Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #8

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #8 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well in about a weeks time, I think I have gone from thinking Tuomisto is overrated to thinking he’s underrated.

Viro over Tuomisto? I’m not seeing it. Even as someone who did not like that Tuomisto pick at all when it was made, and someone who has generally liked Viro.

I think even if Viro makes it, it would be as a pretty vanilla player. Tuomisto has tools to be more than that and has done pretty well since being drafted.
I also think putting Viro over Buium is ridiculous too.

There’s your hot takes @jaster

Reactions: Realgud

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Ok, time to ramp up some discussion. Ya'll are boring.

Viro is over-rated.

There, I said it.

Ok, ok, he's not over-rated, per se. I mean, to me he is, and the rest of you are idiots, but I appreciate we all have our biases :laugh:

Stirring the pot aside, I'm just not a big fan of undersized defensemen outside the top-4. Small guys who can wheel but can't provide a meaningful amount of offense, nor defend well. Like, not a big fan of Stecher, I'm glad he's gone. Wait, he's still here? Damn it. I'm not saying that is what Viro is destined to be, but at the same time he's going to have to take a developmental leap on one end of the ice or the other for me to move him up in my rankings. I don't buy the "there's always a place for guys who can skate," since, well, there are tons of guys who can skate outside the NHL. Ya gotta do something more. This team isn't good enough to drag another Lebda to victory.

Alright, let's hear it. Come at me, bro.

I think it is legit to ask whether Viro can be an effective NHL defensemen if his offensive game does not continue to grow. I really like how he plays, but agree that if you are undersized, you need to excel with the puck because more likely than not, you are not going to be elite defensively. If his offensive game stagnates, I think he needs to become an elite retriever and mover of the puck which is possible, because I think he is a really smart player.

Reactions: jaster

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ok, time to ramp up some discussion. Ya'll are boring.

Viro is over-rated.

There, I said it.

Ok, ok, he's not over-rated, per se. I mean, to me he is, and the rest of you are idiots, but I appreciate we all have our biases :laugh:

Stirring the pot aside, I'm just not a big fan of undersized defensemen outside the top-4. Small guys who can wheel but can't provide a meaningful amount of offense, nor defend well. Like, not a big fan of Stecher, I'm glad he's gone. Wait, he's still here? Damn it. I'm not saying that is what Viro is destined to be, but at the same time he's going to have to take a developmental leap on one end of the ice or the other for me to move him up in my rankings. I don't buy the "there's always a place for guys who can skate," since, well, there are tons of guys who can skate outside the NHL. Ya gotta do something more. This team isn't good enough to drag another Lebda to victory.

Alright, let's hear it. Come at me, bro.

No, YOU'RE overrated!

And your mother is a terrible cook.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It was a toss up between Buium and Neiderbach for me. Buium is a great skater and he is gonna be 230+ lb. I can see him being a Byfuglien like force.

Add Mazur

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I like Buium for similar reasons and Niederbach could be a pretty good Center but Wallinder, he has the highest upside here

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's probably Soderblom or Niederbach for me.
Went with the big guy. Now listed as 6'8. WTF.

Starting to not like the Buium pick much given who was available.

I was also all about Wallinder last year. A lot less happy with that now.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It's probably Soderblom or Niederbach for me.
Went with the big guy. Now listed as 6'8. WTF.

Starting to not like the Buium pick much given who was available.

I was also all about Wallinder last year. A lot less happy with that now.
Starting to not like Buium pick? You never liked it.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
All but one of the first 7 were won with a large majority of the votes. Only Cossa at 4 won it with less than half of the votes (47.8%). It's going to be much closer for the rest of them and there are still a lot of promising prospects to go.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I feel like my vote has to come with a natural asterisk because we haven’t seen him play extended periods of hockey in a long time, but it’s McIsaac.

I’ve always felt that McIsaac had a style of play that would translate to pro hockey better than other defense prospects, and really we’ve never had a chance to see that have a chance yet. I’m expecting a pretty impressive year from him in Grand Rapids this year, but the asterisk is obviously we need to see him on the ice. A lot of my vote is based on his draft cycle pedigree and hope.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I went with Neiderbach here because he seemed to have a very good year. This time next year I’m predicting Wallinder will be in the equation. I think he makes a big jump forward this year

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This has always been the point where things get wide open in my eyes. I see our top 7 prospects as

Tier A: Seider, Edvinsson, Raymond
Tier B: Cossa, Veleno, Berggren, Johansson

Now I think we're deliberating between players who still have Tier B upside but are unproven or rougher around the edges (Buium, Wallinder, Niederbach, etc.) vs. Tier C prospects who might have a higher NHL likelihood without the upside (McIsaac, Savage, Lindstrom/Smith/Pearson, etc.)

Obviously that's an imperfect system, but that's kind of how I size things up here.

I think I would have Buium here, but I thought about Viro and McIsaac as well. Wallinder is a big "wait and see" for me at the moment.

Christien

May 1, 2010
It was close between Tuomisto, Viro, Buium, and Niederbach. Decided to go with Buium.

Add Red Savage

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Close between Tuomisto and Niederbach for me with Viro and Buium also in the mix but went with Tuo. Think he's gonna have a big year in Denver

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Easily Niederbach here for me. I have him in the same tier as Johansson, Veleno, and Berggren. His hockey sense is too much higher than the other prospects on the board, and he’s got a tenacity to his game that should translate well.

Interesting to see how votes get divided between the three big defensemen, Tuomisto, Wallinder, and Buium. I’ve got Wallinder atop that list, even if he is a few years away still.

I think this is the deepest this pool has been since 2000/2001 when we had Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Niklas Kronwall, Jason Williams, Tomas Kopecky, Sean Avery, Stefan Liv (RIP), Jesse Wallin, Igor Grigorenko, Yuri Butsayev, Pär Bäcker, et al in the system.

*edit: added that last paragraph.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
from brock otten :

Donovan Sebrango - Detroit Red Wings
Truthfully, I didn't think Sebrango was ready for the challenge of the pro game, especially as a 19 year old. But he handled it extremely well. Yes, he kept things simple. Offensively, he was a near non factor. But defensively, he was a real standout at such a young age. His competitiveness transferred well and he made grown men work to beat him to the net or along the wall. Sebrango is eligible to return to the AHL again because of how many games he played, but I'd really like to see Detroit send him back to the OHL for another year. He has offensive talent, but he needs to learn to pick those spots and build confidence working the point. He would get all the ice time he could desire in Kitchener and I think it would be great for his development.

link :
OHL Prospects: Top 25 OHL Prospects - Summer of 2021

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
from brock otten :

Donovan Sebrango - Detroit Red Wings
Truthfully, I didn't think Sebrango was ready for the challenge of the pro game, especially as a 19 year old. But he handled it extremely well. Yes, he kept things simple. Offensively, he was a near non factor. But defensively, he was a real standout at such a young age. His competitiveness transferred well and he made grown men work to beat him to the net or along the wall. Sebrango is eligible to return to the AHL again because of how many games he played, but I'd really like to see Detroit send him back to the OHL for another year. He has offensive talent, but he needs to learn to pick those spots and build confidence working the point. He would get all the ice time he could desire in Kitchener and I think it would be great for his development.

link :
OHL Prospects: Top 25 OHL Prospects - Summer of 2021

I like this kid a lot. I can see him and Lindstrom as a solid 3rd-pairing.

Someone posted something recently about how Kitchener is fully prepared for life without Sebrango, so I thought that ship had sailed. But I do agree, I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed with him getting another year in juniors. Normally, I'm against kids going up a level and then going back down (a la Rasmussen), but in this case I think it would be appropriate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would prefer Sebrango to play in the OHL and dominate, and develop his offensive game further.

I think Lashoff and McIsaac would be ahead of him as far as LD for Grand Rapids. So I am not sure I see a path to getting enough minutes there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would prefer Sebrango to play in the OHL and dominate, and develop his offensive game further.

I think Lashoff and McIsaac would be ahead of him as far as LD for Grand Rapids. So I am not sure I see a path to getting enough minutes there.

I couldn't agree more. If we want him to develop some more offense, the OHL is the best place for him by a country mile. I also think the AHL will be much stronger if we don't have taxi squads and it may be a bit more difficult for him to earn significant playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad