Prospect Info: Devante Stephens (2015, 122nd) ‎– '18-19: Cincinnati #28 (ECHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

On November 6th six Kelowna Rockets players were given the opportunity to get up close and learn first-hand about the realities of drug abuse. Players Riley Stadel, Michael Herringer, Rodney Southam, Gordie Ballhorn, Devante Stephens, and Tomas Soustal were given a tour of East Hastings Street in Vancouver by the R.C.M.P.

Rest Of The Article - http://kelownarockets.com/article/eye-opener-for-rockets-players

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Has anyone seen this guy play this year? He's had a pretty nice uptick in production.

Deleted member 27798

Has anyone seen this guy play this year? He's had a pretty nice uptick in production.

I was just thinking the same thing. I also have not seen him play this year. He did not stand out at all in rookie camp or training camp, but seems to have put together a nice season.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I was just thinking the same thing. I also have not seen him play this year. He did not stand out at all in rookie camp or training camp, but seems to have put together a nice season.

I actually thought that he did stand out a bit in rookie camp. I remember him clearing the crease pretty effectively, and I also remember a couple of nice rush. He's got wheels and he's strong. I remember thinking that I didn't understand why he didn't produce more given his skill set.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I actually thought that he did stand out a bit in rookie camp. I remember him clearing the crease pretty effectively, and I also remember a couple of nice rush. He's got wheels and he's strong. I remember thinking that I didn't understand why he didn't produce more given his skill set.

Agreed. I saw him in camp a couple times. Looked good.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Update - Kelowna Rockets wins Game #5 - 6-2 and wins the series 4-1.
Advances to the Western Conference Finals for the fourth year in a row where they will face the Seattle Thunderbirds for the second year in a row.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Devante Stephens (2015 - Fifth Round) logged a minus-1 rating Tuesday as Kelowna was doubled by Portland 4-2 in Game #3 of their Western Conference semifinal series.

It was all Kelowna the rest of the way, though, with Stephens notching assists in each of his next two games as the Rockets eliminated the Winterhawks with 7-2 and 6-2 victories on Wednesday and Friday to set up a Western Conference Final matchup versus Seattle.

Stephens has six assists in eleven postseason contests heading into the matchup with the Thunderbirds, which begins Friday in Seattle.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-prospects-report-april-17-2017/c-288861020

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@SabresProspects -

Speedy LHD - Stephens took his game up a level this season at both ends. Good mobility, started jumping into more plays. Playing with confidence.

Full expectation is that Stephens will be in Rochester for first year at least. I can see two but we'll see. Mobile defense-first option.

Also of note, the Stephens pick was made with info provided by Bylsma, who loved his athleticism when spending time with Lambert in Kelowna.

Stephens had an up+down draft+1 year and then really turned it up in the 2016 playoffs. He's been strong the whole way through this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad