Development Camp July 6-10: Now with Ice!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

May as well start this thread as our prospects are starting to arrive in Denver today. Hopefully the Avs give us details on the roster and schedule tomorrow. In the meantime we can piece together what we do know. The camp will run from July 6-10 and will include for the first time an exciting on ice portion on the 7th and 8th! What exactly this entails we will soon find out.

Team Grey:

Mikko Rantanen, F
Nicolas Meloche, D
Mason Geertsen, D
Kyle Wood, D
Conner Bleackley, F
Anton Lindholm, D
Maximilian Pajpach, G

Team Blue:

Andreas Martinsen, F
Alexis Pepin, F
Julien Nantel, F
Sergei Boikov, D
J.T. Compher, F
Rafael Maheux, D (invite)
Spencer Martin, G

Team Burgundy:

Chris Bigras, D
AJ Greer, F
JC Beaudin, F
Nick Magyar, F
Ben Storm, D
Wilhelm Westlund, D
Justin Hamonic, D (invite)
Roman Will, G

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How old is too old for development camp? Is it pretty much just the last two draft classes?

I guess per the CBA anyone on an ELC but hasn't played 70 NHL games or 120 total or attended 3 development camps for any one team could be asked to attend. I don't think they go that extreme though, it seemed like last year was just for anyone who hadn't played 1 year of pro (AHL or NHL).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
open to public or not?

It USED to be....last year was whenever they drafted Barrie

The 7th and 8th is open to the public.

Ah, I don't recall that. Do you remember anything about it?

Who are the invitees? Undrafted players who could possibly be signed?

Yes exactly, we had a few of them last year. Chambers' favorite Landon Smith was one.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I used to go to them - it was just drills with coaches for the most part.

There's some bleachers there where you sit and watch them. I never stuck around to try and interact with the players - I don't believe it's possible to do so.

The times I went the invite list was also small - maybe 10 players on the ice.

It's probably WAY WAY back in the thread count, but we used to give scouting reports on the camps and what we saw. I'd imagine someone will be so kind enough to do that for us again this year :)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It would be nice if the Avs released a roster or perhaps a more detailed schedule. I'd like to stop by for a bit tomorrow but would like to know what they're doing before I stop by.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
From Frei's latest blog posting

The Avalanche will provide a full roster of camp participants this afternoon.

The on-ice sessions will be at Family Sports on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Wednesday for sure, the on-ice time will run from 8 to 12:45, with the attendees divided into three groups and each on the ice for about an hour. Goaltenders first will do individual work at 8. Media availabilities will follow at 12:45 those two days. There will be on-ice time Thursday as well, but all will be on the run so there is no scheduled availability that day.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Team White is stacked!

Team White does have more of the "sexy names", but I think Team Blue looks good as well.

Martinsen will probably look real good amongst the others, given his age, but it'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the NA ice. Team Blue also has Martin, Compher, Nantel, and Pepin.

The obvious standouts to Team Burgundy is Bigras, and possibly Magyar. Will be interesting to see how Greer does as well.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The biggest thing I take away from the rosters is the lack of players like Hishon, Siemens, Girgorenko etc. They are still young guys with little NHL experience. To me this means that Roy expects these guys to be competing for roster spots, not hanging with prospects.

I think Grigorenko is a lock for the roster, and fully expect Hishon and Siemens to push for a spot this year. There is absolutely no reason why Siemens can't beat out Holden or Guenin or Redmond at this point. And if the Avs are just playing one of the other guys due to contracts that's bogus we should be fielding the best possible team, not players who have 1-way contracts. Siemens is much more skilled than Redmond, Holden and Guenin. It's time for him to step up.

As for the actual rosters White does look stacked with Rantanen, Meloche, Geertsen, Wood and Bleackley. But Blue has some interesting names like MArtin, Nantel, Compher and Martinsen. Burgundy is kinda a train wreck outside of Bigras

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know nothing about Maheux and Harmonic. Undrafted guys.

Hamonic, is a dman, has been the captain of Tri-City in the WHL the past 2 seasons, is 21, big guy 6'4", has very little offensive skills best season is 19pts, but supposedly he is a good shutdown guy.

Don't know much about Maheux other than he is a defensemen for the Quebec Ramparts in the QMJHL. He is 6'1", and 19 years old. Seems to have put together a decent season last year with 26 pts, and 9 more in the playoffs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, I looked them up on hockeydb and eliteprospects too. :D

It is kind of too bad we already have so many defensemen signed. If one or both of these guys impressed, I would surely prefer them in our organization over Corbett, Beaupre, or even Clark who has filed for arbitration.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The biggest thing I take away from the rosters is the lack of players like Hishon, Siemens, Girgorenko etc. They are still young guys with little NHL experience. To me this means that Roy expects these guys to be competing for roster spots, not hanging with prospects.

I think Grigorenko is a lock for the roster, and fully expect Hishon and Siemens to push for a spot this year. There is absolutely no reason why Siemens can't beat out Holden or Guenin or Redmond at this point. And if the Avs are just playing one of the other guys due to contracts that's bogus we should be fielding the best possible team, not players who have 1-way contracts. Siemens is much more skilled than Redmond, Holden and Guenin. It's time for him to step up.

As for the actual rosters White does look stacked with Rantanen, Meloche, Geertsen, Wood and Bleackley. But Blue has some interesting names like MArtin, Nantel, Compher and Martinsen. Burgundy is kinda a train wreck outside of Bigras

If they decide to be patient with Zads before throwing him into the fire and so Holden has to play with Barrie; then there is absolutely a reason why Siemens wouldn't be able to beat him out for that spot. I'm rooting for Dunk and have spent a lot of time defending him on here, but let's see him beast as the top pairing lefty for our AHL team before we start saying that there's no reason he shouldn't be ready for a top 4 gig. Now if Zads thrives and Roy is willing to take the lumps with him in the top 4, right off of the bat; then the question becomes "does it make more sense to bring in another kid, who's likely to have to work through many rookie mistakes of his own, when we need to make a strong start to the season?" and that's a tough decision.

Guenin should never play in the NHL again, but Holden is adequate on the third pairing while having been good enough for Barrie to drag him along on the 2nd pairing before, and that was with a much worst first and third pairing. Plus Holden isn't someone with potential we're trying to develop, so him ****ing up next to barrie and losing confidence doesn't hurt us as much as if that happens to Zads or one of the prospects.

Anyway, I'm curious how team Burgundy does with Bigras leading the way, each of these groups have interesting players, but biegs should be pretty dominant against these kids while we should see his strength get tested with the likes of Biffkaka and Rantanen on the other teams; and Greer / Beaudin / Magyar are guys I don't expect too much from, but have interesting tools as possible cheap bottom 6ers for us, and in the case of Greer maybe even more.

Biffkaka, Nantel and Compher should be an interesting trio. Martinsen is another one who should look great here with his age and developed physical game; while I'm very excited by Compher (kid seems to have beloved-thirdliner/PKer written all over him); and Nantel had a great season, so it would be nice to see him carry that over to a great summer. Not expecting much from their dmen but that forward trio has three interesting prospects on it to test the top kids on team White and Bigras' Burgundy Boys.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Finally!

Yeah team white is definitely the one to go see.

My plan is to go Tues/Wed. I need more than TBD to go Thurs so we'll see by then.

I'll update the OP when I'm not on my phone.

Those guys have pro experience. Pretty much anyone that played pro isn't at this camp. They weren't there last year but we filled out with a few more AHL players. We have prospects now so we can have a camp with just them. Bit surprised no Butcher. I'll have to think later if anyone else is missing.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Martinsen and Pepin on the same team. I hope the food for that team is a buffet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad