Detroit's Best Defensemen This Season (2015-16)

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Who were our best defensemen this season? How would you rank them, from #1-#7?

05/09 update: Summary of most of the responses in post #44.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Danny had his worst year in a Wings Jersey and he was still our consensus best?

Sad. Sad. Sad.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Dekeyser (pretty obviously our best D)
Green (A great addition, our only defenseman who can carry the pick)
Marchenko (he is actually pretty good at defense...not much O there)
Smith (still has flashes of brilliance, but too inconsistent. If only he had a brain)
Kronwall (old and slow)
Quincey (he's a mediocre defenseman that's pretty much the opposite of Smith)
Ericsson (dead weight in the most true form)

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Green
Quincey
Dekeyser
Marchenko
Smith
Kronwall
Kindl
Ericcson

Pretty shocked at the consensus on Dekeyser. Just goes to show what reputation can do for you. Fully expect that to flip around on him in about 2 years when he is still playing exactly the same game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Green
Quincey
Dekeyser
Marchenko
Smith
Kronwall
Kindl
Ericcson

Pretty shocked at the consensus on Dekeyser. Just goes to show what reputation can do for you. Fully expect that to flip around on him in about 2 years when he is still playing exactly the same game.

Yeah what a terrible guy. Being a top 4 dman

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Well, who played the toughest minutes? Probably DeKeyser. Who played the most minutes? Probably Kronwall, but how much of that was on the PP? Kronwall has a dismal +/-, DeKeyser and Ericsson are barely in the positive. Green has some nice point totals but he isn't being asked to play many tough assignments.

I'd say:

DeKeyser
Green
Quincey
Marchenko
Ericsson
Kronwall
Smith

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah what a terrible guy. Being a top 4 dman

Yeah. Did I say terrible? At all? Like twisting facts to suit your argument. The guy is nothing more than an average middle pairing defender. Nothing wrong with that. Quincey had the better year yet because of his previous history he gets hammered for it.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah. Did I say terrible? At all? Like twisting facts to suit your argument. The guy is nothing more than an average middle pairing defender. Nothing wrong with that. Quincey had the better year yet because of his previous history he gets hammered for it.

I think most everyone agrees he's a middle pair D-man. Unfortunately, on the Wings, that makes you a top pair D-man.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Green
Quincey
Dekeyser
Marchenko
Smith
Kronwall
Kindl
Ericcson

A couple key differences between Dekeyser and Green.

Green's starts in the offensive zone 70.8% of the time (highest in the NHL)
Dekeyser starts in the offensive zone 45.1% of the time (lowest on the Wings)

Green's ES TOI/G: 16:51
Dekeyser's ES TOI/G: 18:36 (most on the Wings)

So yes, Green looked pretty good this season compared to the rest of the D, which isn't saying a lot. How do you think DK and Green would look if those stats were reversed?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Green wasnt the defensive gaffe every single person made him out to be. So its kinda hard to say how he would have fared in the back end.

Its easy to see that Dekeyser doesnt have the offensive nouse of Green but it is true he could have done well with more O-zone starts. To be completely honest, I made that list without looking at a single stat to back it up. I picked it on how I would have chosen the guys based on watching the entire year.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...DK at the top spot? Not even close imo

Depends on how you look at it. If it's by the hope instilled when 3 years ago Pierre McGuire was screaming how "29 other teams were BEGGING for DeKeyser!" then yeah he was a letdown. But if we consider him stepping in as the #1 during Kronwall's injury and down the stretch I think he played admirably. Green in the prime of his life at 6 mil was just not good enough to be labeled the best this season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If I had to give out an award for the best this is one year I wouldn't bother.

Green, DeKeyser, and Kronwall did the heavy lifting. None all that impressively. Team is filled with #3-#5 guys who occasionally look OK on the top pair.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Let me put it this way,

I would not feel comfortable with any of the Wings defensive pairings against any opposing teams 4th line.

Consistently unreliable.

Green wins the "best" title by virtue of his 34 points. The rest of the defenseman were garbage at everything they did.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

He's got a reputation for being solid in his own zone. And right now. That's the best the wings got. You're acting like he's a bottom pairing dmen on any other team

Quincey didn't have the better year. But he had a good one

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
#1 D slot empty
#2 D slot empty
DeKeyser
Green
Quincey
Marchenko
Smith,Kronwall,Ericsson

Ad