Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Anthony Mantha 20, LW/RW: 6'4" 214lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 44.90%
2.) Xavier Ouellet 21, D: 6'1" 200lbs. Bayonne, FRA 36.11%
3.) Petr Mrázek 22, G: 6'2" 183 lbs. Ostrava, CZE 77.01%
4.) Dylan Larkin 18, C: 6'1" 214 lbs. Waterford, MI, USA 56.25%
5.) Teemu Pulkkinen 23, RW: 5'10: 185 lbs. Vantaa, FIN 87.50%

No surprise Teemu Pulkkinen wins this round big.

Zach Nastasiuk was the add.

As always vote, discuss and offer an add. I should be honest in terms of adds, I really only plan on going to 10 in season unlike the off-season we have plenty to talk about right now. Somebody else can do it if they feel it is necessary, but this should get us just a little past the all-star break. I will probably still throw out adds as it gives a food for thought in terms of where we are heading in the bigger summer poll.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Don't know how well Marchenko has recovered, but that injury set him back big time last year. Nobody else seems close at all, so it seems I'm voting based on potential for this one. Which means I'm voting for Sproul this round.

Add Nosek

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Marchenko is closer to the NHL. But I voted for Athanasiou. 16 points in 25 points in Grand Rapids. He's got speed. And he's got hands.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
After much debating, I went with Sproul. I like his shot and I always thought that he would be the next Rafalski.

Add is tough too but I think I'll go with Turgeon.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I've got Athanasiou here. Dynamic skillset, highest upside of remaining prospects imo. Impressive 1st season in AHL up until injury.

Add Christoffer Ehn

edit- I am pretty torn between AA and Sproul...I lean AA because he's a center but it's essentially a tie between them.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ryan Sproul for me. I think his weaknesses are overstated, and he's not as far away from the NHL as most believe. There's a reason they mentioned Sproul was one of the players Holland is keying in on during his current visit, and not guys like Marchenko and Jensen. Though I do like Marchenko as well.

Add Dominic Turgeon.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ryan Sproul for me. I think his weaknesses are overstated, and he's not as far away from the NHL as most believe. There's a reason they mentioned Sproul was one of the players Holland is keying in on during his current visit, and not guys like Marchenko and Jensen. Though I do like Marchenko as well.

Add Dominic Turgeon.

I think he is going to watch all of them quite closely in my opinion. This could be a big opportunity for Sproul or and I think this is the opposite of your thinking, he might be deciding if he is an asset he is willing to move. Now he came out pretty strongly with Lebrun that they will only move on an offer that they feel has the right value. Sproul has value and he might be deciding if he has progressed enough with an in person visit to either hold out of discussions or if he is the guy they are willing to move that other teams will find intriguing.

We don't know, but Sproul remains a big work in progress despite his tools. I do think he is engaging a lot more physically, I hope we hold onto him, but even for a middle pairing player likely one of these three will move, as the caliber of player goes up Sproul likely factors in a little heavier into the discussion.

I will say I don't think Evans is doing a lot of good for Sproul's development. Sure having a big mean stay at home guy made a lot of sense for a while in his development, but I would like to see him lineup with someone that can move the puck better over the last half the season in Grand Rapids.

Sproul's skating is pretty incredible though, especially with that frame. I just would like for him to be showing a lot more in terms of recognition on ice defensively and when to go up ice, his gains there are quite minimal in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he is going to watch all of them quite closely in my opinion. This could be a big opportunity for Sproul or and I think this is the opposite of your thinking, he might be deciding if he is an asset he is willing to move. Now he came out pretty strongly with Lebrun that they will only move on an offer that they feel has the right value. Sproul has value and he might be deciding if he has progressed enough with an in person visit to either hold out of discussions or if he is the guy they are willing to move that other teams will find intriguing.

We don't know, but Sproul remains a big work in progress despite his tools. I do think he is engaging a lot more physically, I hope we hold onto him, but even for a middle pairing player likely one of these three will move, as the caliber of player goes up Sproul likely factors in a little heavier into the discussion.

I will say I don't think Evans is doing a lot of good for Sproul's development. Sure having a big mean stay at home guy made a lot of sense for a while in his development, but I would like to see him lineup with someone that can move the puck better over the last half the season in Grand Rapids.

Sproul's skating is pretty incredible though, especially with that frame. I just would like for him to be showing a lot more in terms of recognition on ice defensively and when to go up ice, his gains there are quite minimal in my opinion.

May have baited you into that one a little bit, since I know that you are the most critical of Sproul. But I also value your opinion, since you get to watch more GR games than I do.

Fact is there isn't room for him until the 16-17 season, and I am confident by that time he will be able to hold down a ~16:00-17:00 TOI role, with 2+ min of PP time per game. I think that will yield production similar to a player like Krug. Then I think he has potential to grow from there as he develops more in the league.

Unlike Smith, he is a true QB for the PP. There is really no reason he is not a big part of your PP, even if the rest of his game never comes. So I think he will be a point producing defenseman pretty much regardless, and that has more value in this league than guys like Jensen and Marchenko who at best can become minute eaters.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
May have baited you into that one a little bit, since I know that you are the most critical of Sproul. But I also value your opinion, since you get to watch more GR games than I do.

Fact is there isn't room for him until the 16-17 season, and I am confident by that time he will be able to hold down a ~16:00-17:00 TOI role, with 2+ min of PP time per game. I think that will yield production similar to a player like Krug. Then I think he has potential to grow from there as he develops more in the league.

Unlike Smith, he is a true QB for the PP. There is really no reason he is not a big part of your PP, even if the rest of his game never comes. So I think he will be a point producing defenseman pretty much regardless, and that has more value in this league than guys like Jensen and Marchenko who at best can become minute eaters.

Depends on where you want to put that. As he looks more and more like a 3rd pairing D-man with significant PP time his rankings here have tumbled for me. I really like what he brings offensively, I love his skating. However, he will be punished severely for his ill-advised jumps and things of that nature at the NHL level, he already is plenty of times in the AHL.

Sproul has all the potential in the world, I know why people are so high on him, he flashes it a lot. His progress is there, he is a better player than he was this time a year ago. Not all is lost.

However, Marchenko isn't chopped liver as an offensive D-man and has a massive advantage in terms of his own end. He is a significant battler in corners and a crisp passer in all three zones. Keep in mind this is a guy even while not playing much at CSKA during the NHL lockout was on their top PP unit with Grabo, Datsyuk, Radulov and Grigorenko. He has a little more going for him offensively than I think most give him credit for. Also his trustworthy nature defensively will allow him to see more ice time to help advance his development.

I don't dislike Sproul, I think he has a lot going for him. However, I think he needs to be taking more steps in terms of how he reads the game. His gifts are incredible though, there is no doubting that, I just don't think his floor is that wonderful. For now I take what I am seeing out of the other two right handed options in GR. They might not have his shot, but a lot of it is I am very high on Marchenko and Jensen. Those two have a lot going for them, with hockey brains that function nearly all of the time and that is big for me when I watch all three play.

In a league where skating is a premium, I will continue to remain high on Jensen despite his age. I am impressed with him every time I watch him and the fact he uses that to recover and play sound positional defense to begin with. He uses that speed in all facets of his game, Sproul often uses his speed to his detriment. Still one positive for me lately is Sproul is really starting to play the body more often, I think that could be huge in the long-run. He is starting to remind me an awful lot of Cody Franson. A guy who has played well at times in the NHL and I am very familiar with from his time in Milwaukee. There are times you would watch him and think this guy has Norris capabilities, ultimately though the inconsistencies and poor hockey recognition limit what he is. His finally getting physical looks like it will get him overpaid. There are worse things than being Cody Franson to be sure, but I just don't buy into it over some of the guys we still have on the board at this point. It is also not a surprise that Franson wound up being chased from a deep Nashville blueline as he struggled to cope with the competition there and the Wings will have a lot of that like Nashville did for young Sproul to contend with.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Depends on where you want to put that. As he looks more and more like a 3rd pairing D-man with significant PP time his rankings here have tumbled for me. I really like what he brings offensively, I love his skating. However, he will be punished severely for his ill-advised jumps and things of that nature at the NHL level, he already is plenty of times in the AHL.

Sproul has all the potential in the world, I know why people are so high on him, he flashes it a lot. His progress is there, he is a better player than he was this time a year ago. Not all is lost.

However, Marchenko isn't chopped liver as an offensive D-man and has a massive advantage in terms of his own end. He is a significant battler in corners and a crisp passer in all three zones. Keep in mind this is a guy even while not playing much at CSKA during the NHL lockout was on their top PP unit with Grabo, Datsyuk, Radulov and Grigorenko. He has a little more going for him offensively than I think most give him credit for. Also his trustworthy nature defensively will allow him to see more ice time to help advance his development.

I don't dislike Sproul, I think he has a lot going for him. However, I think he needs to be taking more steps in terms of how he reads the game. His gifts are incredible though, there is no doubting that, I just don't think his floor is that wonderful. For now I take what I am seeing out of the other two right handed options in GR. They might not have his shot, but a lot of it is I am very high on Marchenko and Jensen. Those two have a lot going for them, with hockey brains that function nearly all of the time and that is big for me when I watch all three play.

I am aware of Marchenko's time on the PP in the KHL, but I don't see that holding any weight in how he is viewed here. Believe in the prospect video he was compared by one of Martin and/or Holland to a "Brad Stuart" type in their eyes, and I believe they said "more defensive" as well. So like Jensen who formerly had a PP type, I don't see that in the plans for them here. I mean Smith was thought to project as a high-end offensive defenseman, and he can't even get that role here.

Also believe that in pre-season Babcock said he didn't think of those guys are options for the PP either, but could be wrong there.

On the other hand, I really don't see Sproul becoming less than a 30 point guy, even if that is 3rd pair ES and regular PP time. Just due to his ability to PP a QB. To me that has more value. You can find minute munchers easily in free agency, or trade. You can't find right-handed offensive defenseman that can command a power play easily.

Was planning on making a seperate thread on the log-jam coming during this all-star break, may still do that, but is Jensen going to make the team next year? If not he probably gets claimed if waived?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am aware of Marchenko's time on the PP in the KHL, but I don't see that holding any weight in how he is viewed here. Believe in the prospect video he was compared by one of Martin and/or Holland to a "Brad Stuart" type in their eyes, and I believe they said "more defensive" as well. So like Jensen who formerly had a PP type, I don't see that in the plans for them here. I mean Smith was thought to project as a high-end offensive defenseman, and he can't even get that role here.

Also believe that in pre-season Babcock said he didn't think of those guys are options for the PP either, but could be wrong there.

On the other hand, I really don't see Sproul becoming less than a 30 point guy, even if that is 3rd pair ES and regular PP time. Just due to his ability to PP a QB. To me that has more value. You can find minute munchers easily in free agency, or trade. You can't find right-handed offensive defenseman that can command a power play easily.

Was planning on making a seperate thread on the log-jam coming during this all-star break, may still do that, but is Jensen going to make the team next year? If not he probably gets claimed if waived?

I think Jensen's speed will get him claimed. I do think the Wings will carry him as the 7th D-man though as he offers a significant upgrade over Lashoff. I cannot see him losing that battle.

Ultimately because of his gifts Sproul will be given every chance to fail in Detroit. That is a good thing given his package.

I also am aware of some of those comments in terms of the projections. I think Marchenko could force their hand. Big for him would actually be Babcock departing as he is a clear favorite of Blashill, who often deploys him ahead of Sproul in terms of the pecking order for the PP at the GR level. We will see, Marchenko will need to stay healthy which he has struggled with. But he is a big guy with a lot of gifts as well and the fact he can be relied on in various roles might open up bigger opportunities for him in the long-run. Marchenko to me is an ideal middle pairing guy when all is said and done, I hope he can earn that role and ultimately play in all situations.

monisten

Mar 14, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Again: going for Marchenko. What's not to like about him? Good first pass, mature game, good size, right shot. Putting up good number in GR as well. Should get a call-up as soon as a another defenseman goes down.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Jensen's speed will get him claimed. I do think the Wings will carry him as the 7th D-man though as he offers a significant upgrade over Lashoff. I cannot see him losing that battle.

Ultimately because of his gifts Sproul will be given every chance to fail in Detroit. That is a good thing given his package.

I also am aware of some of those comments in terms of the projections. I think Marchenko could force their hand. Big for him would actually be Babcock departing as he is a clear favorite of Blashill, who often deploys him ahead of Sproul in terms of the pecking order for the PP at the GR level. We will see, Marchenko will need to stay healthy which he has struggled with. But he is a big guy with a lot of gifts as well and the fact he can be relied on in various roles might open up bigger opportunities for him in the long-run. Marchenko to me is an ideal middle pairing guy when all is said and done, I hope he can earn that role and ultimately play in all situations.

Marchenko and Jensen are better than Lashoff (and arguably Kindl) now, though, and look what it's getting them. Holland should keep either over Lashoff, even for that seventh spot, but I can also see them saying, "Gee, we already have a really young group of guys, and we're not thirteen D deep on GR, so maybe we can sneak back through waivers."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad