Prospect Info: Development Camp July 7-12 - Washington Capitals

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Apologies, sk8. I even looked at your lineup post before posting, but guess I had some mental block preventing me from seeing Wuthrich/DiPauli.

No problem, just amused because I made a point of mentioning both of them when they arrived, as well as in the line-up post, and wasn't sure what I posted that had warranted being blocked. All is good :)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
@Brian I would say yes camp favors the elite offensive guys.

There was almost no hitting, likely a coach request which hurts anyone that hits. Usually dmen. It's hard to get noticed as a dman if you are not scoring goals or breaking up 2 on 1s.

I forget to really look conclusively but think we were in man.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Some overall impressions from the scrimmage:

Red

Burakovsky is the best player at camp. Great skater, great hands, lethal shot, and works hard on the forecheck and backcheck (he has an excellent lift check). It's eerie how similar some aspects of his game are to Semin (particularly the skating stride).

Vrana plays a similar style to Burakovsky, but didn't dictate and drive play as much (which isn't surprising given their respective ages). The shot is every bit of NHL caliber.

I mentioned it a bit before, but Cajkovsky-Djoos was easily the best defensive pairing (and should probably be switched over to White for tomorrow). They both skate and move the puck pretty well and didn't get caught chasing the play like many of the other D at camp. You can tell these two have experience playing against men. Djoos looks much bigger than his listed 159.

Boyd was all over the ice making plays. He's not big, doesn't blow you away with his speed, and doesn't strike you as a player oozing skill, but he just seems to find the right spots to be. The puck follows him.

Sanford is a bit of a counterpoint to Boyd. He's very big, and shows some exciting skill at times, but isn't as consistently involved. Made a few nice plays here and there, but was largely a passenger (though an effective one today, as all of Red's players were). There's definitely an NHL skill set in there somewhere. Let's hope the BC staff decides to develop him at center.

White
Chandler Stephenson might be the most NHL ready prospect on the system outside of Burakovsky. Finishes his checks, protects the puck well, and has very good hockey sense. I'll be highly disappointed if the Hershey staff doesn't stick with the center switch.

Outside of his beauty of an assist (which I thought was the play of the game), Barber didn't do much. I'm sure Team Red's puck dominance didn't help matters.

Walker's a terrier. Tenacious and relentless on the forecheck. He's also got a decent set of feet, hands not made of stone, and reads the play well. I think he's a pretty safe bet to be a bottom-sixer in the NHL, and would expect him to get an injury call-up this season.

Gersich continued to impress me. He's got elite skating (probably the best in camp) and a nice set of hands. He needs to be a bit stronger with his decision making on the puck, but the kid turned 18 yesterday. Initial returns are this was a terrific value in the 5th round. Similar to Sanford, let's hope the UND staff develops him at center.

Bowey's very smooth in his movement and his calm demeanor doesn't really change on the ice. He's very reminiscent to Carlson in those regards. Played a safe game--didn't step up or pinch often, so it was hard to him to look impactful. Most impressive individual play was a smooth back-skate and pivot that forced Burakovsky in full flight (who's an NHL-level explosive skater) wide and to the end boards.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Damn fine write up! Thanks much NBTW. I think I agree with all you wrote.

I am good for tidbits of observations and vids, that's about it!

Burakovsky95*

I'm actually really excited about Gersich. The guy was behind Eichel and Larkin all year and Mahoney seems to think he has a ton of room to grow offensively.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Thanks, NBTW. Was going to go but decided to play some pick up at Mt Vernon today instead. Nice to hear Bura's success in Erie is continuing D Camp. I certainly won't complain about a LH Semin, if that's what he turns out to be.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ok I got the scoop - so apparently 3 Gormley questions were edited out of the interview with Mike by his handlers. Questions 4 - 6.

4. So, what is your favorite country?
5. In which country would you likely find your favorite food?
6. Name one country that borders the Czech Republic

:sarcasm:

It shouldn't be painful to listen to interviews of players you are interested in, but somehow it is.

Joking aside, the big Caje continues to impress me. Sure he has more experience than the rest, but being a part of our best pairing in dcamp is worth something, if only to me. Agreed I want to see that pair up against Bura tomorrow.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Nice write-up. Noted a lot of this with the people I was watching with, so definitely agree with much of what you wrote, including on Stephenson and Barber. Again, as I noted, Herbert was missing from white and the lines were a bit more jumbled, as well.

I've mentioned this to people, but my assumption is the Djoos numbers, if ever accurate, are two years old or older, remember he didn't come to camp last summer reportedly due to a knee injury.

Agree about Boyd, he got into the play early, gained some confidence and was noticeable all game. In terms of Sanford vs Boyd, Boyd is only a year older than Sanford, but has a lot more experience in terms of the level of hockey he has played. Boyd will be 21yo in September and is entering his senior season at Minnesota. Sanford turns 20yo in November but will be playing his freshman season at Boston College. As a bigger forward, I have hope that Sanford will put the pieces together and show more consistency as he gains experience; playing at BC is a good thing in terms of the future and his development.

Walker, not ready to promote him as much as you are, but fun to watch him play because the terrier description is appropriate. DiPauli is another one who is noticeable in that regard, always working, solid defensively.

Took some amateur (and unedited) pics this week; too lazy to clean them up quickly, but since I haven't seen many photos, here you go:

http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/sk84fundcva/slideshow/Scrimmage2Fri

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I swear to god you guys are better than anybody in the media covering sports. It's literally the best sports coverage on the planet and it's a credit to you guy's passion for the game. It's why I've been lurking around here for ages.

Thanks guys...

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Great game so far.

Barber just setup a goal to make it 4-3 white heading into the third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad