9.) Mattias Bäckman - 20, D: 6'2" 176 lbs. Linköping, SWE 55.42%
10.) Landon Ferraro - 21, C/RW: 6'0 179 lbs. Burnaby, BC, CAN 30.23%
11.) Teemu Pulkkinen - 21, RW: 5'10" 198 lbs. Vantaa, FIN 30.28%
12.) Alexei Marchenko - 21, RD: 6'2" 183 lbs. Moscow, RUS 35.71%
13.) Nick Jensen - 22, RD: 6'1" 194 lbs. Rogers, MN, USA 57.69%
14.) Andreas Athanasiou - 18, LW: 6'2" 187 lbs. Mississauga, ON, CAN 38.04%
15.) Adam Almqvist - 22, D: 5'11" 174 lbs. Jönköping, SWE 40.51%
16.) Marek Tvrdoň - 20, LW: 6'2" 218 lbs. Nitra, SVK 51.25

Tvrdon pulled away for big edge, and Aubry is the add. Hopefully Tvrdon's health issues can be put behind him, a lot of talent and some pretty good size, curious to see what he weighs in at with the Griffins having missed some time and ordered not to exercise for a while. Still when he is on the ice he scores, plays pretty big and skates well for a kid his size. My favorite project in the system, he could make it in a very big way, hope Jurco is ready to mentor him and he makes Grand Rapids out of camp.

Vote and offer up an add if you have one.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Janmark, Paterson and Glendening is tough. Janmark if you're to believe the Wings has some top 6 upside and really exploded on the scene in Sweden. I like what I have heard about Janmark and his upside a great deal. Glendening is a hard guy to play against that works every shift and has an NHL future. Paterson would be a much bigger deal to us if Mrazek wasn't already in the system. I think all three are a cut above Zach Nastasiuk.

Going Janmark here by a hair, really kind of a toss up, think he has a big season in Sweden.

Add Nicastro, really unfortunate that he is blocked, he looked pretty good when he was in Grand Rapids last year, was probably Smith's best partnership in the couple games they played together. Big, mean, and strong just the numbers game is not in his favor. However, a 6'3" 225 lbs stay at home guy with a right hand shot that relishes contact, skates pretty well and has a decent first pass. He is the kind of guy we beg about getting on the big club.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Janmark, Glendening next followed by Paterson.

I really like Janmark, I've got a feeling he's going to explode this year & move up the rankings.

I like Glendening's readiness & he has a great playoffs but I've got to go with Janmark. Same can be said for Paterson, I think after this year we could have 2 of the top 15/20 goalie prospects.

I'd like to see Coreau as the add.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Went with Janmark, was a tough choice between Glendeninng/Janmark/Paterson for me, boom or bust but I like his potential.

RedWingsNow*

Honestly, Janmark has almost no shot at a career in Detroit with our numbers.

Voted Paterson. Add Pope.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly, Janmark has almost no shot at a career in Detroit with our numbers.

Voted Paterson. Add Pope.

We're at # 17.... Most of these guys don't have a great shot, at this point.

He has some things in his favor. He's a 6'1" 191 lb center with some skill, and got a look with the national team. He was also a nominee for SEL Rooke of the year.

Doesn't matter if we have a lot of center/forwards in our pipeline, if he is good enough he can start to leap-frog people.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
so by voting janmark ahead of nastasiuk (and little bert too i guess), are we saying we're smarter than the wings front office? or are people assuming that the front office might be spit on these two players eg hakan thinks janmark is the better prospect, while joe mcdonnell might think nastasiuk is better? not saying its wrong to disagree with the front office, just wondering what people think ...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
so by voting janmark ahead of nastasiuk (and little bert too i guess), are we saying we're smarter than the wings front office? or are people assuming that the front office might be spit on these two players eg hakan thinks janmark is the better prospect, while joe mcdonnell might think nastasiuk is better? not saying its wrong to disagree with the front office, just wondering what people think ...

You do realize that our #1 and #7 prospect in these rankings were taken in the same draft right? And our #1 (Jarnkrok) was the 2nd rounder, while our #7 (Sheahan) was the 1st rounder. We usually have more success drafting in Europe over North America, and while Hakan's not perfect, he's pretty damn good.

If you read the reports from Hakan on Janmark, over at RWC and other places, he seems pretty high on the kid. Would not surprise me at all if he's another "Hakan steal".

RedWingsNow*

We're at # 17.... Most of these guys don't have a great shot, at this point.

He has some things in his favor. He's a 6'1" 191 lb center with some skill, and got a look with the national team. He was also a nominee for SEL Rooke of the year.

Doesn't matter if we have a lot of center/forwards in our pipeline, if he is good enough he can start to leap-frog people.

I think a guy like Paterson has possibility as a backup. A guy like Nasty has some room to be a grind liner.

I don't see Janmark as a top 6 center, especially not with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Jarnkrok signed here for the next 4 years
With Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader, Ferraro... etc, I dont' see much room for Janmark in the bottom six.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
You do realize that our #1 and #7 prospect in these rankings were taken in the same draft right? And our #1 (Jarnkrok) was the 2nd rounder, while our #7 (Sheahan) was the 1st rounder. We usually have more success drafting in Europe over North America, and while Hakan's not perfect, he's pretty damn good.

If you read the reports from Hakan on Janmark, over at RWC and other places, he seems pretty high on the kid. Would not surprise me at all if he's another "Hakan steal".

yes, but we have additional data for those players since they were drafted a long time ago. certainly calle's track record in the SEL is more impressive than sheahans college career. but i don't think that if we did this poll in the summer of 2010 jarnkrok would be ranked ahead of sheahan. the guys who were just drafted haven't played any meaningful games, thus no additional data.

i'm just asking why people are ranking janmark ahead of our second rounders. it sounds like you are putting more stock into hakan than others on the draft team? i think that is reasonable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
yes, but we have additional data for those players since they were drafted a long time ago. certainly calle's track record in the SEL is more impressive than sheahans college career. but i don't think that if we did this poll in the summer of 2010 jarnkrok would be ranked ahead of sheahan. the guys who were just drafted haven't played any meaningful games, thus no additional data.

i'm just asking why people are ranking janmark ahead of our second rounders. it sounds like you are putting more stock into hakan than others on the draft team? i think that is reasonable.

Well it would because situations like these have played out.

Sheahan was drafted in the 1st then Hakan got Jarnkrok in the 2nd and turned out to be a better prospect.

Hakan got Nyquist with the last pick of the 4th and he leap frogged just about everyone in front of him.

He took Ericsson with the last pick in the draft; he ended up on the wings pretty quick considering.

Then there's those Datsyuk and Zetterberg guys...

After awhile you start to value those picks that come from Hakan a little bit more. When he targets a guy in the first 3 rounds, then has a lot of praise to say about him, that looks like a strong pick to most.

Also most people, myself included, value "ceiling" over "safe bet" in these types of polls. Nastasiuk is more likely to be an NHLer in a bottom 6 grinder capacity, while if Janmark makes it it is likely as a top 6 forward. That matters more to some people.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think a guy like Paterson has possibility as a backup. A guy like Nasty has some room to be a grind liner.

I don't see Janmark as a top 6 center, especially not with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Jarnkrok signed here for the next 4 years
With Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader, Ferraro... etc, I dont' see much room for Janmark in the bottom six.

You make a fair point, and I can see where you're coming from.

But there was a lot of people in front of Nyquist when he was drafted too. If you're good enough it doesn't matter.

Johnz96*

It's not just that we have more data on them, the players have grown and developed since they have been drafted. Some grow and develop more than others so someone who was better than someone else when they were 18, may not be better than him at 21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad