Pre-Game Talk: Detroit @ New Jersey 7:00PM EST Tuesday March 4th, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We have a ways to go, figured we could start a discussion here. Could be Marty's final game in New Jersey. Hope the strong start out of the break continues, curious to see what Babcock does with the lineups or if Holland adds someone in the next couple days.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
With all due respect to Bertuzzi, I'm really hoping we get the same lineup and lines that we had last game. Nyquist doesn't need to be wasting shifts on the 4th line. That's just stupid to me.

I'm anxious to hear about Datsyuk. I know he didn't come out for the 3rd period in Ottawa for precautionary reasons, but everyday I wake up fearing to hear that he's sitting out.

I expect more of the same from the Kid Line. A lot of positive energy from that trio night in and night out lately. How much Babcock has been using them is very encouraging, and hats off to them, because they've earned it.

And hopefully a slump busting game here for the Helm unit. They've not played bad necessarily, spending more time in the offensive zone than their own, but they're not creating as many chances or finishing as the previous stint together. Helm particularly has seemed to lose some of his jump lately, which isn't shocking considering how much hockey he's missed. Overall I'm not too worried about them though.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
We need to won both games to bury new Jersey. This will kill their season.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I think we're going to overtake Toronto by the end and possibly Montreal.

Toronto's next 4 games (Montreal, Columbus, NYR, and Philly) are all against teams that we're battling against in the points battle. 2 pt games would be ideal for us. After that they have to travel to Cali to face those 3 teams.

All of that is out of Detroit's control obviously, but we're in a pretty ideal situation considering everything. Just win baby.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i hope the lineup remains basically the same, except lets hope weiss is good to go and steps in for glendening/eaves and pushes Helm back to the fourth line for now(that third line is too good to break up)

franzen-datsyuk-nyquist
abby-weiss-alffie
tatar-sheahan-jurco
miller-helm-glendening

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
i hope the lineup remains basically the same, except lets hope weiss is good to go and steps in for glendening/eaves and pushes Helm back to the fourth line for now(that third line is too good to break up)

franzen-datsyuk-nyquist
abby-weiss-alffie
tatar-sheahan-jurco
miller-helm-glendening

Glendening is waiver-exempt. Andersson is not.

Last edited:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Khan (via Twitter) says that at today's practice, Bertuzzi is rotating with Eaves on the 4th line alongside Andersson and Miller. Weiss is practicing as well. Datsyuk has been given the weekend off to rest his knee. Cleary is not at practice, as he has decided to retire, effective immediately. Just kidding; he's only sick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've found that Holland doesnt wait until the exact dead line day to make moves. Will be interesting to see if theres a new player on the roster for this game or if some players have been moved out.

If the wings can pick up wins in 2 of the next 3 they should be in good shape. I definnitely think they can catch the leafs with that road trip they still have, and maybe the Habs with Price out

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
With all due respect to Bertuzzi, I'm really hoping we get the same lineup and lines that we had last game. Nyquist doesn't need to be wasting shifts on the 4th line. That's just stupid to me....

...And hopefully a slump busting game here for the Helm unit. They've not played bad necessarily, spending more time in the offensive zone than their own, but they're not creating as many chances or finishing as the previous stint together. Helm particularly has seemed to lose some of his jump lately, which isn't shocking considering how much hockey he's missed. Overall I'm not too worried about them though.

It would be criminally ignorant if the Wings try that again, Bertuzzi taking Gus's spot. It's cool that Nyquist was tested and proved his 100% worth in the top 6. He is the best player on any line.

Good description of the Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson line. They've had two games to get it going and there isn't a whole bunch of chemistry there. Is Alfie weighing that line down? He's actually had 2 points in 2 games. Helmer and Abbie I'm looking for more. I've seen Abdelkader causing havoc in the offensive zone at times previously, his name announced again and again. Those two are a little quiet for my liking.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
It would be criminally ignorant if the Wings try that again, Bertuzzi taking Gus's spot. It's cool that Nyquist was tested and proved his 100% worth in the top 6. He is the best player on any line.

Good description of the Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson line. They've had two games to get it going and there isn't a whole bunch of chemistry there. Is Alfie weighing that line down? He's actually had 2 points in 2 games. Helmer and Abbie I'm looking for more. I've seen Abdelkader causing havoc in the offensive zone at times previously, his name announced again and again. Those two are a little quiet for my liking.

If Weiss returns to form, he'll almost certainly be replacing Helm on that line. Helm just honestly ain't looking all that great. He lacks his usual explosiveness. Anyway, he's always been better suited to the bottom six.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Darren Helm has looked below average since returning. Alfredsson isn't the 5 on 5 player that he once was as well.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Darren Helm has looked below average since returning. Alfredsson isn't the 5 on 5 player that he once was as well.

Helm has looked fine. Just isn't scoring. Alfie is just another forward out there most nights. I understand why some want to bring him back. I just wouldn't.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Helm has looked fine. Just isn't scoring. Alfie is just another forward out there most nights. I understand why some want to bring him back. I just wouldn't.

3rd on the team for scoring and almost .8 pts per game. Relatively healthy.

I think it comes down to price for me

NyquistIsMyGod*

Um, no. Helm's been worse with the puck, and his decision making hasn't been near where it was before the injury.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Um, no. Helm's been worse with the puck, and his decision making hasn't been near where it was before the injury.

He hasn't been as quick or as tenacious as he usually is either.

But once again, this is to be expected. We seen him come out flying when he first returned, which often happens due to adrenaline and general excitement. But then players hit that lull for a while. He'll snap out of it before too soon IMO.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He's been fine. Has his moments. But yeah I'll agree that he's not playing at the level he was at prior to his latest injury.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
New Jersey has been playing some good hockey the last couple games, we do need to take advantage of the fact that game will be their third in four days and we have the rest, assuming we get through the first ten minutes where the layoff impacts the Wings legs and they are ready to go, we should get progressively stronger as they weaken.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Malik on Cleary:
Malik said:
This is not encouraging, but perhaps predictable:

Ansar Khan said:
Daniel Cleary did not practice Saturday due to an unspecified illness. He was limping and needed a cart to get from the dressing room to the parking lot.

I'm going to say this as politely as possible:

It took Babcock and Ken Holland all damn season long to figure out that Daniel Cleary's long history of debilitating and degenerative knee and groin injuries have reduced his effectiveness from slim to nil on a nightly basis.

The only person who doesn't understand this is Daniel Cleary, and I hope he understands that there is no shame in retiring at 35.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad