Proposal: Detroit | NYI

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I mean, if you look at the five teams with the least cap space in the league right now according to capfriendly, it's St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, and Detroit. Only one of those teams is in a rebuild.

Detroit has been banging their head on the cap ceiling since the cap first came into place. Unless Chris Illitch says or indicates otherwise, that likely ain't gonna change, regardless whether we are rebuilding or not.

If anything, Holland uses the cap savings here to sign an Emelin or worse.

Edit: Apparantly its hard to literally bang your head on the cap ceiling:D

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I do miss Frans and his Backhand of Justice but that's just too much dough and we're moving in a different direction - moving on from the JT years. Time to get younger and make this Barzal's squad.

Let's re-visit this "Nelson for a 2nd" premise though at some point...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I do miss Frans and his Backhand of Justice but that's just too much dough and we're moving in a different direction - moving on from the JT years. Time to get younger and make this Barzal's squad.

Let's re-visit this "Nelson for a 2nd" premise though at some point...

People really need to let it go with Frans or any other ex-Isle. Loved Frans and everything he did and meant to us... we are on a different path now.

We need to start cleaning up the contract mess that Snow put together. Subtract, not add.

Reactions: IODCPiper

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This boggles my mind. Wing's fans on here trying to drive home the point that they "don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin". It's like their entire fan base is an example of a bad argument pitch.

Is Dylan Larkin really the be all end all to the Wing's team building strategy? Because you don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin, ergo, you don't need cap space for any other reason? I'm by no means saying anybody should be thrilled with the OP's proposal, but to have Wing's fans shooting it down because of that one silly thing is incredibly naive. There's absolutely nobody else you would like to have the cash to sign or trade for in the upcoming season?!?!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
People really need to let it go with Frans or any other ex-Isle. Loved Frans and everything he did and meant to us... we are on a different path now.

We need to start cleaning up the contract mess that Snow put together. Subtract, not add.

Frans Nielsen was my favorite Islander when he played for us and he was the last personalized Islander's jersey I ever bought. With that said, forgot about him a long time ago. Wish him well in Detroit, but the ship has sailed on what he would bring to the Islanders, other than nostalgia. We already know nostalgia doesn't win hockey games, lol.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This boggles my mind. Wing's fans on here trying to drive home the point that they "don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin". It's like their entire fan base is an example of a bad argument pitch.

Is Dylan Larkin really the be all end all to the Wing's team building strategy? Because you don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin, ergo, you don't need cap space for any other reason? I'm by no means saying anybody should be thrilled with the OP's proposal, but to have Wing's fans shooting it down because of that one silly thing is incredibly naive. There's absolutely nobody else you would like to have the cash to sign or trade for in the upcoming season?!?!

I'm not necessarily sure people are "Shooting it down" as opposed to saying it's not necessary as they don't need the space.

Next season we could potentially be paying 9 players $19M. So while people think we're in some type of cap hell, we could actually have a lot to work with.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The original offer was the same. The isles add overpriced aging vets (which they have no use for) and move out, younger/cap friendly deals.
agreed, Frans Nielsen isnt even a quality player any longer and with his 6M base salary he is a pure cap dump at this point even his once great faceoff skills have fallen to brock nelson levels and Johan franzen at 3.95 M makes this a 10M mistake for the Islanders Brock Nelson , Mayfield and Dal Colle arent much but they are much cheaper ans younger than the geriatric Fanzen and Nielsen . then when you consider that Nielsen has 4 more years on his deal and that Franzen has 2 more, you truly understand how bad this deal is... a 2nd round pick doesnt balance this out. detroit would need to add Zadina at the minimum, and since they are rebuilding too that defeats the purpose. they can keep their own cap dumps. and we'll keep our own

its truly amazing how many old players the red wings have on long term deals, between Nielsen, Franzen, Helm, Abdelkader Ericsson and Dailey and even 37 year old Zetterberg having 3 more years, but at least Henrik is still productive. Lamourello has added Komorov for his work ethic. but thats one high energy guy, who like Zetterberg works hard and he is 6 years younger at half the salary, so like Henrik he'll probably age well.

its Ladd and Boychuck we have to worry about, but yeah zero interest in adding Nielsen and Franzen

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Nelson for Nyquist + Jensen, would that be an acceptable trade?
not really, Nelson still makes less than Nyquist, and provides similar production and Jensen is just roster filler.

the hope is that Trotz will be smart enough to play Nelson on the wing instead of center. where his elite level shot can be properly utilized

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
agreed, Frans Nielsen isnt even a quality player any longer and with his 6M base salary he is a pure cap dump at this point even his once great faceoff skills have fallen to brock nelson levels and Johan franzen at 3.95 M makes this a 10M mistake for the Islanders Brock Nelson , Mayfield and Dal Colle arent much but they are much cheaper ans younger than the geriatric Fanzen and Nielsen . then when you consider that Nielsen has 4 more years on his deal and that Franzen has 2 more, you truly understand how bad this deal is... a 2nd round pick doesnt balance this out. detroit would need to add Zadina at the minimum, and since they are rebuilding too that defeats the purpose. they can keep their own cap dumps. and we'll keep our own

its truly amazing how many old players the red wings have on long term deals, between Nielsen, Franzen, Helm, Abdelkader Ericsson and Dailey and even 37 year old Zetterberg having 3 more years, but at least Henrik is still productive. Lamourello has added Komorov for his work ethic. but thats one high energy guy, who like Zetterberg works hard and he is 6 years younger at half the salary, so like Henrik he'll probably age well.

its Ladd and Boychuck we have to worry about, but yeah zero interest in adding Nielsen and Franzen
I highly doubt Lou is taking on those deals too with the stockpile of future talent in the pipeline. Both Trotz/Lou have stated they want to be competitive but they don't want to sacrifice the future to do so unless its EK65 or someone of that high-end talent coming back. Camp is going to be interesting this year with Nelson, Komarov, Filppula, Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Johnston, Kuhnhackl, Ho-Sang, Bellows and Kovar all essentially fighting for 7 forward spots (8 if you count the 13F). I'm guessing someone gets let go similar to the Parenteau ordeal a few seasons back.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
From Detroit:
Frans Nielsen
Johan Franzen
2019 2nd Rd Pick (Islanders previous pick)

From NYI:
Brock Nelson
Scott Mayfield
Michael Dal Colle

I believe that Detroit needs to save some cap space and the Islanders would prefer someone else at center other than Brock Nelson. Although he still has upside in the sense that he produces consistent yearly numbers.

Saves Detroit almost 5 million in cap space to help resign Larkin and Islanders get a returning face who is a bit overpaid but is a solid 2 way center along with their 2nd round pick back.

Not sure how far value is off, but I think a trade between the 2 teams is a possibility.
I said this in a recent Okposo to LI thread...I do not wanr ex-islanders on lousy contracts back. That includes Frans.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Nelson for Nyquist + Jensen, would that be an acceptable trade?
Is Jensen still a serviceable defenseman or is he a 6/7 at best on a team lacking blueline depth? The Isles have no need for more bottom pairing defensemen with Mayfield, Pelech, Hickey, Aho and Toews (who's expected to make the roster). Nyquist creates another issue in himself adding more wingers into the mix, who shouldnt play top 6 minutes anymore but are forced to.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Detroit takes on $9M in cap dumps, NYI gets the best player, and yet Detroit adds the pick...
and yet you were perfectly fine with sending us Franzen And Nielsen who are 10 Million in cap dumps and are considerably older as well. As a counter offer Id say thats much more fair than the original. So I guess you have no problem when its Your team doing the dumping, but you get upset when its yours being dumped on?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
This thread amuses me.

Cap space is the most important thing in the world on HFBoards. You need that cap space to sign free agents like Frans Nielsen.

The second you sign guys like Frans Nielsen, their value becomes less than zero and you need to try your hardest to GIVE them away... so that you have cap space... to sign guys like Frans Nielsen.

Just so you can work your hardest to get rid of that cap dump.

repeat.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I highly doubt Lou is taking on those deals too with the stockpile of future talent in the pipeline. Both Trotz/Lou have stated they want to be competitive but they don't want to sacrifice the future to do so unless its EK65 or someone of that high-end talent coming back. Camp is going to be interesting this year with Nelson, Komarov, Filppula, Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Johnston, Kuhnhackl, Ho-Sang, Bellows and Kovar all essentially fighting for 7 forward spots (8 if you count the 13F). I'm guessing someone gets let go similar to the Parenteau ordeal a few seasons back.

Lou has said it's an evaluation season, which means rebuild to me. While the door is open for the Isles to be a Cinderella team if everything comes together magically, they're likely going to be relatively bad. Trotz will have them playing hard every night and they'll be a pain in the ass to play against, they just lack the high end talent to win consistently. Too many question marks on defense and in goal. The Isles have a ton of pending UFA's and some with real value. I see Lee, Eberle, Nelson, and possible Lehner dealt for picks and prospects. The kids waiting in line like Bellows and Ho-Sang get their half season to audition for next season.

Stockpile talent at the draft with likely multiple 1sts and 2nds with one possibly top-5ish. Wahlstrom and Dobson could very well be in the mix in 2019-2020. Lou takes on the Russian Mob and gets Sorokin over. The Isles will have a ton of cap space and the assets to make a trade of maybe even sign someone of significance.

Suddenly the Isles are a young team worth watching again.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This thread amuses me.

Cap space is the most important thing in the world on HFBoards. You need that cap space to sign free agents like Frans Nielsen.

The second you sign guys like Frans Nielsen, their value becomes less than zero and you need to try your hardest to GIVE them away... so that you have cap space... to sign guys like Frans Nielsen.

Just so you can work your hardest to get rid of that cap dump.

repeat.
I look at the ufa contracts signed by Ladd, KO and Nielsen and do not think even one of those contracts is being earned. Loved KO &Frans when they were nyi,but do not want either declining, overpaid player back

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lou has said it's an evaluation season, which means rebuild to me. While the door is open for the Isles to be a Cinderella team if everything comes together magically, they're likely going to be relatively bad. Trotz will have them playing hard every night and they'll be a pain in the ass to play against, they just lack the high end talent to win consistently. Too many question marks on defense and in goal. The Isles have a ton of pending UFA's and some with real value. I see Lee, Eberle, Nelson, and possible Lehner dealt for picks and prospects. The kids waiting in line like Bellows and Ho-Sang get their half season to audition for next season.

Stockpile talent at the draft with likely multiple 1sts and 2nds with one possibly top-5ish. Wahlstrom and Dobson could very well be in the mix in 2019-2020. Lou takes on the Russian Mob and gets Sorokin over. The Isles will have a ton of cap space and the assets to make a trade of maybe even sign someone of significance.

Suddenly the Isles are a young team worth watching again.
exactly. the additions this year are just to protect barzal and to provide structure, so that the team doesnt look like a trash heap. they need some type of framework to maximize the value of their movable assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad