Prospect Info: Development Camp July 7-12 - Washington Capitals

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Any opinions on Urbas? Anybody see him getting a spot in Hershey this season? If so does he appear to be a full time player or echl tweeter?

Liked what I saw in the Olympics.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting given his statement about it essentially being a requirement to skate well.

I wonder how much that skating can be coached up.

If its anything like Wilson, I wouldn't put it past him.

When Wilson first got his call up I questioned how someone so slow and poor at skating could get drafted. Next season he looked phenomenal comparatively.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Any opinions on Urbas? Anybody see him getting a spot in Hershey this season? If so does he appear to be a full time player or echl tweeter?

Liked what I saw in the Olympics.

He was noticeably slower than Burka and Vrana however he was very smart on the ice. Made a lot of good plays that led to things happening for his line mates.

I don't think he would have any problem playing in the AHL.

Liberati0n*

I always think the Gormley complaints are a little overblown, but the Cajkovsky interview is really hilarious

"What's your family background?"
"Slovakia"
"And where are you from?"
"Slovakia"
"Where did you grow up?
"Slovakia"

And then he refers back to Cajkovksy's decision to leave "Czech Republic" :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I always think the Gormley complaints are a little overblown, but the Cajkovsky interview is really hilarious

"What's your family background?"
"Slovakia"
"And where are you from?"
"Slovakia"
"Where did you grow up?
"Slovakia"

And then he refers back to Cajkovksy's decision to leave "Czech Republic" :laugh:

Gormley reminds me of the really awkward kid from the sports journalism school in his college that does the player interviews for the school website.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
The higher end guys were the most impressive to me yesterday. Burakovsky and Vrana played great, but that line at times had problems with positioning, especially in the neutral zone. They bunched up a bit much, but it was their first time playing together, so it's understandable. Burakovsy didn't look overly lost playing center, and I always thought he played a good 200 foot game, so it could be a fit if they try to develop him there in Hershey this year. His first goal was a great display of sick hands.

The first scrimmage, especially the first period of it, is usually not as good hockey as the following two. Lots of guys (including some of the brighter prospects) were guilty of holding the puck too long. Boyd, Barber, Burakovsky, Vrana (what a shootout goal), and Basara stood out to me. Boyd was a puck hound and showed some hands. He was also guilty of trying to do too much at times, but usually was able to recover. Barber played smart and scored a goal in tight because of his ability to read the play. He also had multiple cycles that were the product of the play going through him. Vrana showed his speed on the forecheck, a willingness to backcheck and great hands. Basara was all over the place and was noticeable in a good way every shift.

I left after the second, but a couple quick notes:

I didn't think Walker was the best skater, and doesn't seem to have high-end speed. I will compliment his shot though, probably one of the best shots and compared to some of the others out there, it looked like a pro-level shot. Vanecek gave up a big time softy, and looked fairly tentative in net.

Chupacabra08

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2004
Friday scrimmage is on. I'm only here for the 1st period. Red up 1-0 early on a goal by Schuldt. He was third man on a 3 on 2. Burakovsky and Vrana were on the ice. Not sure who made the pass but it was pretty nice.

Chupacabra08

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2004
Vrana goal on a ridiculous top shelf, short side shot off the left wing. Lots of oohs and ahs on that one. Red up 2-0.

Chupacabra08

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2004
Stephenson scores for white. Now 2-1 red. Bang bang play on the doorstep to the goalies right.

Chupacabra08

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2004
Line updates for red compared to yesterday - O'Brien playing with Bura and Vrana. Pimm playing with Sanford and Saar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad