GDT: Detroit Red Wings vs. Carolina Hurricanes | 10/22/2018 | 7:30PM ET | FSD

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't get me wrong, im not fighting for his playing time or anything. I just don't think its fair for him being the spacegoat. I like his energy and passion.

I wasn't trying to blame him for anything. He's just who he is, a bottom pairing guy. Not great, but not a train wreck. Every team has players like that. If a player like him becomes an important piece that's a clear sign a team has problems though.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
am I the only one that likes Hickets?
Nope, I'm pulling for him! I love a good underdog story and think he has plenty of potential to give still. I don't mind him over Hronek in the sense that Hronek could be in GR getting top minutes and Hicketts in Det getting bottom pair minutes and seasoning, but this current situation is kind of baffling.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
am I the only one that likes Hickets?

I love what Hicketts brings. He plays with passion, has an ounce of fight back when players try to get fancy around are goalie. Makes sensible plays as well. The only reason all this bellyaching about him, is because he isn't viewed as having a future and a higher potential guy is sitting, eventhough he has legit been no better, and even admitted he wasn't confident in his own play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think as the team has fallen off over the last few years they have done a good job of updating their philosophy to align with their status of a rebuilder. For better or worse, the one thing they haven't evolved/changed on is their love of guys that make "safe plays." I think Hicketts provides them with a guy who doesn't make many high risk plays compared to Sulak or Hronek for example.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this decision making; just sharing my perceptions on what is driving the decision making.

Hicketts makes a ton of bad plays. He will give up the puck at least 5 times tonight in the corner, he will fail to clear it another five times. He has cleaned up his pinching issue, by finally not pinching as much so he isn't keeping play in as often as he was initially. That is probably a good idea since we gave up seemingly a goal against for 1 in 5 Hicketts pinches. But still he isn't safe at all and that is really my problem with Hicketts. He competes, he gives you everything he has, but what he has is being exploited by the other team routinely at this level. It is time to send him down and realistically given what we have organizationally really say goodbye. I know that will take longer, but I am over the Joe Hicketts story, it is time to rule on the hockey player and not the story. Unfortunately, Joe Hicketts the hockey player is a bad NHL player with significant issues moving forward to think it is going to change...

Reactions: taliababa

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
You really can't expect much from Rasmussen playing with Abby and Glendenning.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hicketts makes a ton of bad plays. He will give up the puck at least 5 times tonight in the corner, he will fail to clear it another five times. He has cleaned up his pinching issue, by finally not pinching as much so he isn't keeping play in as often as he was initially. That is probably a good idea since we gave up seemingly a goal against for 1 in 5 Hicketts pinches. But still he isn't safe at all and that is really my problem with Hicketts. He competes, he gives you everything he has, but what he has is being exploited by the other team routinely at this level. It is time to send him down and realistically given what we have organizationally really say goodbye. I know that will take longer, but I am over the Joe Hicketts story, it is time to rule on the hockey player and not the story. Unfortunately, Joe Hicketts the hockey player is a bad NHL player with significant issues moving forward to think it is going to change...

Hicketts hasn't turned the puck over 5 times in the corner in one game even once this season, and he hardly even pinches and when he does he gets back. If what you say is true about 1 in 5, how is that Hicketts plus minus is no worse than many of the others on our team? Our goaltending has been brutal, and almost everyone on here is simply choosing to rag on a hard working player, simply cause the prettier prospects played literally no better, and aren't getting to play, in Hronek and Sulak.

You also mentioned in another thread, that watch how many times they give it to Hicketts to hem us in, and that rarely even happens, and we have rarely been hemmed in when he is on the ice. People are also saying he can't pass the puck out of our zone, when Ericsson, Jensen, Dekeyser and Kronwall have a much harder time getting the puck out of our zone. Especially on the PK, the D I mentioned have immense trouble getting the puck out of the zone without having the other teams blueliner keep it in at the line, and Hicketts is easily no worse than them.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hicketts hasn't turned the puck over 5 times in the corner in one game even once this season....

You also mentioned in another thread, that watch how many times they give it to Hicketts to hem us in, and that rarely even happens, and we have rarely been hemmed in when he is on the ice. ....

Not looking for a debate here but I happened to access a stream from one our competitors within the last week, I can't remember which team, and their broadcast crew even mentioned they were doing exactly that (dumping it into Hicketts end more than his D partner). I've noticed this myself on numerous occassions, every game.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
We really just need to send Hronek down so he can work on his defense. Hicketts is just a placeholder, he’s whatever for now

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not looking for a debate here but I happened to access a stream from one our competitors within the last week, I can't remember which team, and their broadcast crew even mentioned they were doing exactly that (dumping it into Hicketts end more than his D partner). I've noticed this myself on numerous occasions, every game.

Even if they dump it in his way, if Hicketts helps it get right back out, as he does most times, they can try that play all night. The only reason they go his way, is his size, and trying to play off of that, not because he is some liability back there.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Neither would Kronwall, or Hronek for that matter
Nope. But Kronwall, who certainly should retire, on his worst day, is still better than Joe Hicketts.

I get it, people love the Rudy story. It is a fun, inspirational story. But let's not pretend Rudy went on to a lusturious career.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Even if they dump it in his way, if Hicketts helps it get right back out, as he does most times, they can try that play all night. The only reason they go his way, is his size, and trying to play off of that, not because he is some liability back there.
I agree on the size (reach) being the reason...But I also think Hronek is the better passer & would help clear the zone easier. They're both feisty. Hicketts is listed at 180lbs., Hronek b/w 170-178, but obvioulsy he's 4 inches taller.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I agree on the size (reach) being the reason...But I also think Hronek is the better passer & would help clear the zone easier. They're both feisty. Hicketts is listed at 180lbs., Hronek b/w 170-178, but obviously he's 4 inches taller.

Don't get me wrong, Hronek is the better talent, but he also takes a lot more risks, that so far he isn't always able to cover up for. Honestly, while Jensen scored twice and has been better than last year so far, why can't he sit, and both Hronek and Hicketts play?

Oct 18, 2006
I'm sorry but Hicketts playing over Hronek is a disgrace and a blight on Blashill's coaching.

Blashill doesn't like Hronek's edge and the possibility of him taking stupid penalties. I'd argue he's a kid who has top 4 potential who needs to learn and adjust by PLAYING not sitting. And sitting for Hicketts of all people? It's just ridiculous. This is the guy who's leading our young talent into the future? Scary stuff.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hicketts hasn't turned the puck over 5 times in the corner in one game even once this season, and he hardly even pinches and when he does he gets back. If what you say is true about 1 in 5, how is that Hicketts plus minus is no worse than many of the others on our team? Our goaltending has been brutal, and almost everyone on here is simply choosing to rag on a hard working player, simply cause the prettier prospects played literally no better, and aren't getting to play, in Hronek and Sulak.

You also mentioned in another thread, that watch how many times they give it to Hicketts to hem us in, and that rarely even happens, and we have rarely been hemmed in when he is on the ice. People are also saying he can't pass the puck out of our zone, when Ericsson, Jensen, Dekeyser and Kronwall have a much harder time getting the puck out of our zone. Especially on the PK, the D I mentioned have immense trouble getting the puck out of the zone without having the other teams blueliner keep it in at the line, and Hicketts is easily no worse than them.

I keep saying that I think he is worse at it than them though. So we disagree there first and foremost. We have a different opinion, it is allowed to happen. I notice a lot of mistakes by Hicketts and I don't see a ton of growth and promise in terms of playing him. I guess keeping him as a #7 that played occasionally I am fine with. But I think Hronek watched a game rotate the guys. I haven't liked Hicketts game a whole lot this year, he works hard but that is about all I can say for him.

Oct 18, 2006
I'm sick of Helm going offside (when he's not icing the puck).

Good shift by Mantha.

I'm also tired of seeing Kronwall be a total liability out there.

Oct 18, 2006
Just me or does this crowd sound half asleep? Even quality scoring chances and there's barely a reaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad