Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings 2021 Summer Prospect #3

Who do you think is the Detroit Red Wings #3 Overall Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1.) Moritz Seider - RD - 20: 6'4" 207 lbs - RH Shot - Zell, GER - 96.2%
2.) Lucas Raymond - LW/RW - 19: 5'10"183 lbs - RH Shot - Goteborg, SWE - 85.1%

Lucas Raymond takes home round #2 with another substantial margin win. Tuomisto the add over Mastro, McIsaac, Lindstrom and Soderblom.

As always vote, discuss and nominate your add for the next round.

Reactions: Realgud

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Edvinsson for me here by a comfortable margin.

Also approaching a point where Cossa might enter the discussion for me based on the combination of upside and importance that he represents.

I do think this is telling of our prospect pool, but I would add another D. McIsaac is my add. Mastro is right there with him, if that’s helpful at all.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Right now it's close between Edvinsson, Berggren, Veleno imo. I lean Edvinsson due to pedigree atp, he could runaway with this ranking by mid season but for me it's hard to really assess him having very limited viewings. I think Berggren and Veleno are decent bets to reach their potential as top 6 F's but Edvinsson seemingly having the higher ceiling (1D potential) wins my vote.

Add Soderblom

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Edvinsson for me. Cossa was close for me though cause upside and ceiling is about 90% importance to me when I vote for prospects and Cossa is a blue chipper to me.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
These Berggren votes are weird to me. What criteria are you guys voting on that have him over two potential blue chippers? Just how close he is to being ready and his floor of being a sure middle sixer? Not criticizing your votes, just curious what you value when voting.

Reactions: r0bert8841
Oct 18, 2006
These Berggren votes are weird to me. What criteria are you guys voting on that have him over two potential blue chippers? Just how close he is to being ready and his floor of being a sure middle sixer? Not criticizing your votes, just curious what you value when voting.
I think he’s Nyquist+. I think his skating and skill is such an exciting package. I’m just not very high on Evindsson, the decision making concerns me.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This is an imperfect way of sizing up our prospects, but I sometimes frame it like this-

Suppose we're making a trade for a young top six center. The opposing team's ask is Veleno, a 1st, and either Berggren or Edvinsson. Which are you more comfortable losing to get the deal done?

For me it's Berggren, without much hesitation frankly. Not to say he can't be a better player, but I'm more comfortable losing him than Edvinsson at this stage.

Reactions: BSHH and Go Wings

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is an imperfect way of sizing up our prospects, but I sometimes frame it like this-

Suppose we're making a trade for a young top six center. The opposing team's ask is Veleno, a 1st, and either Berggren or Edvinsson. Which are you more comfortable losing to get the deal done?

For me it's Berggren, without much hesitation frankly. Not to say he can't be a better player, but I'm more comfortable losing him than Edvinsson at this stage.
Because of upside or because of position?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Because of upside or because of position?

In this scenario? Both honestly. Position sort of speaks for itself, and even more than that I think Edvinsson is more likely to be an all-situations player than Berggren.

The upside question is probably closer, and honestly it's sort of tricky to isolate upside from position. I think the very, very best case for Berggren is a first line winger who transitions through the neutral zone effectively and utilizes his creativity to produce efficiently at 5v5 and on the powerplay. Best case for Edvinsson in my eyes is a two-way transition monster who can stifle opposition's top line and kills penalties, chipping in steady points and offering some option as a powerplay quarterback.

If either player becomes that we're popping champagne of course. I'd give Edvinsson the edge in terms of upside and likelihood of reaching it.

I don't think you mentioned floor, but I'd also favor Edvinsson there (being mindful of the three year gap in draft eligibility).

Reactions: Syckle78

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
In this scenario? Both honestly. Position sort of speaks for itself, and even more than that I think Edvinsson is more likely to be an all-situations player than Berggren.

The upside question is probably closer, and honestly it's sort of tricky to isolate upside from position. I think the very, very best case for Berggren is a first line winger who transitions through the neutral zone effectively and utilizes his creativity to produce efficiently at 5v5 and on the powerplay. Best case for Edvinsson in my eyes is a two-way transition monster who can stifle opposition's top line and kills penalties, chipping in steady points and offering some option as a powerplay quarterback.

If either player becomes that we're popping champagne of course. I'd give Edvinsson the edge in terms of upside and likelihood of reaching it.

I don't think you mentioned floor, but I'd also favor Edvinsson there (being mindful of the three year gap in draft eligibility).
I guess I'm just surprised to see people rating Berggren's ceiling so highly. I haven't been around much the last couple years and don't remember him being so highly thought of. Guess he's made some nice strides since being drafted, that's exciting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he’s Nyquist+. I think his skating and skill is such an exciting package. I’m just not very high on Evindsson, the decision making concerns me.

I see him as Nyquist- and he hasn't been developing in NA which is an advantage Nyquist had in my opinion. We covered this in the last one but I think people forget how good Nyquist was as a prospect and really how good he was when he first got to the league before they adjusted to his game when he became a chalk talk player. Now we will see, I think there was no player more hurt by Franzen going down than Nyquist, they had an unreal connection. Perhaps Berggren hits it off with someone and they stick together. For me I project him as a third liner still, he has the potential to be more, but he has to continue to make gains in terms of consistently getting to the middle of the ice. He is somewhat predictable in terms of what he tries to do so when NHL D-man figure that out where is his adjustment?

I can see being high on him. However, the other thing I would say is Berggren has been healthy one season. Sure it was a really good season, but a guy with injury issues going to a more physical league does concern me. I think he can be a player, he is the kind of guy we need to hit on and get more out of to get where we want to go. But while everyone reacts to the explosive season in the SHL, I have him at 6... So he isn't in front of either Cossa or Veleno for me. Now I will say he is a player that probably has the most upside to me in the mid-season poll as most of my questions I will have a much more comfortable (hopefully) feeling answering.

Top 6 players play top 4 D-man in this league. So that is the top 128 or let's just be generous and say 22 players outside of the league are on the lists. You are looking at one of the best 150 D-man in the world on most shifts. It is really hard to break those guys down, if you want to skate around on the outside where trouble doesn't happen a lot, they will leave you to do that. If you cut in at the wrong moment they will also knock you into next week. There are going to be some adjustments, the best D-man he faced last year was Seider, so for those about to pump up the SHL, I like the league I will continue to say I don't have it above the AHL and it is a different style of hockey. You can certainly make big gains there, I am happy to have prospects develop there, but I would start Berggren in the AHL and I don't necessarily expect him to be a powerhouse right away in the league. I hope he can be, that would change my thought process mid-season but for now I am unmoved to gamble on his one season over players I see having higher potential or really in the case of Veleno I believe a player with more flexibility and rounded NA game as the tie-breaker between the two.

I do hope Berggren has made some more gains on his shot this year. I think that will be big, he needs to be a true duel threat to get some more space, it will allow him to do more of his playmaking. This for me is what ultimately doomed Nyquist from being a bigger player than he was. Still he was first liner for a pretty significant chunk of his career, holding time there at all three stops. We talk about Nyquist and Tatar as failures at times when that is kind of wrong. They weren't the guys to pick up the mantle and carry your team, but they certainly were useful top 6 players and have been since departing minus Tatar's disaster year in Vegas. If Bergreen is a legit threat from 35 to 50 feet on occasion it will open a lot more passing lanes for him and might let him play his game a little more. That is how he takes that next level. I don't really see him as more promising than those previous two though, frankly being them would be a boost to the rebuild if it is in a second line or third line capacity and slotted correctly on hopefully a much better team...

For the upcoming PP debate

Raymond, Zadina, Vrana...

Now if you want to keep Hronek long term he is in an outside flank position since he struggles terribly at the top. Larkin at times plays out wide though I wish he could excel more as the bumper. This is assuming you don't draft anybody else which we certainly will in the next couple drafts or sign someone which at some point Stevie is going to go in a little heavier, probably next off-season by the looks of things... So anybody else starting see the problem here? Forgive me if I don't see this ample PP time coming. Hopefully he outkicks the coverage and does, but some of these projections are a little hard to follow on Berggren for me right now.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Edvinsson this time around. Can't wait to see what he can do this season.

Add Mastrosimone

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I must be late to the party but I'll still ask... Why doesn't Veleno have more votes?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I must be late to the party but I'll still ask... Why doesn't Veleno have more votes?

We have blue-chip prospects in the pool now, I actually see this as a good development.

The upside on our top 3, well really Seider has begun to realize some of these already but we can just say upside wise. #1 D, top 3 offensive player on a contending team and #1 winger, #1 D. At least for me that is why I have them ahead.

Reactions: Ricelund

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Berggren is also a blue chipper. And he’s close to realizing that scoring potential.

Reactions: jfrank21

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I guess I'm just surprised to see people rating Berggren's ceiling so highly. I haven't been around much the last couple years and don't remember him being so highly thought of. Guess he's made some nice strides since being drafted, that's exciting.

He had a very good season in the SHL.

I will say I'm surprised to see a contingent of fans here who rate him above Raymond and Edvinsson. My sentiment lines up pretty closely with what TZE wrote above, and realistically I see him as a middle six playmaker. Of course I hope his biggest believers are right - it'd be a real boon for our rebuild.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2