Proposal: Detroit | NYI

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Lou has said it's an evaluation season, which means rebuild to me. While the door is open for the Isles to be a Cinderella team if everything comes together magically, they're likely going to be relatively bad. Trotz will have them playing hard every night and they'll be a pain in the ass to play against, they just lack the high end talent to win consistently. Too many question marks on defense and in goal. The Isles have a ton of pending UFA's and some with real value. I see Lee, Eberle, Nelson, and possible Lehner dealt for picks and prospects. The kids waiting in line like Bellows and Ho-Sang get their half season to audition for next season.

Stockpile talent at the draft with likely multiple 1sts and 2nds with one possibly top-5ish. Wahlstrom and Dobson could very well be in the mix in 2019-2020. Lou takes on the Russian Mob and gets Sorokin over. The Isles will have a ton of cap space and the assets to make a trade of maybe even sign someone of significance.

Suddenly the Isles are a young team worth watching again.
Exactly. It's going to be a waiting period to see which young talent turns into something and which doesn't. Lou wants to evaluate but they don't want to go full on Edmonton and implode from within to win the lottery by a long shot (and win it 3 of the following 5 years as well). If the team just doesn't win because of the lack of high end talent, so be it.

Personally, I feel as if Eberle may be signed during the season since he seems to be one of the few guys who can keep up with Barzal. I would sign him for a 4 year deal (4.5-5.5m per season max). Lee will be interesting to see what happens since you know who wont be trying to play 1 against 5 to throw pucks on net with him. As for Nelson, he's just an odd man out based on numbers and Lehner is a 1 year prove it deal. If he's good, awesome but if he's terrible, send him down and bring up Gibson. Same goes for Greiss.

It seems like people think the Islanders have Chayka as a GM and they want to dump every bad contract onto the to eat up space. Garth never did that, he seemed to move out guys who would turn into that (Freddy Meyer for Zhitnik rings a bell).

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Exactly. It's going to be a waiting period to see which young talent turns into something and which doesn't. Lou wants to evaluate but they don't want to go full on Edmonton and implode from within to win the lottery by a long shot (and win it 3 of the following 5 years as well). If the team just doesn't win because of the lack of high end talent, so be it.

Personally, I feel as if Eberle may be signed during the season since he seems to be one of the few guys who can keep up with Barzal. I would sign him for a 4 year deal (4.5-5.5m per season max). Lee will be interesting to see what happens since you know who wont be trying to play 1 against 5 to throw pucks on net with him. As for Nelson, he's just an odd man out based on numbers and Lehner is a 1 year prove it deal. If he's good, awesome but if he's terrible, send him down and bring up Gibson. Same goes for Greiss.

It seems like people think the Islanders have Chayka as a GM and they want to dump every bad contract onto the to eat up space. Garth never did that, he seemed to move out guys who would turn into that (Freddy Meyer for Zhitnik rings a bell).

Lou assembled this team to be the modern day LaFontaine led Isles. It's all about Barzal taking the next step in his game and making sure no one takes any liberties with him. The team will have to draft well and build from within, let the new young core systematically replace the veteran placeholders over the next 2 years. The team will be expansion proof and with hopefully more compliance buyouts in the next CBA, have salary cap and roster flexibility.

Reactions: IODCPiper

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This boggles my mind. Wing's fans on here trying to drive home the point that they "don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin". It's like their entire fan base is an example of a bad argument pitch.

Is Dylan Larkin really the be all end all to the Wing's team building strategy? Because you don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin, ergo, you don't need cap space for any other reason? I'm by no means saying anybody should be thrilled with the OP's proposal, but to have Wing's fans shooting it down because of that one silly thing is incredibly naive. There's absolutely nobody else you would like to have the cash to sign or trade for in the upcoming season?!?!
I'm guessing Wings fans have gotten a bunch of "garbage for garbage" offers to help with cap space and they're sick of it. It's a tough situation and maybe it's just better to ride it out and hope for a #1 pick. If they need to make a cap dump to sign a big UFA they'll do it when necessary.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lou assembled this team to be the modern day LaFontaine led Isles. It's all about Barzal taking the next step in his game and making sure no one takes any liberties with him. The team will have to draft well and build from within, let the new young core systematically replace the veteran placeholders over the next 2 years. The team will be expansion proof and with hopefully more compliance buyouts in the next CBA, have salary cap and roster flexibility.

once again, right on point. it cannot be over emphasized that the new arena will be opened in the next 3 years. its only logical that the plan is to take that time as a "evaluative period" to not only add assets but to also streamline the operation, determine who are long term assets and weed out those who will not be. it wouldnt surprise me to see Andrew Ladd or Johnny Boychuck moved, during this period perhaps with a quality asset that they dont see as fitting in their vision of the "New Islanders".

its a free money period. certain fans wont like it. thats a given, but it would be foolish to do it any other way. winning is a secondary concern for the time being and that is as it should be

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm guessing they signed Johnston and traded for Martin to help scare people off who may want to try something with Barzal. The short-term signings are exactly that, to minimize the loss of player. I'm sure he'll do the same thing next season so all he has to protect are the core players. If the draft was to be in 2019 and not 2020, they'd risk losing Hickey, Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas or someone of that caliber (not too sure if they'd protect Leddy or Boychuk). The kids coming up will be exciting to watch in the next 2-4 years. I'm curious to see if Wahlstrom wants to ride out college for 4 years and get his degree or jump into the NHL after 1-2 seasons. He has an insane amount of raw talent.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm guessing they signed Johnston and traded for Martin to help scare people off who may want to try something with Barzal. The short-term signings are exactly that, to minimize the loss of player. I'm sure he'll do the same thing next season so all he has to protect are the core players. If the draft was to be in 2019 and not 2020, they'd risk losing Hickey, Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas or someone of that caliber (not too sure if they'd protect Leddy or Boychuk). The kids coming up will be exciting to watch in the next 2-4 years. I'm curious to see if Wahlstrom wants to ride out college for 4 years and get his degree or jump into the NHL after 1-2 seasons. He has an insane amount of raw talent.

Wahlstrom will be one and done at BC. He's almost guaranteed an NHL spot in 2019-2020 and it would likely be next to Barzal with Eberle out of the mix. He's a plus skater and he's already solid at 6'1" and 208, he just needs to refine his game and get used to playing with young men. That wicked shot should translate to the NHL. If the hockey gods give the Isles another gift with a lottery win, Hughes was Wahlstrom's center last year and they were dynamic. The timing is perfect where he can avoid a difficult transition season and then join the team on it's rebound after bottoming out.

Losing Hickey, Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas is kind of the plan in the expansion draft. At that point, it wouldn't be too difficult to get rid of their contracts. Cizikas will be a pending UFA and Clutterbuck will have 2 years left and would be easier to manage. Martin only has 2 years left so he's gone anyway. The way Ross Johnston's contract is structured, it can be buried in the minors and no one would claim in him within the next 2 years. With Martin's roster spot open, Ross is in the NHL for the next 2 years. The only contracts left would be Bailey, Komorov and Leddy with 2 years remaining. Pulock, Beauvillier, and Barzal the main long term contracts to the 'core'.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
and yet you were perfectly fine with sending us Franzen And Nielsen who are 10 Million in cap dumps and are considerably older as well. As a counter offer Id say thats much more fair than the original. So I guess you have no problem when its Your team doing the dumping, but you get upset when its yours being dumped on?

The only problem here is with your ability to read.

Mother of God this is bad for the Isles...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The only problem here is with your ability to read.
no the only thing is you failed comprehension youre complaining about a counter offer that has you taking on 9M in cap dumps, when the original offer was sending the isles 10 million in cap dumps

it TOTALLY WENT OVER YOUR HEAD that the counter offer wasnt a serious proposal. but merely designed to show the op how ridiculous the original Proposal was

I read fine. it was your utter lack of comprehension that was the issue

everybody else in the thread got it as intended, Except you. do you need us to draw you a picture?

i assume, miscs75 is a shark fan from his avatar, and the rest of us understood his point, except you

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
This boggles my mind. Wing's fans on here trying to drive home the point that they "don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin". It's like their entire fan base is an example of a bad argument pitch.

Is Dylan Larkin really the be all end all to the Wing's team building strategy? Because you don't need cap space to sign Dylan Larkin, ergo, you don't need cap space for any other reason? I'm by no means saying anybody should be thrilled with the OP's proposal, but to have Wing's fans shooting it down because of that one silly thing is incredibly naive. There's absolutely nobody else you would like to have the cash to sign or trade for in the upcoming season?!?!

Looking at the current UFA market.......no, there isn't anybody else I'd want to free cap space for.

Larkin and Puempel are the only ones left for the Wings to sign. Wings should be able to fully bury Puempel's new cap hit in the AHL. That shouldn't affect anything.

No doubt Holland has to walk a salary cap tightrope when Larkin eventually signs, but as long as both sides keep a level head about the situation, I'm 100% sure it will be doable.

As for the OP.....I mean, yea sure, I'd personally do it in a heartbeat if I was Wings GM right now, but there's no way I see Isles willingly offer that up.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
no the only thing is you failed comprehension youre complaining about a counter offer that has you taking on 9M in cap dumps, when the original offer was sending the isles 10 million in cap dumps

it TOTALLY WENT OVER YOUR HEAD that the counter offer wasnt a serious proposal. but merely designed to show the op how ridiculous the original Proposal was

I read fine. it was your utter lack of comprehension that was the issue

everybody else in the thread got it as intended, Except you. do you need us to draw you a picture?

i assume, miscs75 is a shark fan from his avatar, and the rest of us understood his point, except you

I appreciate that you are attempting to re-write the narrative as if you didn't accuse me of being fine with the OP when I clearly said it was bad for the Isles, but it wont work. You put your foot in your mouth. Own up to it.

But just for a recap...

and yet you were perfectly fine with sending us Franzen And Nielsen who are 10 Million in cap dumps and are considerably older as well. As a counter offer Id say thats much more fair than the original. So I guess you have no problem when its Your team doing the dumping, but you get upset when its yours being dumped on?

Mother of God this is bad for the Isles...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I appreciate that you are attempting to re-write the narrative as if you didn't accuse me of being fine with the OP when I clearly said it was bad for the Isles, but it wont work. You put your foot in your mouth. Own up to it.

i didnt say that, I clearly stated that you were complaining about 9m in cap dumps going to detroit when you clearly didnt make the same fuss about detroit sending 10 million to the Islanders

totally overlooking that the second trade, the counter offer, wasnt serious to begin with. thats on you buddy, the mere fact that you questioned My reading skills, proves it went over your head completely. I wonder if you still dont comprehend that the counter offer wasnt a serious proposal.

maybe we do need to draw you a picture

ask miscs75 im sure he'll tell you

the point being why would you make ANY FUSS AT ALL, if you comprehended that the counter offer wasnt a serious offer at all? but rather an attempt to kindly show the op how and why his original offer was not greeted well

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
i didnt say that, I clearly stated that you were complaining about 9m in cap dumps going to detroit when you clearly didnt make the same fuss about detroit sending 10 million to the Islanders

totally overlooking that the second trade, the counter offer, wasnt serious to begin with. thats on you buddy, the mere fact that you questioned My reading skills, proves it went over your head completely. I wonder if you still dont comprehend that the counter offer wasnt a serious proposal.

maybe we do need to draw you a picture

ask miscs75 im sure he'll tell you

Just stop while you're ahead. :laugh:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
:naughty:
Just stop while you're ahead. :laugh:
you keep sticking your foot in your mouth why should I stop when you keep digging yourself in deeper:naughty:

I repeat Miscs75 doesnt appear to be an Islander fan, the only one who didnt grasp his meaning was YOU

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

When the entire ****ing premise of about 1000 topics is "HOLY **** DETROIT NEEDS TO SAVE CAP TO SIGN LARKIN, LET'S OFFER THEM **** TO TAKE FRANZEN" (no doubt brought on by Chicago trading Hossa's contract),
we tend to focus in on that.

And in a rebuild where we are clearing a boatload of cash in just one year by doing absolutely nothing and we will have a mostly complete roster still? Yes, Dylan Larkin is the be-all, end-all to our build strategy in summer 2018. None of the assets that we have and are willing to give up will bring back anyone we need significant cap room for. Larkin is quite literally the only significant move that Detroit will have to make for the remainder of this summer. In the coming season... we lose

-Jimmy Howard's 5.3M
-Thomas Vanek's 3M
-Gustav Nyquist's 4.75M
-Niklas Kronwall's 4.75M

Franzen is down to his last year on his LTIR deal.

So, at a minimum, we are clearing 17.8M and they could easily replace the lost production from those four guys for a third of the price (Howard back on a 2.5M deal or a different backup to Bernier. Zadina up for good for Nyquist. Rasmussen up for good for Vanek. Literally any GR D for broken ass Nick Kronwall.) Green has a year left on his deal, Ericsson has a year left on his deal, Daley has a year left on his deal.

Seriously, if the Wings wanted to, they could install 5 new defensemen into their lineup by the trading deadline. 50% retention on any of those guys and all of a sudden, you get a halfway okay pick for Trevor Daley at 1.67M or a mid round one for Ericsson at 2.125.

But please, keep trying to "help out Detroit" to get cap space that they oh so desperately need.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

The Red Wings aren't competing for anything this season, there's no reason they need cap space for a trade deadline acquisition or anything like that. In future seasons, even if the cap doesn't rise at all from it's current 79.5M in coming years (obviously it will), the Red Wings currently have 24M in cap space next offseason and 49M in cap space the offseason after that. Somehow, I think they'll survive.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I mean, if you look at the five teams with the least cap space in the league right now according to capfriendly, it's St. Louis, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, and Detroit. Only one of those teams is in a rebuild.

So? Since the Wings are in a rebuild, by should they be spending draft picks to clear cap space? Clearing out cap space for what? They're rebuilding, as you just said.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
UGH!!!! Detroit doesn't need to trade Franzen! He goes to LTIR, as he would on any team he was on! Detroit isn't and neither is any other team, giving up a quality asset to move him.

Also to the member who pointed out, that Larkin isn't the only reason for cap space, and while that is true, for this season, we don't need any. If you know anything about Ken Holland, he really doesn't make trades, and until next offseason there won't be any need to have space, as VERY likely, money (Nyquist and maybe others), is going out, giving us that OH SO Valuable Cap Space.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
As of now all the Wings need to do is get Larkin signed..which will happen. After that with no other moves they’ll have 16-18 mil in Cap Space next offseason. The Wings won’t trade their first or either of the 2nds..they want prospects

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Over the next two seasons we have a boatload of cap space being freed up yet people make a big deal about how much trouble we're in and have to go in panic mode to resign our youth which the only one that hasn't signed is Larkin only because the details are still being worked over.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

We're saying it's not necessary and the fact that it's been overstated means your comprehension skills suck.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Because we know our cap situation. We read articles about it. We don't look at cap friendly and freak out.

If Larkin is signed for less than 6.25 million, we can designate Frk and Zadina to GR and use Franzen as LTIR and we're under on day one. If Larkin is signed for more than 6.25 million we need to make a move of a player of 3M or more, AA seems like a solid candidate. In the extremely unlikely event that we sign him to a bridge deal around 5 million, we don't really have to do anything but waive Frk or Witter.

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-salary-cap-larkin/

Take care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad