Post-Game Talk: Devastating loss

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Kings second goal was an absolute back breaker. No tip, no deflection. Literally on the ice under his pad.

His .930 save percentage is because the Kings shoot from everywhere.

The combination of Smith playing mediocre and Draisaitl being a tire fire were pretty fatal in this game.

Yeah I don't understand why people don't get that Smith's Save% is grossly inflated this series by the style that LA plays. Yes he was good in games 1-3 (outside of the mistake in game 1 that cost us the game of course), but he hasn't been good in games 4-5. He hasn't been TERRIBLE, but he hasn't been good either. Yesterday he should have held onto the puck before the 1st goal and that second goal was a goal that most pee wee tenders make 9/10 times. He did make some saves as well though, so like I said, it wasn't ALL bad, it just wasn't that good either.

Reactions: Oilers 322

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
also nurse is hurt, 100% hip or knee for sure he is not moving laterally at all, not like he usually does

Reactions: Laodongxi

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
At the end of the day...whatever.
They are a bunch of millionaire children playing a game for money that we let ruin our days and effect our moods.
Not a SINGLE one of those players deserve the dedication of this fan base. I have started and you should as well, just simply care less. They aren't worth your time and effect. Maybe thats being a "fairweather" fan or whatever but this organization isn't worth this amount of emotion and effort.
Exactly. I would advise everyone to not let the #1 hobby in your life be something you only engage with passively. Focus on working out/playing sports/learning/arts etc - something that you have control over, and if the Oilers do ever figure this shit out, it'll be gravy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, the nomenclature gets lost or Fuzzy. Quite clearly the kings are the better "team" and have the better room. One can see that in their levels of D how they play for each other, and how they come out in games. The Oilers are the better collection of talent that you spot on a roster. Which means hardly anything in cap era NHL in playoffs. The better cohesive team will win, they will prevail most times.
People shit on McLellan for his presser in game 3 saying that the whole team sucked and wouldn't answer questions about individual players.
It was the right call by him. When your whole team sucks, pointing the fingers does nothing. YOu win together and you lose together. LA seems to get that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I sound like a broken record at this point, I say the same thing every off-season, every regular season and come playoffs yet it is always relevant

listening to the player interviews gave me no confidence in anyone or anything this team is going
If you can't win with McDavid and Draisatl then you shouldn't be in hockey, period. I know we were all thrilled when Chiarelli was canned but Holland has been no better, if not worse. The salary cap structure next year is alarming, with basically the entire defense corps locked up. Duncan Keith and Mike Smith should retire in the offseason, Holland and everyone else should be fired. 7 years of McDavid and we have one lousy playoff series win to show for it.

Reactions: Skate2Stick

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Exactly. I would advise everyone to not let the #1 priority in your life be something you only engage with passively. Focus on working out/playing sports/learning/arts etc - something that you have control over, and if the Oilers do ever figure this shit out, it'll be gravy.

Yeah I played Fortnite last night after the 1st period and then watched the rest of the game at double speed because it was obvious we weren't going to win pretty early. Same thing for game 4. I post on here a lot because its fun, but if the games are actually affected you, there is an issue there. This is entertainment, so when it isn't entertaining anymore, go do something else :)

Reactions: McOilers97

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse is pretty obviously hurt for sure, no doubt about that. Which sucks, but we should have other players stepping up, like Keith, but they have been abject failures in that regard.

I'm pretty sure Nurse is getting cortisone shots. he's left to go to the room each of the last two games, maybe even the one before that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
i wasnt convinced but Danault is worth every penny of his contract, he is so hard to play against, hes everywhere.
I've been saying it for several years here. One of the most unsung Centers in the league. People slept on his talent as well as mostly his role in Montreal was just shutdown Center. But the guy has hands around the net. He's such a complete package and the combined effect is having Danault as a 1/2C on the team has enlivened Kopitars ability to contribute as well. Transformative addition because Kopitar was struggling to carry the load and adding Danault took a quantum load off him. So that in one offseason the Kings went from rebuild format to playoff team possibility. Danault was not the sexiest player grab in off season. But he was the best one.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you can't win with McDavid and Draisatl then you shouldn't be in hockey, period. I know we were all thrilled when Chiarelli was canned but Holland has been no better, if not worse. The salary cap structure next year is alarming, with basically the entire defense corps locked up. Duncan Keith and Mike Smith should retire in the offseason, Holland and everyone else should be fired. 7 years of McDavid and we have one lousy playoff series win to show for it.

Without question Holland should be fired. He should have been fired the day after he made the Keith trade in fact.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yup, it does suck, but things are just bad overall. So you're salvaging things for those players, and the league, and then trying to do whatever you can here.

You might as well fold the franchise while you’re at it.

The amount of bad karma associated with trading the best player in the world not once but twice will be almost impossible to overcome.

Reactions: Llamamoto

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, let's ship out 2 of the best things that we have. Real logical.
This organization isn't winning with them and everything they do is trying to make the team better right now in hopes we can win, with them. But this team salary structure, depth etc isn't setup to win with them any time soon and won't be able to win with their earned massive raises.
So there are 2 paths, keep trying to win as McDrai leave their primes, or sell high and do a proper rebuild from the back out and completely rebuild the org from the top down as well.

Both suck.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I’ve come to realize that I will no longer be as triggered or emotionally invested after a bad performance from this team.

At the end of the day it’s just entertainment, Oilers losing badly or winning the Stanley Cup doesn’t affect my personal life. Therefore no need to lose sleep over it.

I think this is best for my mental health and 90% of the fans out there

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

The amount of bad karma associated with trading the best player in the world not once but twice will be almost impossible to overcome.
There might be some good karma cause hockey fans might go "at least they aren't wasting his career anymore"

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

That's just silly. The franchise is more then the players, even the truly great players. It's just something to consider so they can win and get all the credit and praise they deserve. The team will survive it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If you can't win with those players you should fold. This organization has been a complete dumpster fire under Katz's watch and not even drafting a generational player has been enough to elevate this club to anything more than first round fodder. Imagine if the building was empty should the Oilers force a game 7. That would send a very strong message to that shitty owner.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Pretty sure it nicked off Keith's stick, probably not enough to absolve Smith completely, but could have been a part of it. That said, Smith doesn't even need to make that save if Keith doesn't serve up the pizza to Iafallo at the blue line.

As for the Draisaitl comment. It seems he's been a tire fire in playoff hockey more often than not. Even round 1 vs. San Jose he sucked but we blamed him having a cold, but that's forgotten as he was good against Anaheim. I'm not saying Edmonton should trade him, but if he doesn't show up in Game 6 and Edmonton is out early again, a new GM better than Holland maybe should consider what the market is.

Watch the replay, didn't touch anything, it just beat Smith. Not really blaming him because the team was ass, but he's not a world beater and that's the goaltending this team needs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm pretty sure Nurse is getting cortisone shots. he's left to go to the room each of the last two games, maybe even the one before that.
Grundstrom is strong but completely bulling Nurse on the 3-0 goal basically means to me that something is not right with Nurse. He's not 100%. Hes far better at 100% and if he is he rides Grundstrom right off that puck and did on several similar plays in regular season. Nurse is usually better at boxing out, hitting, physically dominating. That element isn't there right now and when frustration boils over like in the head butting of Danault you know something is majorly off with Nurse and playing with pain and injury can certainly do that. Remember what Klef was looking like playing hurt? As a D thats real hard to do. Nurse top speed hasn't been there either. I would bet him and Drai are playing through injuries.

Reactions: CornKicker

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I told y'all Holland would be no better from day 1 but I was roasted because he was the new toy and "we have to wait and see that he does"

meanwhile Bill Zito was right there, who now turned a failing Florida team into favorites and presidents cup winners

f*** Nurse, f*** RNH, f*** Yams, f*** Jesse

I'm done defending this core

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I told y'all Holland would be no better from day 1 but I was roasted because he was the new toy and "we have to wait and see that he does"

meanwhile Bill Zito was right there, who now turned a failing Florida team into favorites and presidents cup winners

f*** Nurse, f*** RNH, f*** Yams, f*** Jesse

I'm done defending this core
I think I'll go dig up the thread where he was hired and see what everyone's reaction was. He's, to borrow a term from a previous poster, "an abject incompetent".

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I've been saying it for several years here. One of the most unsung Centers in the league. People slept on his talent as well as mostly his role in Montreal was just shutdown Center. But the guy has hands around the net. He's such a complete package and the combined effect is having Danault as a 1/2C on the team has enlivened Kopitars ability to contribute as well. Transformative addition because Kopitar was struggling to carry the load and adding Danault took a quantum load off him. So that in one offseason the Kings went from rebuild format to playoff team possibility. Danault was not the sexiest player grab in off season. But he was the best one.

Who replaces danault when they need him to replace Kopitar. This Kings team isn't going anywhere, even if they beat the Oilers. They are straight up not better than the Oilers, they are out working them. They've been crap against the west all year and if they make the second round, Dallas or Calgary will absolutely spank them. Beating the Oilers says more about Edmonton's work ethic than it does about a team that got lucky that Vegas shit the bed.

But I'm replying to a guy who would rather watch refrigerators with skates than real hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad