Detroit Red Wings #6 Prospect Mid-Season 14-15

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Opinions on Sprouls abilities, potential, etc aside...for those that have seen him at Van Andel, how has he looked in the defensive zone so far this year? Improved? A lot? A little?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Opinions on Sprouls abilities, potential, etc aside...for those that have seen him at Van Andel, how has he looked in the defensive zone so far this year? Improved? A lot? A little?

He has improved a little in my opinion. Gaps up a little better, plays the body more often instead of just trying to use his reach which while long cannot be done with poor fundamentals. Sproul is progressing to be sure. I can be hard on him, it is mostly because he has a long ways to go, but he is still on an upward trend and developing.

Needs better recognition on which situation calls for which tool or combination of tools because he has them all, but he seems to bank on the wrong one an awful lot. I do think Sproul will be helped by NHL level talent in terms of protection for some of the things he does, but he is always going to be a fairly risky player in my opinion. Though maybe over time we can smooth him into what Mike Green has become defensively. He has to put in a lot of hard work though.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is Sproul's ceiling a Mike Green 2.0?
I guess when he first got drafted I thought "hopefully a Shea Weber!"

But he doesn't seem to have that kind of physical tools, defensive abilities in his game.

Still voted for him because I don't know what to make of AA....not sure if he's another Helm or not...and Marchenko is too injury prone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: