Development Camp July 6-10: Now with Ice!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The team distribution is interesting too. It's definitely not random. Unless they plan a scrimmage for Thurs then they'll only be against each other. The two best forwards with the three best D outside of Bigras. Bet there are going to be a lot of battles on that team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Maheux is a solid player in the Q. I don't think he is a legit NHL prospect, but there is a lot to like for a AHL sort of player. He is a pretty solid player in all areas, but doesn't have a standout skill that projects to the NHL. Good, but not great skater. Plays a smart, safe game. Good first pass. He is pretty much Quebec's #1. If the Avs were looking for a kid to play in the AHL for a while, but not waste a pick on, he is a good player to keep track of and try to sign next spring.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'll try to stop by for some time tomorrow. I wish I could see Team Grey play, but that's too early for a "lunch break", so probably later for Team Burgandy. I may go Thursday, depending on what the schedule is then.

I would think Thursday would be some sort of scrimmage type thing, but who knows.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The team distribution is interesting too. It's definitely not random. Unless they plan a scrimmage for Thurs then they'll only be against each other. The two best forwards with the three best D outside of Bigras. Bet there are going to be a lot of battles on that team.

well that makes a lot more sense than team white playing a scrimmage with just 2 forwards :laugh:

So Bleacks and Rantanen, our two most dynamic forwards, get to go with all of the best dmen; except for Bigras. Who gets matched up with 2 forwards (Greer and Magyar) who should really give him a good test on his physical development with their power based games, and a smart/speedy guy with a decent frame of his own. This group will also be a good test to see where Beaudin/Greer could slot in, as they'll be going against a euro with pro experience and our top prospect on D.

The the third team seems to be more of a simple "lets see what we've really got in these kids" grouping unlike how the first two are pretty clearly designed to test our top prospects (Bigras/Rantanen/Bleackley) specifically. Compher, Martinsen and Nantel are all very interesting; Pepin is a walking, talking question mark filled with potential; and this should be a nice way to get a better sense for what they've got in Boikov.

Also love seeing Meloche getting thrown into the fire with the most dynamic forwards and the dmen he will likely be playing with in the AHL after he finishes his junior career...and whom he'll be competing against in 2+ years to be next in line after Bigras/Siemens have been integrated into the Avs lineup or washed out/gotten passed by.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You guys are reading too much into the team rosters and players invited.

If these are anything like past late-2000 camps it's almost 100% individual drills and pretty ho-hum. Just a chance for coaches to see what they've got in person. Think of it more like the scouting combine with drills rather than a preseason scrimmage full of action.

The highlight of my last camp was watching a face off drill between ROR and Duchene and watching slap shot drills by the defenseman. I mean it was cool but if you're expecting to see three periods of 5 on 5 rookie hockey you're going to be disappointed.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You think these groups were chosen randomly? I don't think it's that far out to speculate on why they were put together this way. It doesn't MEAN anything but interesting to me at least.

I spent 100000 hours watching these guys on my iPad, it will be nice to see them in person.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Reading some great quotes on twitter about Kyle Wood. One person saying he has great puck skill and another saying his skating has improved a lot since last year.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think they're doing anything more than goaltender drills right now to warm them up, so not sure what to take from it.

I think I'll stop by to see Bigras, Greer, and Team Burgandy later. It's probably just a lot of drills, so I won't take much from it, but it's hockey in July, so I'll take that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah Wood is a lot better, great to see. Bleackley sniping a few too. Rantanen's shot is pretty good. Those three were the best shooters in the goalie warm up.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
TV, if you could report back on what the format is for each group, that would be great. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to head down there for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad