The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Evgeny Svechnikov LW/RW: 20, 6'3" 205 lbs Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RUS 75.00%
2.) Filip Hronek RD: 19, 6'0" 170 lbs Hradec Kralove, CZE 45.30%
3.) Michael Rasmussen C: 6'5" 221 lbs Surrey, BC, CAN 68.75%
4.) Dennis Cholowski D: 6'1" 180 lbs Langley, BC, CAN 54.55%

Cholowski wins this round. Axel Holmstrom won the tense coin flip I just had as the add.

As always vote, offer an add and discuss.

Last edited:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
VS. I think at the junior level he was far superior to Bertuzzi. I believe his upside is higher than Bertuzzi's. Bertuzzi has 2 years development on VS which is why he's further ahead, has played in the NHL and gotten the chance to find AHL success.

It's a toss-up but VS. Wouldn't be mad with Bert here.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Saarijarvi AINEC.

Bert has bottom 6 replacement level talent written all over him. Saarijarvi at least could be a top 4 D-man.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Saarijarvi AINEC.

Bert has bottom 6 replacement level talent written all over him. Saarijarvi at least could be a top 4 D-man.

I'd say a top four offensive D vs a middle six gritty forward like Shaw. A part of me really thinks VS could turn into a Krug.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I like Saarijarvi, but I go with Bertuzzi based on his AHL production and what I have seen him do in the preseason. I don't think people are giving him enough credit for what he can be

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Vili. He hasn't missed a beat in terms of post-draft development. Size may still be an issue but he is the most naturally talented player left on the board (and the most skilled defensemen in the organization).

Oh, and I am still LMFAO at the posters proclaiming that Cholo will never play in the NHL. People really need to start watching our prospects play if they are going to make proclamations like that.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Oh, and I am still LMFAO at the posters proclaiming that Cholo will never play in the NHL. People really need to start watching our prospects play if they are going to make proclamations like that.

Things no one has said in this thread for $100, Alex. :rolleyes:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Vili is the easy choice here. Bert fills a hole that's already overflowing on our team. Vili could be a second line D who runs the PP. That's much better upside.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I went with Vili. I have nothing new to add to the laudatory remarks of others aside that I see him as a Rafalski-esque player based on size and skill.

I vote to add Setkov. I just have a good feeling about that pick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I went with Vili, but the most intriguing guy left on this list is Holmstrom. If he starts off hot in GR, I hope we don't bury him on the call-up list just because it's his first year in NA.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Vili. He hasn't missed a beat in terms of post-draft development. Size may still be an issue but he is the most naturally talented player left on the board (and the most skilled defensemen in the organization).

I wouldn't want to project that exactly but I watched his Junior championships and realized it was Junior "A" (yes I'm late to the party). How many NHL players are drafted from the A and make the show? Not many. Parayko is the last bigger name (2012), Schultz in (2008), Turris and Brendan Smith (2007). It's a long-shot and for now I'd say the jury is still out.

Between Villi and Bert it's an interesting discussion I can't make up my mind.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I went with Vili, but the most intriguing guy left on this list is Holmstrom. If he starts off hot in GR, I hope we don't bury him on the call-up list just because it's his first year in NA.

I believe Holmstrom has what it takes to light up the AHL. I think he has time down there, doesn't have to be as fast and coming from the SEL should be able to make an impact right out of the gate. He needs to work on his skating, which we've all known. I think he's a long-term type of prospect, where at times you may be close to giving up on him. He'll take some time.

I personally have him in my top ten. I have Hicketts in it too. I honestly think we've got some good D prospects in the system now (Cholo, Hronek, VS, Sambrook, Lindstrom, Hicketts, Renouf).

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I wouldn't want to project that exactly but I watched his Junior championships and realized it was Junior "A" (yes I'm late to the party). How many NHL players are drafted from the A and make the show? Not many. Parayko is the last bigger name (2012), Schultz in (2008), Turris and Brendan Smith (2007). It's a long-shot and for now I'd say the jury is still out.

You're not factoring in the increase of interest in Canadians going to play college hockey in the States. I'd expect more and more of this. Players staying down there, and then going to school for a few years.

3 players in the first round of 2016 came from the BCHL.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
You're not factoring in the increase of interest in Canadians going to play college hockey in the States. I'd expect more and more of this. Players staying down there, and then going to school for a few years.

3 players in the first round of 2016 came from the BCHL.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Didn't know that, thanks.

Riley Sheahan went a similar route. Not sure how well they were scouted/their ability at their age but Canadians Matt Lorito, Jared Coreau, and Dan Renouf stayed away from the CHL and went to the States to play college hockey.

Those guys went undrafted besides Sheahan though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Junior A kids that have been drafted in the first round actually have a pretty high success rate in terms of hitting the NHL. We will see because as was pointed out I think more Canadians are going to start taking this route. But to date if you have managed to become a first round pick playing Junior A they have generally carved out a NHL career of actual significance.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Almost every (save some MN and NEPS kids) NHL player that played NCAA hockey (which is somewhere around a quarter of the league when I last looked) played Junior A hockey. How are his BCHL days relevant after a year of NCAA hockey?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It is good to see that wasn't lost on you.

At least have the courage to quote people you're talking at. It's not hard. Then you could've asked "why on earth do you think Cholowski (or, more relevantly to this thread, Saarijarvi) isn't even an NHL player?!" And we could've, at least, talked about how historically unlikely it is for a late first round pick to play 100 NHL games, or Cholowski's underwhelming numbers at St Cloud (or Saarijarvi's size [to start with]), and you could've maybe mentioned some of the things he does really well that make him a clear NHLer, in your eyes.

I guess hiding behind generalizations, ambiguity and pot-shots is another way to go, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad