Proposal: Detroit | NYI

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
From Detroit:
Frans Nielsen
Johan Franzen
2019 2nd Rd Pick (Islanders previous pick)

From NYI:
Brock Nelson
Scott Mayfield
Michael Dal Colle

I believe that Detroit needs to save some cap space and the Islanders would prefer someone else at center other than Brock Nelson. Although he still has upside in the sense that he produces consistent yearly numbers.

Saves Detroit almost 5 million in cap space to help resign Larkin and Islanders get a returning face who is a bit overpaid but is a solid 2 way center along with their 2nd round pick back.

Not sure how far value is off, but I think a trade between the 2 teams is a possibility.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
What does the Isles get from this? Nielsen back on a contract worse than they were offering him in the first place? A 2nd to take on Franzen and his cap hit?

Nelson is probably worth a late 1st on his own to a contender at the deadline so there is nothing in this for us.
If the Wings are seriously looking to shed salary you have to pay properly. A 1st and nice prospect is where it starts probably

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Neither team does this.
If I were Detroit I'd do this in a heartbeat tbh. Even if you don't want to lose the second you can trade Nelson for a first at the deadline and go into the summer with a tremendous amount of cap relief and a higher pick.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I think it’s hilarious that fans from every team in the league is worried about the Wings Cap Space and them signing Larkin

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
What does the Isles get from this? Nielsen back on a contract worse than they were offering him in the first place? A 2nd to take on Franzen and his cap hit?

Nelson is probably worth a late 1st on his own to a contender at the deadline so there is nothing in this for us.
If the Wings are seriously looking to shed salary you have to pay properly. A 1st and nice prospect is where it starts probably

I'm an Islander fan and was trying to be as little of a homer as I could be and I'm sure I steered into the positive value for Detroit, however do you think there's a deal that could work here? I know Nielsen is overpaid, but I do admit I miss him here and would be willing to retake on the contract if the deal was right.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Been explained numerous times on here already, Detroit don't need to move out cap to resign Larkin.

No interest in sacrificing what looks like could be a real early 2nd to get rid of a contract that isn't currently causing any problems nor should it into the foreseeable future. Nielsen isn't great by any means but he isn't currently blocking anybody and is a solid placeholder at 3C until one of the kids is ready to take over in a couple years.

If you want him now you'll have to be ok taking on the risk of his deal as he ages without the Wings paying a premium for you to do it. Maybe a minor add to Nielsen for Nelson but that NYI 2nd is too much.

Also Franzen is not a big issue, he's basically on perma LTIR.

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think it’s hilarious that fans from every team in the league is worried about the Wings Cap Space and them signing Larkin

I mean, if you look at the five teams with the least cap space in the league right now according to capfriendly, it's St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, and Detroit. Only one of those teams is in a rebuild.

Reactions: Schwartzee

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No interest in sacrificing what looks like could be a real early 2nd to get rid of a contract that isn't currently causing any problems nor should it into the foreseeable future. Nielsen isn't great by any means but he isn't currently blocking anybody and is a solid placeholder at 3C until one of the kids is ready to take over in a couple years.

Basically the trade is 2 cap dumps and a 2nd rounder for a player who you probably can recoup that 2nd rounder at the deadline and 2 guys who may not have much value but aren't negative value. How exactly is this a bad deal for the wings?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm sure the Islanders would like a better #2C than Brock Nelson. But it's not like he's useless. His last 4 seasons, dating back, saw him get 35, 45, 40, and 42 points. So he's a capable and consistent pivot.

I don't think Nielsen is much better, to be honest. And with the age difference (6 years?) and salary difference, I'm betting NYI would prefer to keep their guy, rather than go back to a former player.

The Franzon dump for a 2nd part of the deal doesn't sound sweet for NYI either.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mother of God this is bad for the Isles...

And it shouldn't need repeating, but for the 1,000th time, DETROIT DOESN'T NEED TO MOVE ANY CAP TO SIGN DYLAN LARKIN.

Reactions: Larkin1578

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'm an Islander fan and was trying to be as little of a homer as I could be and I'm sure I steered into the positive value for Detroit, however do you think there's a deal that could work here? I know Nielsen is overpaid, but I do admit I miss him here and would be willing to retake on the contract if the deal was right.
Isles already made one trade for a former Islander who is a shell of his former self but beloved by fans. I don't get why this is a thing, there's a reason we let these guys go.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I mean, if you look at the five teams with the least cap space in the league right now according to capfriendly, it's St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, and Detroit. Only one of those teams is in a rebuild.
Lots of garbage coming off the payroll in the next two years. No need to clear anything yet.

That said the original is terrible for the isles.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Basically the trade is 2 cap dumps and a 2nd rounder for a player who you probably can recoup that 2nd rounder at the deadline and 2 guys who may not have much value but aren't negative value. How exactly is this a bad deal for the wings?

Nielsen isn't a cap dump, he's an overpaid 3C but he can still play hockey at a decent level. Franzen is not a big deal to the Wings going forward, they will be flush with cap next summer and won't need to do the LTIR maneuvering they're doing with him this year to maximize their cap space

So it's essentially two contracts that aren't causing problems for Detroit + a late 1st/early 2nd for a winger they have no spot or use for and two throw in prospects with no value to Detroit just so Detroit can clear cap space they won't need when Nelson's deal expires next summer.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So it's essentially two contracts that aren't causing problems for Detroit + a late 1st/early 2nd for a winger they have no spot or use for and two throw in prospects with no value to Detroit just so Detroit can clear cap space they won't need when Nelson's deal expires next summer.

It's a 2nd round pick, for all we know the Islanders make the playoffs and that pick is mid second, where the hell do you get "late first". As for 2 prospects the wings can't use, given their defense Mayfield might be a decent pickup

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It's a 2nd round pick, for all we know the Islanders make the playoffs and that pick is mid second, where the hell do you get "late first". As for 2 prospects the wings can't use, given their defense Mayfield might be a decent pickup

Early 2nd round picks are sometimes referred to being akin to having a late 1st. Often times there are a few prospects left over in those spots with 1st round grades.

But you're right it is too early to say that pick will be in that range.

As far as Mayfield no I don't see him being any better than the many D prospects Wings have coming up. At best he just adds to a logjam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad