Pre-Game Talk: Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
That 4th line is epic fail.

Personally, I'd rather see Jurco up with Richards and Larkin, but the thought of Richards springing both Helm and Larkin with his accurate long passes is pretty amusing.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
That 4th line is epic fail.

Personally, I'd rather see Jurco up with Richards and Larkin, but the thought of Richards springing both Helm and Larkin with his accurate long passes is pretty amusing.

Why Jurco? He is a plug that needs to go at best. His AHL skills aren't going to translate. Not sure why that is not apparent yet.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
With MSU vs. Iowa being a thing that's happening tonight I've realized this is the one time I'd rather the Wings play an afternoon game... Oh well. I'll probably be switching between the games with some favor towards the football game BUT we'll see how it goes.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Why Jurco? He is a plug that needs to go at best. His AHL skills aren't going to translate. Not sure why that is not apparent yet.

He needs more opportunity to play with talented players to be able to demonstrate conclusively what he is. With the sort of skill set that he has, if you play him with plugs he's going to look like a plug. He needs adequate time playing with people who know what a pass is.

Impatience is also certainly not the route to take with a large, 'new age' type semi power forward, which is what Jurco looks like at his best. For the record, here are Abdelkader's first 3 seasons:

6p / 50gp -- 22 y/o
15p / 74gp -- 23 y/o
22p / 81gp -- 24 y/o

So far, he's played all of 5 games mostly with the offensive black hole that is the 4th line. However, his first 2 seasons show more promise than Abdelkader's, at a younger age:

15p / 36gp -- 20 y/o
18p / 63gp -- 21 y/o
5p / 1gp -- 22 y/o (so far this year)

Patience, Iago, patience...

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
He needs more opportunity to play with talented players to be able to demonstrate conclusively what he is. With the sort of skill set that he has, if you play him with plugs he's going to look like a plug. He needs adequate time playing with people who know what a pass is.

I generally agree with remainder of your post, but I really hate this argument. Tatar didn't look like a plug playing with Andersson and Miller. Nyquist didn't look like a plug playing with Andersson and Brunner. They may not have produced enormous numbers, but they were clearly effective and ultimately earned the larger roles that they have today. The reality is that good players are effective everywhere, even if their point production might shift dramatically from one role to the next.

For the record, I'm not saying Jurco has or hasn't been effective up to this point. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that he can't be properly evaluated until he gets an extended opportunity to play with the top players on the team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
looks like they try to jump start Helm using Larkin, why not put Larkin on the 4th line , because they really need a help

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Datsyuk-Z- Jurco
Nyquist-Shean- Tatar
Larkin-Richards-Aby
Andersen-Gleny-Helm
And let Larkin replace Jurco sometimes

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Datsyuk-Z- Jurco
Nyquist-Shean- Tatar
Larkin-Richards-Aby
Andersen-Gleny-Helm
And let Larkin replace Jurco sometimes

Would prefer this as well. I know Jurco will again disappoint though and he will be moved shortly enough.

NSH has strugged since their hot start so we are getting them at the right time.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011

Impatience is also certainly not the route to take with a large, 'new age' type semi power forward, which is what Jurco looks like at his best. For the record, here are Abdelkader's first 3 seasons:

6p / 50gp -- 22 y/o
15p / 74gp -- 23 y/o
22p / 81gp -- 24 y/o

So far, he's played all of 5 games mostly with the offensive black hole that is the 4th line. However, his first 2 seasons show more promise than Abdelkader's, at a younger age:

15p / 36gp -- 20 y/o
18p / 63gp -- 21 y/o
5p / 1gp -- 22 y/o (so far this year)

Patience, Iago, patience...

There is plenty of forward depth behind him to not worry about being patient. I would rather see AA, Mantha etc...you know guys that can actually score goals and create chances. Not some kid who has been up for awhile now and hasn't done squat. He adds nothing to the team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Make up your minds people. Do you want a good 4th line that plays 15 minutes a night, or do you want this kind of "leftovers" 4th line that plays less than 10 minutes per night?

I assume the top 9 will get the lions-share of the icetime now. No more using Glenny as a shutdown guy against top lines. Looks pretty good to me. Larkin with Z and Dats would look better, but Helm+Larkin should create some problems for other teams.

He's still young and doesn't have much NHL experience. He's not a lost cause yet.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Make up your minds people. Do you want a good 4th line that plays 15 minutes a night, or do you want this kind of "leftovers" 4th line that plays less than 10 minutes per night?

I assume the top 9 will get the lions-share of the icetime now. No more using Glenny as a shutdown guy against top lines. Looks pretty good to me. Larkin with Z and Dats would look better, but Helm+Larkin should create some problems for other teams.

He's still young and doesn't have much NHL experience. He's not a lost cause yet.

How about just doing Andersson-Glendening-Helm and then play them like a 4th line????

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
ugh these lines. pavs and Z with Abby? couldn't he have kept Larkin up there instead of burying him on the 3rd line? And the 4th line is a dumpster fire. Back to our 1 goal.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
ugh these lines. pavs and Z with Abby? couldn't he have kept Larkin up there instead of burying him on the 3rd line? And the 4th line is a dumpster fire. Back to our 1 goal.

On the flip side, Nashvilles top defenders will be matching up to Abdelkader, leaving Larkin to....Lark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille