Devante-Smith Pelly Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
The guy had 27 goals in 55 games in the AHL just last year. He put up 36 goals in 67 games in his last year in the OHL. 5 goals in 12 playoff games for Anaheim last year. The kid can score goals.

Scoring in the AHL or OHL doesn't automatically mean you have top 6 potential, and neither does showing a few flashes with Getzlaf and Perry over a span of a dozen games. Let's dial it down a bit, you're probably the second person in this thread that thinks DSP has the potential to be a "quality top 6 player". Let's see how he looks like once he's in shape and we'll go from there.

That's probably because you've only seen what he has shown with the Habs, and he has struggled so far with the Habs. He has shown in his youth that he is able to make space for his forwards and has a great knack for scoring. He hits like a machine and has always been great on the forecheck. He has great defensive upside. He has all these qualities that didn't really get put on display this season with the Habs, but they are there.

The guy has 15 goals in 150 games, not sure you can claim he has much of a knack for scoring, he also isn't very good on the forecheck.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Bergevin and yourself have not done your due diligence!!! DSP has never produced more then 8 goals his offensive stats in the NHL are atrocious!!!

Yeah, Bergevin hasn't done his due diligence. I'm sure you're totally right bud. The guy put up 27 goals in 55 games in the AHL just last season, he clearly has the upside of a top 6 winger. He put up 5 goals in 12 playoff games, yet he apparently can't score in the NHL?

That's where I see his upside. I think the best case scenario is he plays a Bickell type role at playoff time, hit hard and score clutch goals. He did a bit of it this year, but I think there is more there, as I said a few times I think he needs to play at a lighter weight like McCarron did this year. Sometimes players want to play too heavy and they lose some quickness and acceleration.

DSP always had pretty good speed all the way up, his first step and agility probably needs him 8-10lbs lighter.

I completely agree. I would love for him to grow into a Bickell type of player, and I think that is where the Habs see him going too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad