Prospect Info: Devante Stephens (2015, 122nd) ‎– '18-19: Cincinnati #28 (ECHL)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
My tweet was already posted, but this should be easier to read for you.

A nice prospect here.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#29 Devante Stephens

Team: Kelowna Rockets
Position: D
Shoots: L
Height: 6’1.25
Weight: 171
GP: 64
Goals: 4
Assists: 7
Pts/Gm: 0.17
PIM: 33

Player Analysis: Devante Stephens is a raw but toolsy rookie blueliner for the Kelowna Rockets…is the owner of a long and fluid skating stride which generates plenty of top speed…both his backwards and forwards skating feature power due to strong edgework…transitions to and from forwards to backwards skating can be a bit clumsy at times, causing him to get beat wide from time to time…while his mobility is fairly good he does have a bit of a rigid, raw and unrefined look to his overall movement…plays a confident offensive game, even if his skills are fairly untested at this level…handles the puck fairly well when exiting his zone…executes solid outlet passes, moving the puck with plenty of zip…has shown the ability to take something off his outlets or to make a play on the backhand against aggressive forechecking pressure…shot is good but not great…footwork and shooting mechanics could be refined…fairly good at getting pucks on net by changing shooting angles…should be a fairly decent goal scorer at the WHL level…makes smart pinches which fits in well with Kelowna’s aggressive and up-the-ice mentality, reading the play quite well offensively…

defensively he features a long wingspan and subsequent reach…looks far bigger and longer than his listing would lead you to believe…listed at 6’1 and 161 on his WHL team page and 6’1.25 and 171 by NHL Central Scouting…long reach comes in handy with his good stick positioning…does a good job breaking up passes and tipping attempted shots wide or over the net…isn’t a killer physically but will play the body…overall defensive positioning and reads remain a work in progress but has shown solid progression throughout the year…he was a regular within the Rockets top 4 defensive unit, especially in the second half where he ended the regular season by playing 22 consecutive games on the Rockets top pairing with Madison Bowey…he rarely looked out of place on that top pairing…special teams participation was fairly hit and miss in my viewings (he did do some PK) but he should be on both units full-time when looking ahead to next year…spent some time at forward during the playoffs for the Rockets and looked surprisingly comfortable in that role, even when penalty killing as a forward…

was a rather consistent offensive producer when weighing his full season, posting 0.15 PPG before January 1st and 0.19 PPG after…was an undrafted player in bantam, being listed by Kelowna instead…overall I see plenty of raw tools within Stephens’ game…things like his overall movement, puck skills and defensive play need to be polished and refined, but the sense, frame and basic skillset exist…Kelowna will surely be losing Bowey, Morrissey and Martin from their blueline for next season, meaning plenty of ice time and opportunity will exist for Stephens over the next few years…an absolutely top-end projection for him would probably be that of a two-way blueliner (with a more defensive lean) who plays within an NHL team’s top 4 and on special teams…I rate him as roughly a late 5th round type of player and wouldn’t be shocked at all if he came off the board quite a bit earlier than that…

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
First 20 seconds of the video he lets a skater run his goalie then high sticks someone.

He took the puck off his man, which is his job. The guy didn't run the goalie, he cut across the crease without running the goalie because the defense left him nowhere to go.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Apparently Bylsma congratulated the scouts on this pick. Some are calling this one of the steals of the draft. Sabres absolutely believe he will be an NHL defenseman, his dad was a football player in college and this kid will fill out and get bigger.

Not on lists because he came out of nowhere but was hard to miss for Kelowna as year ended in playoffs.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I thought I heard Craig Button say he has late round steal of the draft potential. It took him a while to find his game and place on the team but as the season progressed his role just grew larger and larger. Next year he'll likely be relied upon as the top pairing player.

He is definitely one to watch.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres feel they have steal in prospect Devante Stephens:
Stephens sat out early last season, so some teams didn’t notice him, said Greg Royce, the Sabres’ director of amateur scouting. Finally, some injuries opened up a spot.

“When … he did get the ice time, he’s a very good skater, (has) good puck poise,” Royce said Saturday following the NHL Draft inside the BB&T Center. “He’s not real flashy. He’s not going to wow you with things. But he makes the right play. …

“He’s going to put on size. He comes from an athletic background. I really firmly believe he will be a top-six defenseman in the NHL.”

The team’s scouts never told Bylsma they planned to take Stephens, whose father played football at the University of Maryland. When they selected him, Bylsma walked by the draft table, pumped his fist in the air and said, “Yeah.”

“He’s convinced he’ll be an NHL player,” Royce said. “We’re convinced he’ll be an NHL player. I do believe he was a steal there.”

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Nice pick up guys. Just saw that Buffalo got him. He will be a big player for Kelowna this year. Will really show what he is capable of. I go to lots of rockets games. On many nights he was one of our best dmen.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Kelowna's training camp opened yesterday. They have five preseason games scheduled, with the first coming on September 5th. For some context on how Stephens fits into their defense, here's an excerpt from the local paper:
Smart is also a quick study on the Rockets’ depth chart and realizes he’ll have his work cut out for him over the next month.

With the world-junior gold-medallist pairing of Madison Bowey and Josh Morrissey graduating to the pro ranks, the Rockets are returning four defencemen in Devante Stephens, Joe Gatenby, Lucas Johansen and Riley Stadel, the latter of whom finished last season as a forward but is now expected to be the old horse on the back end as the lone 19-year-old — turning 20 in January — on what projects to be a very young blue-line this season.

That leaves three or potentially four available roster spots for newcomers and Smart is in that mix. His main competition includes Cal Foote, the elder of former NHLer Adam Foote’s two sons drafted by the Rockets, who is a near lock to make the cut for his 17-year-old season despite still being 16 with a late birthday in December; Danny Gatenby, Joe’s younger-but-bigger brother and another strong candidate as a 17-year-old; Gordie Ballhorn, who was signed out of the Alberta Junior Hockey League partway through last season and will turn 18 on Wednesday; and Connor Bowey, Madison’s younger-and-smaller brother who might be converted to a forward, at least for his 17-year-old season.

Do the math and that is nine names vying for seven, maybe eight jobs — not to mention the other nine wild-cards who remain in training camp and could still emerge as surprise roster contenders.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Saturday, November 7 -

Devante Stephens put his first goal of the year into an empty net as Kelowna outgunned Portland 8-5.
Stephens has four points (1+3) in eighteen games for the second-place Rockets.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
the complete lack of offensive production is mildly concerning. i was super impressed with his smarts/positioning in D-camp. has anyone seen him play recently? is he playing a shutdown role?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I posted in one of the Prospect Poll threads that what I've seen from him is indeed shutdown time and that he doesn't get a much if any PP time nor O-zone start time. He uses his skating for positioning and takeouts. What would benefit him the most is increased strength. I like how he can engage, even if it is more classic lock outs against the wall, just would like to see him be able to handle more.

He's a project but the tools are solid.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I posted in one of the Prospect Poll threads that what I've seen from him is indeed shutdown time and that he doesn't get a much if any PP time nor O-zone start time. He uses his skating for positioning and takeouts. What would benefit him the most is increased strength. I like how he can engage, even if it is more classic lock outs against the wall, just would like to see him be able to handle more.

He's a project but the tools are solid.

Nice. We need some shutdown in our system. I read on a Kelowna blog that towards the end of the year he really started to up the physical engagement. Had to be a tough adjustment year with Bowie leaving. Next year is a huge development year for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice. We need some shutdown in our system. I read on a Kelowna blog that towards the end of the year he really started to up the physical engagement. Had to be a tough adjustment year with Bowie leaving. Next year is a huge development year for him.

Not just with his partner leaving -- and Bowey is awesome -- but with Lambert leaving too. Nothing against Brad Ralph mind you, just the change can have an impact. Stephans is game, more strength will go a long way. And he's already a great skater, no need to compensate for his mobility.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - Kelowna moves on to face Victoria in the next round of the WHL Playoffs. Game #1 is Thursday, April 7 in Victoria.
Devante Stephens stats last night - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Penalties - had a 0 Plus/Minus.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Stephens and the Rockets got back to work Thursday for their second-round opener in Victoria, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Royals.
Stephens recorded two shots on goal in the loss and finished with another even rating Saturday as the Rockets looked to even the series.
However, Kelowna was again out-gunned by the Royals in taking a 3-2 defeat in Game #2.

Down 2-0 in series, Kelowna (Stephens) gets the start they were needing as Dillon Dube (2016) gets his 2nd of the playoffs. KEL 1, VIC 0 1st Period.
Chartier (SJS) puts Kelowna up 2-0 on Victoria. Home ice treating the Rockets well thus far.
Kelowna defeated Victoria 3-2 last night. Stephens with a cross-checking minor in the win. Rockets down 2-1 in series with Game #4 Thursday.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Kelowna Rockets pulled off a stunning come from behind victory to knock off the Victoria Royals 3-2 in Game #7.
Calvin Thurkauf scored the overtime winner at the 5:56 mark of the extra frame.
Justin Kirkland sent the game into overtime after scoring his second of the game with less than a second remaining in regulation.
Kelowna will now face the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL Western Conference Championship with Game #1 in Kelowna on Friday, April 22.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker - @SabresProspects - Sabres.com - Monday, May 2.

With their backs against the wall in a 3-0 series hole, Defenseman Devante Stephens (2015, Fifth Round) and the Kelowna Rockets battled admirably last Wednesday evening (April 27) but ended up getting swept by the Seattle Thunderbirds via a 5-4 loss in double-overtime. In 18 playoff games, Devante Stephens produced one assist and a plus 1 rating.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'm a little dissappointed in Devante's season. It was a good chance for him to lead this young blueline but instead it was the young guys who took advantage of the oppurtunity.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The past two Prospects Reports have been headlined by a three-goal performance (first by Christopher Brown and then Judd Peterson) and what do you know?
The group pulled through with one more to close out October with the trick or treat trifecta.
Kelowna defenseman Devante Stephens (2015, fifth round) scored his first WHL hat trick Saturday as the Rockets earned a 5-3 victory at Portland.

After roofing a shot for his second goal of the year at 23 seconds of the second period, Stephens showed his supreme speed in the final period to get his second of the game.
With the game knotted at three goals apiece and his team down a man, Stephens bolted out of his zone without the puck to create an odd-man rush.
Stephens won a footrace to get into scoring position and deposited the perfect feed with 11:57 left in regulation for his first career short-handed goal.
Stephens capped the hat trick with an empty-net goal that thus far has been credited to a teammate but will certainly be changed.

Prior to the highlight reel performance, Stephens began the week Wednesday with an assist in a 6-4 win over Victoria.
He'd finish the week with even-rating in Kelowna's 3-2 victory over Portland on Sunday.

Stephens had his ups and downs last season, but is starting to take his game to the next level thanks largely to his "NHL speed."
He's covering a lot of ground defensively, jumping up into the play with regularity, and adding a little spice to the Kelowna attack whenever he is on the ice.
The increased efficiency has resulted in four goals, seven points, and a plus-2 rating in 14 games.

Rest Of The Prospects Report - https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/dev...-big-weekend-for-sabres-prospects/c-283273054

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad