GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 2PM - TSN5/RDS - God Eftermiddag Vingar!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I find the 24 hour rule works really great being a fan of this team.

No matter how you cut it, 2 extremely lucky goals by Detroit.

This team lacks patience in so mnay ways and it always bites them in the arse.

But, you have to give credit to where credit is due as well and to come out and win that 3rd period is truly something to build on. I don't think anyone had them winning the game, let alone getting into overtime which, to me, means they know what to do and for some reason do not execute what needs to be done.

They are going to get better, and games like yesterday will bost their confidence when the chips are down. That was a gutsy win

And i think JBD is progressing to the point that maybe Chychrun and Zub should become a pairing and have Sandy and JBD together. Chychrun has been below average, let's be honest
Momentum swings in hockey are pretty normal. We're up 4 and 3 of them are nice goals but Detroit is pushing pace. They get a lucky break on that first goal and you get a momentum and boom. Couple more lucky ones. I think if the 2nd had of gone on for 2 more minutes they might have got the lead.

It sucks to give up a point to a divisional rival but nice reset in the 3rd.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
As long as there are no loser points involved, I guess.
That's how I feel about it. I was pretty pissed when I saw the Leafs tied it, but now I'm happy they're winning. All I want is this game to not go to OT. I don't care who wins. I'm getting sick of these divisional 3 point games.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wow, JBD this game looks like a top 4 RD with defence and physicality…..

If this is a glimpse of where he’s heading colour me stoked
Where was this "physical" D before this? Was it a temporary thing with him? Hope not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The most frustrating part of their play is its simple things they struggle with. When the forwards are tracking back they don’t sort out who to pressure which leads to the D giving up the blue line. In zone, rather than try to cover for someone else just do your job. So much of this teams issues are trying to cover for a single players missed assignment leading to a chain reaction of poor decisions.
I think the Fs sometimes get confused because they are playing in the low slot all together and bumping into each other's so-called roles. We need a better D zone system.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the Fs sometimes get confused because they are playing in the low slot all together and bumping into each other's so-called roles. We need a better D zone system.
There is no chance what you are describing is DJs system.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It’s not that’s what the players are expected to more of them not doing what they should.

You look at this play Norris doesn’t recognize that Brady is F3 and drifts down low. It’s not something the coach is asking him to do, it’s a bad read on his part. Gostisbehere walks into the ice he should be occupying, it looks chaotic and Brannstrom getting beat so badly wide is an issue but the breakdown is Norris not stopping at the hashmarks and drifting low.

Reactions: swiftwin

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
It’s not that’s what the players are expected to more of them not doing what they should.

You look at this play Norris doesn’t recognize that Brady is F3 and drifts down low. It’s not something the coach is asking him to do, it’s a bad read on his part. Gostisbehere walks into the ice he should be occupying, it looks chaotic and Brannstrom getting beat so badly wide is an issue but the breakdown is Norris not stopping at the hashmarks and drifting low.

Sure, I really doubt DJ is telling them to defend like this but why is it still happening? Why haven't these mistakes been corrected?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sure, I really doubt DJ is telling them to defend like this but why is it still happening? Why haven't these mistakes been corrected?

It’s a tough question to answer. I’m sure the coaching staff is drilling it into them, a new voice is something that might be beneficial but a big part of it comes down to individuals paying more attention.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s a tough question to answer. I’m sure the coaching staff is drilling it into them, a new voice is something that might be beneficial but a big part of it comes down to individuals paying more attention.
making players accountable and getting the msg across is the job of the coaching team

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
making players accountable and getting the msg across is the job of the coaching team

Sure, like I said a new voice could be beneficial but I do think some of it comes down to individuals. A coach can bark at a player all they want and take away ice time, but it’s the player who has to want to do better.

A play like that is something you should have figured out by the time you get to the NHL, hell probably pro hockey. There isn’t anything special about Detroits attack either, it was pretty straight forward. Norris wasn’t sharp enough which is a little uncharacteristic for him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Bad by everybody but another example of players trying to cover for others and do more than their job.

Norris is behind the play because he lost his stick, Hamonic comes over to take norris’ guy, Brady then fills Hamonic’s spot and takes that guy past the goal, Branny takes his guy below the goal line but let’s him go which is fine but Tkachuk is where Branny needs to get to, Norris goes to where he should go if there were no breakdowns but because Brady covered for Hamonic who covered for Norris, nobody is where Brady should have been. Maybe a really cohesive veteran team sorts out the coverages but we aren’t that.

Reactions: LiseL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Bad by everybody but another example of players trying to cover for others and do more than their job.

Norris is behind the play because he lost his stick, Hamonic comes over to take norris’ guy, Brady then fills Hamonic’s spot and takes that guy past the goal, Branny takes his guy below the goal line but let’s him go which is fine but Tkachuk is where Branny needs to get to, Norris goes to where he should go if there were no breakdowns but because Brady covered for Hamonic who covered for Norris, nobody is where Brady should have been. Maybe a really cohesive veteran team sorts out the coverages but we aren’t that.
They're almost stuck between two structures on that play, aided by Norris not getting low fast enough because he dropped his stick. They're collapsing tighter than the past couple of years. Without the stick issue this is probably supposed to be a W picking up the trailer which didn't happen because a winger went low.

Shit happens. It's the world's fastest game being played by the best players in the world. The other side is trying to exploit you and even on the worst teams they're good at it. Look at the Sanderson goal on Thursday. You can't be more wide open than that in a scoring area but we had guys saying they're structurally sound

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They're almost stuck between two structures on that play, aided by Norris not getting low fast enough because he dropped his stick. They're collapsing tighter than the past couple of years. Without the stick issue this is probably supposed to be a W picking up the trailer which didn't happen because a winger went low.

Shit happens. It's the world's fastest game being played by the best players in the world. The other side is trying to exploit you and even on the worst teams they're good at it. Look at the Sanderson goal on Thursday. You can't be more wide open than that in a scoring area but we had guys saying they're structurally sound
Bang on. Experience and cohesion is needed.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Yesterday on the Drive on TSN 1200, Gord Miller was on for his take on this game. Lot more honest then when he interviews coach and players. His 2 main comments was that in the 2nd period, Ottawa was playing not to lose and that the talented players were trying to talent their way out of the D-zone, which doesn't work, as opposed to keeping it simple.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad