Detroit Red Wings 2013 draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Detroit Red Wings 2013 NHL Draft position should pique the interest of even the most jaded Wings fan. Detroit holds the 18th overall selection, their highest pick since the organization took Martin Lapointe with the 10th overall in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft. Considering that the Red Wings did not have a first round selection in the 2009, 2011, and 2012 NHL Drafts, having the 18th overall pick in a year that features what is generally considered to be a very deep draft class is cause for excitement.

Detroit's gradual accumulation of high-end prospects was finally seen by fans of the NHL club during the 2012-13 season, in which Gustav Nyquist, Joakim Andersson, and Brendan Smith among others made their case to stay with the big club for the foreseeable future.… read more

More...

RedWingsNow*

I thought the NHL changed the draft order to reflect playoff finishes.
If Detroit was in the final eight, wouldn't our pick be 22nd at best?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Another weakness of Detroit's prospect pool is the lack of prospects that are long-term projects, players who are still a number of years away from being ready for NHL hockey. There are a number of talented prospects who will play for the Grand Rapids Griffins in 2013-14 who are very close to NHL-ready, but there simply are not many prospects currently in the Wings system who are farther down the pipeline.
This seems like an odd weakness. Typically, distance from the NHL is taken to be a negative quality in a prospect. It's almost to say that a weakness of Detroit's prospect pool is that their prospect pool is too strong.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This seems like an odd weakness. Typically, distance from the NHL is taken to be a negative quality in a prospect. It's almost to say that a weakness of Detroit's prospect pool is that their prospect pool is too strong.

Yeah that makes very little sense, just think they need to find weaknesses, they keep bumping them down in the rankings around here too. But it is interesting, especially since we have maybe the best long-term project in Ryan Sproul in all of hockey as well. Tvrdon is exciting, Marchenko, Almqvist, the big goalie we just signed.

I think you can pick on the high end talent angle, though I think they are better there than some want to admit.

There is something to be said for talent blocking the development within. Like certain players need bigger roles than they are being tasked with in our system in terms of development.

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
hoping we don't draft pulock or any D-man with our first pick. would rather draft sizeable forwards , and in the later rounds get whatever we see fit. but big forwards should be our priority.

Jul 30, 2005
With a right handed shot for the love of all that is holy!

Also, I think we need another goalie, researching the ones in our system was frightening and the backup in GR is gone/toast as a prospect afaict.
Paterson is a pretty good goalie. Apparently he's really impressing Hockey Canada again.

and Jared Coreau is. um. really big. So he's got that going for him.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Paterson is a pretty good goalie. Apparently he's really impressing Hockey Canada again.

and Jared Coreau is. um. really big. So he's got that going for him.

Lol, writing a prospects article on RW goalies now and I swear to you that's all I could find either. "He's big, he played in college" :)

Yeah, there's actually a fair amount of info out about Paterson; they gave him one of his own 4 minute prospect videos not that long ago. You can find it on Youtube, some very nice things about him said.

With that noted; it's probably a good idea to have more than one guy in the system at a give time. I think we all know Mrazek is coming up the year after next and the other two guys in the system (who aren't Paterson or Coreau) won't be in the system much longer afaict.

I also have to admit, I have a huge goalie fetish. :) Someone else to track on off nights would be nice :)

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lol, writing a prospects article on RW goalies now and I swear to you that's all I could find either. "He's big, he played in college" :)

Yeah, there's actually a fair amount of info out about Paterson; they gave him one of his own 4 minute prospect videos not that long ago. You can find it on Youtube, some very nice things about him said.

With that noted; it's probably a good idea to have more than one guy in the system at a give time. I think we all know Mrazek is coming up the year after next and the other two guys in the system (who aren't Paterson or Coreau) won't be in the system much longer afaict.

I also have to admit, I have a huge goalie fetish. :) Someone else to track on off nights would be nice :)

Paterson has the inside track to be the starting goalie for the Canadian WJC effort. It is basically down to him and Fucale.

Coreau basically was playing through an injury and with a terrible team. Actually having heard the injury news that was encouraging to me, his numbers while carrying an injury most would get shelved for in the NHL were pretty good

Despite playing with a damaged labrum, the Perth, Ontario, native started every game last season for the Wildcats, recording a 15-19-4 record with a 2.70 goals against average and a .919 save percentage.

The surgery was to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder that he’d dealt with for a few years, Coreau said.

“I had it for a while,” said Coreau, of the shoulder injury. “Actually, as a junior, it was the best year. It was stronger than ever. It’s kind of a thing that needs to be strengthened all of the time and I had a trainer take care of that. This way I won’t have to worry about it. It will be pretty much better than the old one.”

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=667665

We will see he is certainly a prospect, but this is as healthy as we have been on prospects in a while. Personally would hold off another year before drafting another one. If they do draft one it should probably be one they can stash as an overager when he is 20.

hoping we don't draft pulock or any D-man with our first pick. would rather draft sizeable forwards , and in the later rounds get whatever we see fit. but big forwards should be our priority.

In all likelihood if Pulock is there at 18 he is the BPA. They should pick him, dealing from a position of strength is never a bad thing, as long as you get value. Why Pulock is slipping is beyond me, physical kid with one of the best shots I have seen and great leadership. He also killed the vert jump which is something teams directly attribute to explosiveness in stride and a great first step. Don't get too alarmed with his stats dropping on the the team he played for they were awful. I actually kind of hope he does fall, he would be a great pickup.

Last edited:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Paterson has the inside track to be the starting goalie for the Canadian WJC effort. It is basically down to him and Fucale.

Coreau basically was playing through an injury and with a terrible team. Actually having heard the injury news that was encouraging to me, his numbers while carrying an injury most would get shelved for in the NHL were pretty good

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=667665

We will see he is certainly a prospect, but this is as healthy as we have been on prospects in a while. Personally would hold off another year before drafting another one. If they do draft one it should probably be one they can stash as an overager when he is 20.

In all likelihood if Pulock is there at 18 he is the BPA. They should pick him, dealing from a position of strength is never a bad thing, as long as you get value. Why Pulock is slipping is beyond me, physical kid with one of the best shots I have seen and great leadership. He also killed the vert jump which is something teams directly attribute to explosiveness in stride and a great first step. Don't get too alarmed with his stats dropping on the the team he played for they were awful. I actually kind of hope he does fall, he would be a great pickup.

I will agree with the idea that you can NEVER have too many defensemen but I must admit TZA; I'm VERY new to watching junior hockey prospects (this spring basically).

Typically my attitude has been to wait until someone from the organization says "he's on the radar" and after we've drafted him. It is however great fun and I'm reading/learning a lot. That having been noted; I have almost NO clue who Pulock is. Off to search out youtube videos now. Thanks :)

Edit: Oh and because I have family in Windsor, I was ACTIVELY angry Cam Fowler didn't drop to us after "some guy on ESPN" predicted he might :) Still, not a junior hockey veteran watcher... yet :)

Jul 30, 2005
Scouting reports on Pulock are so, so very schizophrenic. He's either an amazing talent or a 7th defenseman. That said, I think that's the sort of pick the Wings should think about making. It won't be difficult to fill roster spots with decent talent from now on.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Scouting reports on Pulock are so, so very schizophrenic. He's either an amazing talent or a 7th defenseman. That said, I think that's the sort of pick the Wings should think about making. It won't be difficult to fill roster spots with decent talent from now on.

My thinking on defense prospects these days is that they're a lot like goalies: you want them big, mobile and with good awareness/positioning. The rest will sort itself out through competition back on the farm.

Realize that's a simplistic view of things AND the same logic lead us to draft Brendan Smith. Personally however I still think Smith is going to work out and I'm fine with constantly drafting 6'2" guys with wheels and just hoping one every other year works out. #ClearlyIShouldBeAnNHLGM :)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpCGb35m46g - looks like he has a great point shot and makes stretch passes in his sleep. Seabrook-esque even. (although he doesn't look like much of a skater. Word is also that he put on some muscle since that video was made; which would theoretically improve his skating).

Last edited:

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Don't we also have 7th from Stuart trade?

edit. it's next year's, nvm.

stuart trade? damn and the huskins as well .. 3 7th rounders next year , to bad we just pick up 7th round picks:( lol shoulda traded white and filppula when we had the chance

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My thinking on defense prospects these days is that they're a lot like goalies: you want them big, mobile and with good awareness/positioning. The rest will sort itself out through competition back on the farm.

Realize that's a simplistic view of things AND the same logic lead us to draft Brendan Smith. Personally however I still think Smith is going to work out and I'm fine with constantly drafting 6'2" guys with wheels and just hoping one every other year works out. #ClearlyIShouldBeAnNHLGM :)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpCGb35m46g - looks like he has a great point shot and makes stretch passes in his sleep. Seabrook-esque even. (although he doesn't look like much of a skater. Word is also that he put on some muscle since that video was made; which would theoretically improve his skating).

6'1" 211lbs and likes contact. Captain of his team in his draft year. Really I think the best comparison is Mike Green in terms of players playing in the league. In fact Green didn't show near this amount of offense when he was as young. Pulock in what some are calling a disappointing campaign just matched Green's best goal figures from his WHL days.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
6'1" 211lbs and likes contact. Captain of his team in his draft year. Really I think the best comparison is Mike Green in terms of players playing in the league.

That's a comparison I could live with if we get him :) Estimated percentage chance this is just the media toying with me again ala Fowler? :(

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's a comparison I could live with if we get him :) Estimated percentage chance this is just the media toying with me again ala Fowler? :(

Fowler really fell a bunch just to get drafted where he was, the Wings had very little chance on ever getting him. Still stunned he fell all the way to 12. I think most would have bet all their earthly possessions that he would be a top 10 pick, so curious how you thought the Wings were winding up with him?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Fowler really fell a bunch just to get drafted where he was, the Wings had very little chance on ever getting him. Still stunned he fell all the way to 12. I think most would have bet all their earthly possessions that he would be a top 10 pick, so curious how you thought the Wings were winding up with him?

This might take a moment to find, but it was in a draft preview article just before he was taken; the writer noted that he was falling rapidly (just like here) and had started the offseason around about number 5. Having actually *seen* Fowler play in person, that got me all excited. Link incoming whenever I can find it (I swear it existed).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I don't get the hyper divergent views either. Some think he has great hockey IQ and others think he makes too many questionable decisions. Some think he is physical and others think he could stand to hit more. Some think he skates great while others just think he is average. The reports really are all over the place. My gut tells me he may just be falling from overexposure and being under the magnifying glass on a team with not much around him.

I agree though that there is a very good chance that Pulock or Morrissey will be BPA at 18. I really don't know how exactly I feel about that.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I wanted Bjugstad in the worst way in Fowler's year anyway. But still don't see how Fowler drops all the way to 21.

I am looking and not finding it. I'm going to assume it was wishful thinking on the part of a Windsor Star writer; that would easily have been the least credible paper I read regularly at the time. Also they don't seem to archive much on the web.

To be honest the only reason I remembered is because he was a name I knew from an actual hockey game; I catch Spitfires games whenever I'm in town to visit my mother. Oh well, I'm not gonna pretend I'm not greedy: I want the best players for our team and I knew he was REALLY good :)

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
id consider trading down say if mtl offered there 26th and 34 or 36 pick for our 18 and just try and draft 3 power forwards with our picks

maybe exagerating but heck even after that if say sj called and offered there 49-50 for our 26th id even consider doing that and ending up with picks 34 48 49 50 and just go nuts and try and draft power forwards like bailey,sanford,fasching and hayden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad