Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #8

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #8 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
1.) Moritz Seider - RD - 20: 6'4" 207 lbs - RH Shot - Zell, GER - 96.2%
2.) Lucas Raymond - LW/RW - 19: 5'10"183 lbs - RH Shot - Goteborg, SWE - 85.1%
3.) Simon Edvinsson - LD - 18: 6'5" 207 lbs - LH Shot - Onsala, SWE - 70.1%
4.) Sebastian Cossa - G - 18: 6'6'' 212 lbs - LC catching glove - Fort McMurray, AL, CAN - 47.8%
5.) Jonatan Berggren - LW/RW- 21: 5'11'' 183 lbs - LH Shot - Uppsala, SWE - 75.5%
6.) Joe Veleno - C - 21: 6'1'' 194 lbs - LH Shot - Kirkland, QC, CAN - 69.1%
7.) Albert Johansson - D - 20: 6' 168 lbs - LH shot - Karistad, SWE - 85.5%

Albert's in the can, running away with 85% of the vote. Add is Chase Pearson. As of now, I'm excluding Nedeljkovic from the poll. Partly due to him already placing top3 in last season's calder voting, but also because his 23 games came in a 56 game season - a much higher percentage of games played than the typical 26/82 (in a normal season he paces to 33-34 games). As I said in my original reply to @jaster, the eligibility for the poll is calder eligibility and I have to agree with it. Adding Neds just feels like going against the spirit of the poll but, if you all want to argue it out and change my despotic mind, have at it. I will ask that if you vote for Neds to be added to also add a vote in case my decision isn't swayed by whatever arguments come my way.

Reactions: jaster

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Buium goes the dynamite! He's a bit of a project but I like the tools he brings to the table. When I saw him he looked competant in both zones. He was one of the few bright spots as Finland was systematically steamrolling the U.S. blue team.

Yzerman obviously saw something in him to trade up to get him.

Add fellow D.U. recruit, Mazur.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Onto the next tier of players here, and I have definitely seen less of the guys going forward here. Going with Niederbach. I've seen some stuff I like out of him.

Seems too late to add Nedeljkovic to me. I think he would have been in the conversation starting at 4 and adding him now throws all the results so far off

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Voting Sebrango again.

At this point, nobody left is guaranteed to make the league and Sebrango has the highest chance in my opinion even if he has a limited ceiling.

Add Red Savage, he'll make the league on name alone, lol.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Niederbach for me. I posted this last December:

Burke says Hakan Andersson told him people are going to be laughing in a few years about the Wings being able to draft Niederbach in the second round. (1:10:41)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think you could make a good case for any of Niederbach, Tuomisto, Buium, Soderblom, McIsaac, or Wallinder here.

I will go with Niederbach.

Add Alex Cotton

Reactions: Konnan511

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sebrango for me. I liked what I read about him soon after he was drafted, and his rapid ascent (yes, with some help from the pandemic) is further encouraging. I do have a small concern about some loss of offensive development by going pro too early, but this kid looks to be solid.

I like the upside of Niederbach, and even a true wild card like Wallinder, but their proximity is still too great for me. There's still too much opportunity for them to wash out. Guys like that can be fast risers on my personal list though, if they take the necessary, and critical, development steps in the next year or two. For now, they remain outside my top-10.

Reactions: Gniwder

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I went with Tuomisto. For me it was between Tuo and Mastrosimone. I like both of their upsides and I also like how they have proven themselves against NCAA competition thus far, which is not an easy league. I went with Tuo for his upside though.

As per Neiderbach, I like him alot and watched him play quite a bit. Still hasn't proven enough for me though. If he becomes an everyday player for Frolunda this year then my tone will definitely change next year.

Also add Givani Smith if he is still eligible. Some of those games with the Wings he looked like he could be a middle 6 winger.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This one is hard. We have plenty prospects and non of them seen. I have Mastersemone, this year for him boom or bust I hope is BOOM

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I think you could make a good case for any of Niederbach, Tuomisto, Buium, Soderblom, McIsaac, or Wallinder here.

I will go with Niederbach.

Add Alex Cotton

Viro isn't in that group?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Niederbach for me. I posted this last December:

Meh. Based on where he is and his role and his ice time I don't know if most of us will get to really see what Hakan is talking/laughing about until he perhaps starts to play in NA.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Viro, but it's close. I think that he has a chance to be a sneaky good prospect for us.

Very good skating, very good passing, surprisingly physical for a small guy. Pretty smart with and without the puck. And I think he's got some hidden offensive potential that we haven't seen yet.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, time to ramp up some discussion. Ya'll are boring.

Viro is over-rated.

There, I said it.

Ok, ok, he's not over-rated, per se. I mean, to me he is, and the rest of you are idiots, but I appreciate we all have our biases :laugh:

Stirring the pot aside, I'm just not a big fan of undersized defensemen outside the top-4. Small guys who can wheel but can't provide a meaningful amount of offense, nor defend well. Like, not a big fan of Stecher, I'm glad he's gone. Wait, he's still here? Damn it. I'm not saying that is what Viro is destined to be, but at the same time he's going to have to take a developmental leap on one end of the ice or the other for me to move him up in my rankings. I don't buy the "there's always a place for guys who can skate," since, well, there are tons of guys who can skate outside the NHL. Ya gotta do something more. This team isn't good enough to drag another Lebda to victory.

Alright, let's hear it. Come at me, bro.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well in about a weeks time, I think I have gone from thinking Tuomisto is overrated to thinking he’s underrated.

Viro over Tuomisto? I’m not seeing it. Even as someone who did not like that Tuomisto pick at all when it was made, and someone who has generally liked Viro.

I think even if Viro makes it, it would be as a pretty vanilla player. Tuomisto has tools to be more than that and has done pretty well since being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad