Development Camp July 6-10: Now with Ice!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While scrimmages is more fun for the fans that are there, I'm not sure there is any real value to it in the summer when the players haven't been on the ice much.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
While scrimmages is more fun for the fans that are there, I'm not sure there is any real value to it in the summer when the players haven't been on the ice much.

That's basically what Oliver said yesterday in his media scrum. They want to use this time to get players ready to play hockey in the fall. Scrimmages do nothing for them right now.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Sounds like quite a few of our guys could use a whole off-season or five of power skating lessons.

Don't read anything in to it.

I've taken power skating a few times and it's designed to put you in uncomfortable and awkward positions. Great, and I mean great players in the NHL have holes in their skating games. They are really good at avoiding them or compensating so you simply don't see them. Is it better to look solid in all aspects of your power skating? Sure, it usually means your skating ceiling is pretty high and you're better prepared to focus on other aspects of your game.

To give you a good modern example; Ryan O'Reilly was a real skating project but he's improved immensely. He's not a natural and he needs to constantly work at it and he'll never resemble Scott Neidermeyer with his stride and transitions but he's a more than capable pro player as we all know.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Biokov looked pretty fast.

Compher showed good agility, really quick spin move.

Martinsen is pretty mobile for a big guy.

Maheux showed a nice scoring touch around the net.

Pepin moves a lot better than last summer (I would imagine the injury played a factor).

Bleackley was showing off his sniping ability. Man can that kid pick his spot.

Rantanen looked like a smooth skater and natural puck handler.

Meloche looked bigger than expected, moved well, and he too showed some natural puck skills (didn't really need to watch the puck)

Really wish they did more. Mostly just skating. Can't wait to see some guys in more of a game type atmosphere.

And I really wish they would have blown the horn to signify a drill change or session change. My 2 year old loves the horn going off.

Who was the lady out on the ice? Seems like she was the main one giving instructions. The other staff members kind of just watched.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Biokov looked pretty fast.

Compher showed good agility, really quick spin move.

Martinsen is pretty mobile for a big guy.

Maheux showed a nice scoring touch around the net.

Pepin moves a lot better than last summer (I would imagine the injury played a factor).

Bleackley was showing off his sniping ability. Man can that kid pick his spot.

Rantanen looked like a smooth skater and natural puck handler.

Meloche looked bigger than expected, moved well, and he too showed some natural puck skills (didn't really need to watch the puck)

Really wish they did more. Mostly just skating. Can't wait to see some guys in more of a game type atmosphere.

And I really wish they would have blown the horn to signify a drill change or session change. My 2 year old loves the horn going off.

Who was the lady out on the ice? Seems like she was the main one giving instructions. The other staff members kind of just watched.

I reckon that was power skating guru Tracy Tutton.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I also feel like the skating camp is a nice eye opener to some of our prospects. Especially with how important skating ability is in todays NHL, if our guys can identify their weaknesses and start working on them sooner that just increases their chances of making it to the big leagues.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Interesting mix of good looking and butt ugly, our prospects are.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh, I thought Geertsen still looked like this. :laugh:
mason_geertsen.jpg

But it seems he upped his hair game.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Ah I didn't know you were a greek god. I don't see anyone in that group thats "butt ugly", and if they are I feel really bad about myself :laugh::laugh:

Maybe I spoke hyperbolically, I tend to do that, but I would say the guys on the left have a distinct advantage over the guys on the right, except Rantanen. I guess no one is "butt ugly"

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Maybe I spoke hyperbolically, I tend to do that, but I would say the guys on the left have a distinct advantage over the guys on the right, except Rantanen. I guess no one is "butt ugly"

Personally I wouldn't say Nicolas Meloche has an advantage in that department but who am I to judge...

Let's ask TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad