GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Boston Bruins | 10/13/2018 | 3:00PM ET | FSD

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I need to start researching Hughes. Size alone, I'm not too high on him. Hopefully I can dig up some stuff that will get me really excited. He might be our consolation prize to this horrible season.
He’s 5’10, Stevie Y is 5’11. This is the best player in the draft, I do not think size will be a huge issue.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I need to start researching Hughes. Size alone, I'm not too high on him. Hopefully I can dig up some stuff that will get me really excited. He might be our consolation prize to this horrible season.

we knew the season would be terrible. What made it tough the last two games was cholowski not playing. with him, hronek und larkin, theres at least something to watch

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
And when he does something besides scoring at a .75 ppg rate while facing better competition while continuing to improve his face offs and general two way play... I’ll criticize him.

His criticism should be higher and if he did what AA has done it certainly would be.

Larkin’s 63 point year last year looks kinda more like a floor than a magical breakout that he can’t reach again. It was mostly assists. It wasn’t like he was getting fed perfect passes from Z and has no chance of doing it again or that he was riding a s% double his normal rate.

And he’s the foregone conclusion to be the Captain because he’s the best, most consistent player on this roster and that’s been his pedigree since the draft. He’s never done anything to change the idea that he would eventually be the captain
You baited me to talk about AA again. Just realized my original point had no mention of him. Like I said I get it you hate AA stop telling me about it now. I was talking about Larkin....

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
we knew the season would be terrible. What made it tough the last two games was cholowski not playing. with him, hronek und larkin, theres at least something to watch

I thought there would be 4 or 5 teams worse than DRWs. And I was hoping for more offense. Blashill's system is boring and even if he he did run an offensive system, Wings don't have the talent to score goals.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He criticized himself saying he should have fought. Why is he exempted from criticism? He is the best player on probably the worst team in the league. Not very hard to be that.

Thats different from us criticising him. He isn't excempt from it, but he is doing everything i could ask from him, especially when you consider what a pile of shit this team is at the moment.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I think he is vastly overrated. I hope he proves me wrong.

he isn't as flashy or obviously skilled like many top talents in the league. Nearly everyone here is saying that that he is more of a #2 c than #1 c . But larkin is a workhorse and i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a solid, 70 pts #1 center in this league.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I just went the Jack Hughes thread. I can't get past 5'9" / 170.

Ugh. Losing sucks!

You and Tyler Wright would get along well. It’s that thinking alone that has lead the team to draft crap players just cause of their size (Mantha, Ras) rather than skill set.

The Joe Thornton age of hockey is over. In this NHL, the key to victories are small, speedy snipers.

Reactions: taliababa

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You and Tyler Wright would get along well. It’s that thinking alone that has lead the team to draft crap players just cause of their size (Mantha, Ras) rather than skill set.

The Joe Thornton age of hockey is over. In this NHL, the key to victories are small, speedy snipers.

1). Tyler didn't draft Mantha
2). 19 year old RAS with 5 NHL games is already deemed as "crap"?
3). Ovie isn't a small winger
4). NHL evolves. If you're building towards what won yesterday, you won't win tomorrow...

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I just went the Jack Hughes thread. I can't get past 5'9" / 170.

Ugh. Losing sucks!

Look at hischier or petterson. these guys look like 12 year olds, yet belong in this league. Why are we, out of all NHL fans, looking for size so much? 10 years ago, in the dats-Z -lidstrom era, we were always a small team which preferred skill over size.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Look at hischier or petterson. these guys look like 12 year olds, yet belong in this league. Why are we, out of all NHL fans, looking for size so much? 10 years ago, in the dats-Z -lidstrom era, we were always a small team which preferred skill over size.
Not to mention that we already have a ton of size both in our u25 players and our prospects.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He criticized himself saying he should have fought. Why is he exempted from criticism? He is the best player on probably the worst team in the league. Not very hard to be that.
As was stated, Larkin isn't exempt from criticism. But he's performing well.

After his sophomore slump I wondered if maybe he wouldn't be more than a speedy 3rd line center. But he's learned how to be a professional in this league and brings it every night.

He's not McDavid or anything. But he's a good player who is playing well.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Not to mention that we already have a ton of size both in our u25 players and our prospects.

and guys like ras, mantha and svech possess alot of skill as well. But we need to combine this wih agile and speedy skaters with skill. Zadina, Veleno and Berggren were excellent picks

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Aren't hischier and petterson listed at 6'1" and 6'2" respectively?

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Aren't hischier and petterson listed at 6'1" and 6'2" respectively?

i don't know, but noone would ever consider a person weighing 120 LBS big. jack hughes will be just fine, and i'm pretty sure he will still grow and inch or two

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

This type of thinking is no better though.

It's about talent. Size, playstyle, etc. is secondary.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
56 minutes with 5 defencemen...

Just not fair. And if someone thinks DeKeyser is not important defensively... he is.

Dekeyser is the difference between a 4-2 loss and an 8-2 loss... so 'he's important'? Lol.

This is like saying a chick that's an obvious 6 is hot because she's surrounded by 2's.

Dude is still a bottom pair guy. I'll never understand why people confuse him with a top 4 D.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
he isn't as flashy or obviously skilled like many top talents in the league. Nearly everyone here is saying that that he is more of a #2 c than #1 c . But larkin is a workhorse and i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a solid, 70 pts #1 center in this league.
I actually agree. BUT let's not pretend he is a superstar and should already be the captain based on his performance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad