News Article: Devcore is willing

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
back in those days we'd have meetings to manage which clients were in the box. we wouldn't want for example foreign affairs in the box with dnd if we'd sold a solution to dnd where there may have been an implementation issue. man figuring out how to fill the box actually took time and effort....and when they brought in the rule on civil servants not accepting gifts....that was that. goodbye box. it really sucked. sitting in a box with unlimited food and booze on the corporate credit card. those were the days indeed
I even got to bring my buddies with me at times, the only thing I didn't like was if there was some corporate head there & wanted to talk shop during the game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I even got to bring my buddies with me at times, the only thing I didn't like was if there was some corporate head there & wanted to talk shop during the game.
one of the real benefits for me personally was all the "other" events that come to town. my kids got to see a lot of shows in those days that we otherwise couldn't afford. getting people to go to a hockey game was easy but ice shows or concerts...that was mostly employee reward stuff.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The amount given to attend a game or two is peanuts in the grand scheme of things when considering the amount the contract with the vendor is worth. I honestly don't believe it would have any bearing on decision making. If the vendor paid for season tickets for a government employee, that would be a different story. Again, it's a fine line.

Well yes, it is peanuts for the vendor. But for the employee it is not. Having worked in the government for a long time I can attest that senior managers at times would ask us to route certain contracts through specific companies where it was generic enough it could have gone through a number for companies with no real effect on the price the government paid.

Anyone thinking that vendors have not influenced contracts should have been around in the late 90's through 2000's when on Friday at 2 it was easy enough to find many directors at the bar drinking with vendors they were buying from (and I highly doubt they were footing their own bill). And of course the number of decision makers who retired, then promptly started working for the vendors which they supported.

That stuff just does not happen anymore, or at least as much in the open now. And its not going back.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
It's not the government entertaining clients, though. It's vendors who do business with government that were paying for the tickets. It didn't cost the taxpayers a dime. I used to attend four or five games a year using Cisco or Bell provided tickets. I believe it all came to end when Chretien was involved in the hotel scandal in the late 90's, causing the Ethics Commissioner to force new rules regarding any public servant accepting any type of gift, i.e hockey tickets from a vendor, not even a cup of coffee is technically allowed. Once again, people at the top screwing over businesses because of corruption. It's a joke!

Granted it feels like a joke these days its so tight, except of course for politicians who seemingly can accept what they want ....

And believe me, the tax payer pays, through inflated contract values, etc. Businesses are not being screwed, they are just now forced to a level playing field which is meant to take the public servants personal preference (whether influenced or not) out of the equation.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
one of the real benefits for me personally was all the "other" events that come to town. my kids got to see a lot of shows in those days that we otherwise couldn't afford. getting people to go to a hockey game was easy but ice shows or concerts...that was mostly employee reward stuff.

Was able to take my Son to see Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance at the CTC in my former employers suite, through employee reward stuff.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I'm still wondering just how much money will be coming to the nhl with gambling law changes. Im dubious that it will really be a significant amount. But i would hope a league truly focused on fairness for all teams would use that new centralized revenue source to equalize disparities. Whats the odds?

Going to NHL games is a real luxury event. In fact we are complaining that not enough businesses in Ottawa can be enticed to buy seats at the ridiculous prices that only a business writing them off could rationalize. Without all these business giving away tickets, or bringing potential new employees to the recruiting boxes, we are said to not be good enough die hard fans.

Gov't rightly cant accept gifts to woo the purchasing depts, but a govt city also has a lot of people paid well enough to afford the odd ticket here and there. A lot of comfortably paid employees that pool resources to buy season ticket packages.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Gov't rightly cant accept gifts to woo the purchasing depts, but a govt city also has a lot of people paid well enough to afford the odd ticket here and there. A lot of comfortably paid employees that pool resources to buy season ticket packages.

That's what I and a groups of fans did, when the Senators were re-admitted to the NHL, and played at the Civic Center. There were two seats, and there were four or five pairs of us, and we held a draft to disperse the tickets, and myself and a buddy went to about ten games per season.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
"RendezVous LeBreton submitted its final bid to the NCC in December 2015. Included was a copy of a real-estate analysis commissioned by Urbanation. The upshot: Ottawa’s economy was sufficiently strong to accommodate 200 additional residential units annually proposed for LeBreton by 2027 and 150 units per year after that until 2033.
As Trinity Development had not yet applied for zoning changes on 900 Albert St., Urbanation did not include that property in its analysis. The zoning changes were requested in March 2016.
"

900 Albert Street: gateway for a $700 million lawsuit

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
"RendezVous LeBreton submitted its final bid to the NCC in December 2015. Included was a copy of a real-estate analysis commissioned by Urbanation. The upshot: Ottawa’s economy was sufficiently strong to accommodate 200 additional residential units annually proposed for LeBreton by 2027 and 150 units per year after that until 2033.
As Trinity Development had not yet applied for zoning changes on 900 Albert St., Urbanation did not include that property in its analysis. The zoning changes were requested in March 2016.
"

900 Albert Street: gateway for a $700 million lawsuit

Uhhg. Not exactly black and white.

By the end of this, it will be the lawyers buying the team.

Reactions: coladin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Uhhg. Not exactly black and white.

By the end of this, it will be the lawyers buying the team.

Yes, I agree.

Melnyk seems to have a case, and the deeper we get into the details, as they've come up, his lawsuit is not the "foolish" lashing out that many here have assume it was.

But is he really going to go to the wall with this, or is it a tactic to hash out a new arrangement with Ruddy, or to get Ruddy out and some one else into the deal.... who knows.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Yes, I agree.

Melnyk seems to have a case, and the deeper we get into the details, as they've come up, his lawsuit is not the "foolish" lashing out that many here have assume it was.

But is he really going to go to the wall with this, or is it a tactic to hash out a new arrangement with Ruddy, or to get Ruddy out and some one else into the deal.... who knows.

Why would he do that, a few minutes ago in the other thread you're talking about this elusive us market with streams of milk and honey...would he not try to get out of this horrible ottawa market at all costs?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Why would he do that, a few minutes ago in the other thread you're talking about this elusive us market with streams of milk and honey...would he not try to get out of this horrible ottawa market at all costs?

The cheapest option is to remain in Ottawa, and not pay relocation fees. But don't tell me tht you've never heard of any sports team franchise owners using the "relocation card" in their negotiating with local/provincial/state government or partners, in order to get a better deal for themselves.

It's called covering your bases.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
The cheapest option is to remain in Ottawa, and not pay relocation fees. But don't tell me tht you've never heard of any sports team franchise owners using the "relocation card" in their negotiating with local/provincial/state government or partners, in order to get a better deal for themselves.

The problem is this owner is playing cards since he was gifted the franchise...
When he's done to much dumb shit in the past he was sent to Barbados until Leeder or Murray sorted out his mistakes and mended the fences.
Now he's surrounded by people who either have no clue or are clinging to their jobs knowing they run the whole show more in the ground. Do you really think the BoG and Bettman are helping this clown to extend this bullshittery even more?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I don’t know why some people are shocked that a $700 million lawsuit actually has somewhat of a legitimate case...

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I don’t know why some people are shocked that a $700 million lawsuit actually has somewhat of a legitimate case...
Because people on this board all associate EM as good for nothing. They have developed a poisonous attitude and hate for him. I am not vindicating him at all, but in this case he is right. If any of you were in his shoes and had his liabilities you would do the same. He started this lawsuit to sever the partnership to develop lebreton. His new partnership needs this rectified to move on to the next step. Giddy up!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

the cheapest option is to remain in ottawa and find a way to have a healthy portion of your building paid for because you hold a city's emotions hostage.

that's actually on page 1 of the pro sports ownership handbook.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
the cheapest option is to remain in ottawa and find a way to have a healthy portion of your building paid for because you hold a city's emotions hostage.

that's actually on page 1 of the pro sports ownership handbook.

And I for one was not surprised that there were reports, from the Mayor, that this happened, in some form, depending one who's story/spin you listened to.

I could live with some form of tax breaks, for a defined period of time, maybe a decade, to help offset the cost of relocation, but nothing more than that.

The City has a lot to benefit from, by having Lebreton re-developed asap, and having a NHL Arena as the anchor to build around only increases the value to the City in the long run.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
And I for one was not surprised that there were reports, from the Mayor, that this happened, in some form, depending one who's story/spin you listened to.

I could live with some form of tax breaks, for a defined period of time, maybe a decade, to help offset the cost of relocation, but nothing more than that.

The City has a lot to benefit from, by having Lebreton re-developed asap, and having a NHL Arena as the anchor to build around only increases the value to the City in the long run.

Melnyck asking for $$$ from the city wasn't a a story or spin, it is just a fact. It happened, and everyone can handle that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Melnyck asking for $$$ from the city wasn't a a story or spin, it is just a fact. It happened, and everyone can handle that.

Like I said, there's two sides to any story, and the Mayor said what he said, and you can believe him 100% ......... I guess that make you a Watson supporter, eh?

The Senators said something different, and the truth is probably somewhere in between.

I know you hate the Owner, and have a default position of "he always is lying" and totally dismiss any chance that there is even a small possibility of some spinning coming from a Politician, like Watson, as we all know that all Politicians always tell the truth, right?

"In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Nicolas Ruszkowski, the team's chief operating officer, called Watson's comments "disappointing and inaccurate."
He said the two sides met at the city's suggestion to talk about funding models, but when the city made it clear it didn't want to be involved, the Senators moved on.
"Numerous options for the development of the site were discussed; including, for instance, the adoption of Edmonton's arena development model. When informed that this was impossible, [Rendezvous LeBreton] moved on," he said in a statement, adding Melnyk never demanded the city build an arena.
Ruszkowski also said the mayor ruling out tax dollars for an arena is a double standard, considering the city had already invested to upgrade TD Place stadium at Lansdowne Park."

Joanne Chianello · CBC News

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Like I said, there's two sides to any story, and the Mayor said what he said, and you can believe him 100% ......... I guess that make you a Watson supporter, eh?

The Senators said something different, and the truth is probably somewhere in between.

I know you hate the Owner, and have a default position of "he always is lying" and totally dismiss any chance that there is even a small possibility of some spinning coming from a Politician, like Watson, as we all know that all Politicians always tell the truth, right?

"In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Nicolas Ruszkowski, the team's chief operating officer, called Watson's comments "disappointing and inaccurate."
He said the two sides met at the city's suggestion to talk about funding models, but when the city made it clear it didn't want to be involved, the Senators moved on.
"Numerous options for the development of the site were discussed; including, for instance, the adoption of Edmonton's arena development model. When informed that this was impossible, [Rendezvous LeBreton] moved on," he said in a statement, adding Melnyk never demanded the city build an arena.
Ruszkowski also said the mayor ruling out tax dollars for an arena is a double standard, considering the city had already invested to upgrade TD Place stadium at Lansdowne Park."

Joanne Chianello · CBC News

it doesn't make me a Watson supporter, it makes me a person who believes Watson is an honest man.

The Sens admitted in their statement they asked for governs not money to build the stadium, so the facts are agreed on from both sides. No need to get your back up here big guy. It's the truth, accept it if you can.

Weird thing about you quoting Rszkowski is he wasn't there, he wasn't even working for the Ottawa Senators, I don't even think he was on the continent at the time, so how would he know what was said in a meeting that happened 2 years before he was hired unless Melnyck dictated it to him. But no surprise you're quoating a Melnyck yes-man, because you know, you're the President of the Melnyck-yes-man-club, and I am the President of the Melnyck-is-a-scmutz club.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
it doesn't make me a Watson supporter, it makes me a person who believes Watson is an honest man.

The Sens admitted in their statement they asked for governs not money to build the stadium, so the facts are agreed on from both sides. No need to get your back up here big guy. It's the truth, accept it if you can.

Weird thing about you quoting Rszkowski is he wasn't there, he wasn't even working for the Ottawa Senators, I don't even think he was on the continent at the time, so how would he know what was said in a meeting that happened 2 years before he was hired unless Melnyck dictated it to him. But no surprise you're quoating a Melnyck yes-man, because you know, you're the President of the Melnyck-yes-man-club, and I am the President of the Melnyck-is-a-scmutz club.

You just called a politician an honest man.. HaHa

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
And thats why athletes get paid to sell fruit loops to the kids.

Alfie would ever do that, it's not healthy. The man supports causes that help our hospitals.

Alfie is an honourable man and to describe him as a money grubbing athlete with low ethics isn't right

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Alfie would ever do that, it's not healthy. The man supports causes that help our hospitals.

Alfie is an honourable man and to describe him as a money grubbing athlete with low ethics isn't right

Cant tell if serious...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad