Detroit's top line of Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi turning heads

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They've been the hottest line in hockey going back to last year. Gonna take more than 10 games to prove themselves though.

Whats key is that Mantha seems to have taken an enormous step forward this year. After ending last season on a high note, he dominated the worlds for team Canada last spring. Then he dominated preseason, and now he's carried that momentum into the regular season. This guy is finally realizing his potential as a 6'5 fast skating beast with awesome hands and an incredible shot. Previously his effort level was always questionable, but man, he's different now. A complete terror out there. I mean, check out this goal from him last night:

Larkin took his big step forward last year, Mantha is doing it this year. Bertuzzi looks like he picked up where he did last year as well. Great complimentary player with high hockey IQ and vision, best board battler ive ever seen, great at tipping pucks, and a good shot to boot. Hopefully they can keep it up, we haven't had a first line this good in a long ass time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At least Mantha has been very hot anywhere he plays.

He has now 35 points on his last 21 hockey games.

NHL season-ending, 8 games, 8+7 = 15 points
WHC Canada, 9 games, 7+7 = 14 points
NHL-preseason, 3 games, 4+0 = 4 points
New NHL season, 1 game, 1+2 = 3 points
---------------------------------
Total, 21 games, 20 goals, 15 assists = 35 points.

Reactions: skate skate skate

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Turning heads?

Sounds like a Yahoo gossip headline.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Look as a Wings I really like Detroit top line but calm the f*** down. There are a lot of better top lines in the league.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think you're thinking of the wrong Bertuzzi, and I think OP means turning heads Matthews' style- where he checked Sabourin's jersey, not the pants thing. As in "who? Their first line is who?"

Nah but for treal, great young players and I'm glad Wings fans have something good to watch.

Probably a reference to the sucker punch last season he gave. Larkin didn't exactly act any better either.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
They have serious chem but it’s too early to call them elite. Lines have hot streaks all the time. It would be fun to watch them all have career years while the team around them sucks, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
47 points / 9 games / 3 Players =1.74ppg per player

1.74*41 = 71 points

If you’re expecting any line to have 71 points per player in 41 games, I suggest you buy a time machine to the 80s Oilers.

Ugh, you're being a little pedantic, but I'll amend my statement:

They need to keep up that performance, or a performance that is statistically similar to other top-scoring lines, over n>=41 games, to get recognized as what they are; which is, hopefully, a line capable of outscoring 25/31 top lines in the league.

:naughty:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol no they're not.
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnat
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benn-Seguin-Radulov

And that's just off the top of my head. I wouldn't put them in the top half of the league.

Have you paid any attention to the pace they’ve been on since the last 30 or so games of last year?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Mantha taking strides is the key here. He's really playing like the big MF'er he is, and he's got a soft touch to boot. He was great last night.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lol no they're not.
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnat
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benn-Seguin-Radulov

And that's just off the top of my head. I wouldn't put them in the top half of the league.

I would guess that theyre outperforming those lines offensively which was the point of the post. With every team trying to shut them down, no other offensive htreats on the team and a bad defense getting them the puck they have 46 points combined their last 9 games. Its a ridiculous pace AND theyre really good defensively as well

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
They are looking promising. Wonder how far they can go this year...

I'll wait at least until game 20 to really start predicting how the year will turn out for our top line.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Have you paid any attention to the pace they’ve been on since the last 30 or so games of last year?
Didn't look up the stats but I'm gonna guess they did not outproduce those lines. All those lines have 2 if not 3 point per game players on them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Didn't look up the stats but I'm gonna guess they did not outproduce those lines. All those lines have 2 if not 3 point per game players on them.

Pretty good chance they did or came very close, to out producing the Dallas trio. Benn only had 53pts

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Flyers fan in the 90's so I started hating the Wings in '97, then turned Preds fan when they were born and cemented my Wings hatred over the next decade+

And the current Wings lineup, especially this top line has me tuning in and rooting for them. It's an exciting and enjoyable group of players coming up there. Now with Yzerman at the helm, great things are coming soon enough.

Reactions: skate skate skate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad