GDT: Development Camp Scrimmage

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It’s the most important trait in the game for gods sake. It’s how you move from A to B.

Your other attributes have to be at such a higher level to make up for a shit skater. He can be as fancy as he wants but if opposing players can always catch him, or beat him to picks he’s behind the race before it even began.

Caught a little bit was impressed most by Andrae. The others were pretty meh. Dare I say he looks better than York who was always Mr Vanilla to me?
Vanilla on D is good at times. I know two guys who at times got considered vanilla that were top guys.... Rico and Kimmo.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd rather watch Andrae then Staal, but they are putting a lot of their eggs in that basket. I'm sure the new transfer agreement has something to do with him suddenly being NHL ready.

This nonsense about his top end speed has always followed him.
Maybe it was because I was at ice level and everything always looks quicker and faster, but I thought his stride looked less herky jerky and off balance than it used to.

Nobody mentioned Grans. Did he play or just invisible?
He played. Nothing notable.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I live down the street so decided to go. The Mouthbreather capital of the world. :laugh:

Pretty disappointing most of the newest draft class didn't play.

Not going to take much from 30 minutes of 5v5 with a running clock, but besides the obvious standouts in Brink and Forester, I thought McLaughlin was pretty noticeable. Really slippery skater. Bump showed up when they went to 4v4 and 3v3. Desnoyers had his moments too.

I'm still amazed that Adam Ginning, a 7 year pro? and supposedly on the verge of the NHL, can't stand out positively in a setting like this. He did put Murchison in a headlock in the corner which resulted in Murchison chasing him halfway down the ice and slashing him back in the ankle. That was about as intense as it got.

I was at the other end of the ice so was hoping to get a better look at Bonk. They seemed to be defending most of the time when he was on the ice. Looked like he got beat wide a couple times off the rush but that could have been the angle I had. Maybe a couple nice plays with the puck.

Always had a soft spot for Sam Sedley. Doesn't seem like their type but maybe an overage follow next season.

Forgot Zmolek was the only free agent they signed last year. Not sure what they saw there.

McDonald is big and looks like a good straight line skater, but not sure the puck skills are there.
I watched this on replay, and thought mostly, well, when there's no body contact, it just a All Star game type scrimmage. So it's immediately not realistic at all, for any player, both those who would prefer to play the body, and those who rely on slipping past it.

So for Ginning? He can easily say whatever to this type of contest, as it's no measurement of any true worth of his ability, and can then lay back or try to fancy it up as he chooses, neither of which measures his true worth.

McLaughlin was very noticeable, well above his accepted prospect pedigree. And also in a position where a scrimmage of this type allows players at his position to demonstrate ability.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
All we need is just a normal human being as a coach, someone who can nurture them and talk to them. and every single prospect who is even close to NHL readiness could play significant time this season. There is literally nothing to be won by winning games. And before we hear about "those passionate fans that need something to hang onto," it's dead simple to sell to them the idea of coming out to see our young kids getting their first taste of NHL action. Dead f***ing simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad