Detroit Red Wings 2013 draft preview

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I'm a big fan of this draft. There's lots of talent and a few players with holes in their game that, if worked on, can become key players to any team.

When I saw Pulock as their likely pick on HF, I shook my head. Detroit has so many good D-men and don't need to waste a pick on a one dimensional guy just because he has a good shot. I a mock draft having Detroit pick Wennberg and figured it's probably just because he's Swedish.

What I would like to see Detroit do is either keep their pick and draft a top 6 forward like Curtis Lazar OR trade the pick and try to get (D) Ian McCoshen and (F) Mike McCarron.

McCoshen is considered a very good 2-way D-man, but probably translates as a Defensive defenseman who plays a physical game. McCarron to me looks like David Backes re-encarnated. Big guy, nice hands and if he can put it together consistantly will be a top 6 power forward.

There's a lot of good players in this draft, but Detroit needs to pick a legitimate top 6 forward and that's going to be tough to project at pick 18 and beyond.
It all depends where the extra second rounder is, if it's 30-35th overall it's very interesting, also, how much lower will the 1st be if they trade down? If it's a 1st rounder at all. It could also be interesting if Montreal who has 2 picks, if im not mistaken 32nd and 34th are willing to trade them... that would mean 18th+48th or 32nd+34th+48th... what would detroit choose.....

I don't think they will or should trade down though, there WILL be a player who falls in the top17, which would mean there will be a very intriguing player at 18 for detroit to pick

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm a big fan of this draft. There's lots of talent and a few players with holes in their game that, if worked on, can become key players to any team.

When I saw Pulock as their likely pick on HF, I shook my head. Detroit has so many good D-men and don't need to waste a pick on a one dimensional guy just because he has a good shot. I a mock draft having Detroit pick Wennberg and figured it's probably just because he's Swedish.

What I would like to see Detroit do is either keep their pick and draft a top 6 forward like Curtis Lazar OR trade the pick and try to get (D) Ian McCoshen and (F) Mike McCarron.

McCoshen is considered a very good 2-way D-man, but probably translates as a Defensive defenseman who plays a physical game. McCarron to me looks like David Backes re-encarnated. Big guy, nice hands and if he can put it together consistantly will be a top 6 power forward.

There's a lot of good players in this draft, but Detroit needs to pick a legitimate top 6 forward and that's going to be tough to project at pick 18 and beyond.

If we pick at 18, I want to see BPA, even if that means Pulock or Morrissey. I know that most cringe at the idea of a defensemen at 18, but that is how BPA works. I have warmed a bit on Lazar but am still not sold on him being a top six forward as you suggest. I am not opposed to trading down, but am not expecting to see it this year.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Wennberg is a heck of a player; I think you'd be surprised. He's got more upside than any North American player past about pick 12. His Swedishness is just a happy coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad