two really. Just guess, but its never more then that.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I see your point and yes I think Hughes will be one hell of a player, but like kakko plays right now in wc? Lets say thats hes floor? Wich I dont even in my worst thought of mind would still be a pretty good floor? I mean look at him?! I havent seen a player at 18 doing what he does at WC level like ever. And who is to say Hughes ciling is highes just because he havent developed physicly? Hughes will never be a physical player, like aho he will have to play with hes smarts and quickness only. Kakko can still develope quickness and strenth easily. And he has still exceeded at every level he has ever played in, keep getting better and better weeks after weeks, No one can predict the celing of these two really. Just guess, but its never more then that.

I mean sure, we can't project ceilings. And in that case why even use Forsberg for Kakko when we could use Ovi (who is clearly in a tier above Forsberg), but I just don't see much of a chance that Kakko is the next Ovi. It's all just preference and opinion, but I think Hughes floor is much higher than you're giving him credit for and I think he has a better chance of becoming a top 5 player in the league than Kakko.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I mean sure, we can't project ceilings. And in that case why even use Forsberg for Kakko when we could use Ovi (who is clearly in a tier above Forsberg), but I just don't see much of a chance that Kakko is the next Ovi. It's all just preference and opinion, but I think Hughes floor is much higher than you're giving him credit for and I think he has a better chance of becoming a top 5 player in the league than Kakko.

You might be right who knows, I just hope that the fans of njd will accept kakko if they pick him, I guess its verry verry little chanse of that happening. But the worst scenario for a young player would be to have to play for fans that just dont accept him. The preassure on kakko if he got drafted #1 would be to heavy with this years of building up hughes at #1. I really dont think njd will pick him and everything will be fine.. But what if? Would you guys accept it? Just saying, these two prospects are amazing players in their own way and if I cheered for njd I would be happy with eighter one of them. Luckily I dont even cheer for a specific nhl team xD

Oh to answer the Peter forsberg being a tier below ovi is rubish. Forsberg in hes prime was better, in my opinion

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
You might be right who knows, I just hope that the fans of njd will accept kakko if they pick him, I guess its verry verry little chanse of that happening. But the worst scenario for a young player would be to have to play for fans that just dont accept him. The preassure on kakko if he got drafted #1 would be to heavy with this years of building up hughes at #1. I really dont think njd will pick him and everything will be fine.. But what if? Would you guys accept it? Just saying, these two prospects are amazing players in their own way and if I cheered for njd I would be happy with eighter one of them. Luckily I dont even cheer for a specific nhl team xD

Oh to answer the Peter forsberg being a tier below ovi is rubish. Forsberg in hes prime was better, in my opinion
if kakko goes first, people would be mad and i'm pretty sure a lot of reporters and scouts would be confused, but we'd all support him in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad